Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
U
usull Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Got a busted-up right arm and am ditching my Gas Weedeater . Got a small yard so don't really need anything super heavy duty . I see they make 20 Volt as well as 60 and 80 Volt Rechargeable Battery Models . Prices range from $60 to around $200 . How long do these Batteries last and which Brand Whacker and Battery Size is the best BANG for the Buck ?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had a Green Works 80V weedeater for a couple of years. The battery lasts as long as a tank of gas in my old 2-stroke trimmer. I have no complaints with it and would buy another if this one quit. I don't ever plan on owning a gas powered one again.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My situation is similar to yours, I've had rotator surgery on both shoulders and have a small yard. I have a Ryobi 20V trimmer which I've hd for 4 years now, just replaced the battery this spring with one that is good for 2 hrs. before needing to be charged. I use the battery in the trimmer and the blower and it has more power and plenty of battery life to trim my yard.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I got the DeWalt 20V model. I can do my trimming at least 3x on a 4Amp/hr battery. Simple decision as I already have other DeWalt 20V tools so I just bought the bare trimmer.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D

Originally Posted by horse1
I got the DeWalt 20V model. I can do my trimming at least 3x on a 4Amp/hr battery. Simple decision as I already have other DeWalt 20V tools so I just bought the bare trimmer.

My answer as well.

NRA Patron
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Bought a DeWalt 20V two years ago since it matched batteries for my other tools. Using the 5Ah battery runs for plenty of time to do my trimming. I'd never go back to a gas trimmer again. Thinking about the DeWalt lawnmower...

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Roybi,whatever volt you can find and pick up.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I bought a WORKS 20 v trimmer /blower kit
Light weight, but does what I need
Haven;t even used the blower yet-- hate those things--

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i