Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by johnw

I had a largish blackbird (grackle) looking bird with a distinctly yellow head. I may have seen it in the book but don't really remember. Anyway, it's a first for eyes on. Any idea what it is?

My wife, and my Petersons came home last night. Looked yellow head up and he is called the Yellow Headed Blackbird. Peterson shows his year round range to include my home and lists his appearance as "fairly common". Hmmm
I've lived in this area for 30 of my last 40 years, and graduated high school here farther back than that. As mentioned Yellow Head is a first for me.

On the same page is the eastern meadowlark. listed as "uncommon to fairly common" These are so common here that I barely notice them and never mention them as a bird I've seen. I can walk out the door pretty much any day of the year and I'll see or hear one within a couple of minutes.

Disparities in authoritative books like this make me wonder. To be fair, I'm at the far end of Yellow Heads range.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
[Linked Image]

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
And I too watched The Big Year last night.

Not my typical movie but enjoyable

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[quote=renegade50]Okay.
As much as I have given some of you guys a hard time about humming birds.

I have never killed one.
But I have back handed one bugging me Turkey hunting several years ago.

This is the 2nd year "mrs robin"has came back to this nest

This was her 1st hatch this year, about 2 weeks ago the young flew the coop
Their were 3 of em.

[Linked Image]

She is currently sitting on a new clutch of eggs .
At night when I take the 3 dogs out for their bedtime piss one at a time, it dont phase her at all.

Last year when she had established the nest.
She had one set of young .
Then another.
One evening my youngest daughter was home from college
Came running down stairs and said a big snake was on the ledge and on top of the nest. And scared the hell outta her when she came home.

Mutha fugging 6ft long black racer full of baby birds.

Got my machete.
Flicked that prick off the ledge with it.
Fugging thing couldn't move very fast on the lawn with a belly full of baby robins
I lopped that fuggers head off 1st chop.
Threw the SOB head and body in the woods across my fence.

Coksucker ate 4 baby robins.
But the amazing thing was it went almost 8ft up a brick wall
to get at that nest.

I hate snakes.........

I only kill Turkey and doves.....

Not dumb humming birds....[/q
You need one of these in the neighborhood...

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Birdy could give a much more qualified answer than me, but since TX is a major migration path for birds, I’m betting we’ve probably got a better variety at certain major migration peaks than most states.

Texas has more DIFFERENT kind of birds than any other state, either living in it or migrating across it, because we are so wide and have so many different habitats somewhere in the state. As to more different kind of birds in any one place at any given time, not so much.

In the spring birds piling up on the coast after having flown across the Gulf of Mexico from the Yucatán can be spectacular in bad weather. However since so many birds are heading to the north east from the Yucatán, the coast of Louisiana tends to get better fallouts than does anywhere in Texas. Louisiana being closer to a straight line between two points. On the other hand, good luck finding desert and high mountain species in Louisiana.

Every location is different and best appreciated on its own merits, for example upstate New York in the first two weeks of May can be just incredible. As the birds get closer to their breeding grounds they all start to sing and while you might not get that same huge variety of species in one day as on the Gulf Coast , in that setting in the spring up there with all the trees just beginner by to leaf out it can be beautiful. I miss being up there every Spring..

Migration is complex, when my relatives are seeing orioles grosbeaks and hummingbirds in May up in New York State we still have those same species passing through down here, the ones we are seeing still being more’n 1000 miles or more away from their breeding grounds up in Canada. The ones we still have coming through about now are heading way the heck north to areas still covered in snow, and so are on a different timetable than their New York brethren.

For hummingbird migration you can’t beat the Western states and the Rockies. Especially in the fall. Coming back south the hummingbirds are feeding on wildflowers in high Mountain Meadows. So for them they’re really flying between mountains, these mountains being isolated islands of habitat that they must fly between. Go up in the Sacramento mountains of New Mexico around July 4, when the hummingbirds are already heading back south, hold out a feeder at arms length and you will be instantly surrounded by about 30 hummingbirds who will feed on the feeder until your arm gets tired. I had never seen anything like it.

The short version of all this is, when it comes to the birds it’s best just to appreciate what you got wherever you happen to be.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't have a bird feeder up. Neighbor does. Says he has one really fat gopher.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
On the same page is the eastern meadowlark. listed as "uncommon to fairly common" These are so common here that I barely notice them and never mention them as a bird I've seen. I can walk out the door pretty much any day of the year and I'll see or hear one within a couple of minutes.

Disparities in authoritative books like this make me wonder.

Peterson's was the original bird guide, but that first edition was around sixty or maybe seventy years ago, obviously bird populations change over time and we certainly have a lot more information now, so that may depend on what edition of Petersen's you have and when it was updated.

Also, the range maps and population status indicated in a brief paragraph in any bird guide are attempting to generalize, often across ranges extending 2,000 miles across or more. Within the range, habitat is gonna be the key. Can't throw a rock without hitting a red-winged blackbird in a cattail bed, but you'll see nary a one in the middle of a forest, except maybe rarely passing overhead.

For the most specific info for your location google on "Eastern Meadowlark breeding bird atlas", if your state has one click on that link and you'll see a range map in varying shades, usually of blue, the deeper the blue the more common that bird is in that particular locale,

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No need to go so far afield....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Birdy could give a much more qualified answer than me, but since TX is a major migration path for birds, I’m betting we’ve probably got a better variety at certain major migration peaks than most states.

Texas has more DIFFERENT kind of birds than any other state, either living in it or migrating across it, because we are so wide and have so many different habitats somewhere in the state. As to more different kind of birds in any one place at any given time, not so much.

In the spring birds piling up on the coast after having flown across the Gulf of Mexico from the Yucatán can be spectacular in bad weather. However since so many birds are heading to the north east from the Yucatán, the coast of Louisiana tends to get better fallouts than does anywhere in Texas. Louisiana being closer to a straight line between two points. On the other hand, good luck finding desert and high mountain species in Louisiana.

Every location is different and best appreciated on its own merits, for example upstate New York in the first two weeks of May can be just incredible. As the birds get closer to their breeding grounds they all start to sing and while you might not get that same huge variety of species in one day as on the Gulf Coast , in that setting in the spring up there with all the trees just beginner by to leaf out it can be beautiful. I miss being up there every Spring..

Migration is complex, when my relatives are seeing orioles grosbeaks and hummingbirds in May up in New York State we still have those same species passing through down here, the ones we are seeing still being more’n 1000 miles or more away from their breeding grounds up in Canada. The ones we still have coming through about now are heading way the heck north to areas still covered in snow, and so are on a different timetable than their New York brethren.

For hummingbird migration you can’t beat the Western states and the Rockies. Especially in the fall. Coming back south the hummingbirds are feeding on wildflowers in high Mountain Meadows. So for them they’re really flying between mountains, these mountains being isolated islands of habitat that they must fly between. Go up in the Sacramento mountains of New Mexico around July 4, when the hummingbirds are already heading back south, hold out a feeder at arms length and you will be instantly surrounded by about 30 hummingbirds who will feed on the feeder until your arm gets tired. I had never seen anything like it.

The short version of all this is, when it comes to the birds it’s best just to appreciate what you got wherever you happen to be.

Thanks Mike!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Over on the Mississippi today near Savanna IL and Sabula IA... Red headed woodpeckers, Downy woodpeckers, Hummingbird, Baltimore Oriole, Bluebird, White Pelicans, Tundra Swans, Mallards, blue jays, gold finches, house finches, White Egret, Blue Heron, bald eagle, vultures, anadians, Cormorants

And several small shore birds that I simply suck at identifying.

Probably 4-5 warbler types that are impossible to identify

"Chances Will Be Taken"

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Was looking out the window to at the feeders was a B-Oriole eating the Grape Jelly, a chipmunk ran him off tryed the Jelly made a face and ran off I guess they dont care for Grape jelly!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mallards again in the morning

[Linked Image]

In the afternoon, a Mississippi Kite spent awhile on the fence and in the hedges trying to catch the sparrows that flock to my feeders.

[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Of course the things that really attract birdwatchers are usually tragedies for the birds involved, a bird several hundred miles out of range is a bird with serious problems and unlikely to survive.

Some just inherit faulty migration instincts. Every fall on fishing boats off our West Coast, misdirected songbirds, young of the year, different species from all over North America will land on the boat, rest for a awhile, and then take off again in a doomed attempt to cross the Pacific. Most migrating birds don't get tired like we do, they stay in the air, burn off their fat, then they burn off their own flight muscles and when they run out, simply go down, if they ain't been caught yet by seabirds for whom overwater migration by songbirds is like Christmas.

I've only ever seen one big fallout on the Gulf Coast, prob'ly thirty years ago, we had taken some students camping and fishing on the coast when a major cold front rolled in. Heavy rain, strong north winds, but the kids insisted on fishing anyway so there we were on a lit up fishing jetty near Rockport TX out in it. A few times a minute a little songbird would pass under the lights just above the water just yards from land, trying to make headway. They whip around like the far edge of a flag in a strong wind. Most I couldn't tell, but Eastern Kingbirds could be told by the white tips on their tails. Next morning every tree and bush festooned with songbirds, clouds of chimney swifts and swallows flying around at waist height, and thousands upon thousands of drowned birds rolling in the tide.

Earlier this month a pretty good turnout of migrants at Corpus Christi, one of which was a way out-of range Hermit Warbler (native to the Pacific Northwest). Hermit Warblers breed in conifers, migrate down the North American mountain chains in high mountain conifers, and winter in conifers in the Mountains of Mexico and Central America. In the spring they follow the same path back, conifers all the way. Anyways, a life bird for me. But in this big cemetery that attracts migrants, a bunch of other warblers were feeding well in the live oak woodlands there, except that one hermit was concentrating on two or three yew trees planted there, sorta like conifers, but being non-native harboring few insects. I got a life bird (doesn't happen very often) but the prognosis for that one warbler was grim.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Mallards again in the morning

[Linked Image]

In the afternoon, a Mississippi Kite spent awhile on the fence and in the hedges trying to catch the sparrows that flock to my feeders.

[Linked Image]

That ain't no Mississippi Kite, that's an adult Cooper's Hawk, at least a couple of years old judging by the deep red irises which means its exceptionally good at what it does (even among Cooper's), which is to catch and kill songbirds.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a Road Runner this afternoon. I think he was hunting the hedges where the sparrows hand out that feed at my feeders. I saw him run across the back yard and hop up into the hedge. I walked around to the street side of the hedge and he popped out onto the brick wall, just momentarily, then saw me and darted back in. In the first photo you can see him standing on the brick ledge, about 10 feet from the end of the ledge. If you have a touch screen you can enlarge the photo and see him clearly.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cool birds.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My son told me we are running a zoo over here at my bird feeders!

[Linked Image]

I never knew that rabbits were fond of bird seed.

[Linked Image]

The hen mallard was at the feeder by herself. That tells me that she left her drake to sit on the eggs in her nest. Or worse, the drake has come to a terminal end of life.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Saw my first female Downing Woodpecker this afternoon.

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
What's At Your Feeder?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Squirrels mostly.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (257man, 222ND, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 62 invisible), 2,675 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,686
Posts18,534,471
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.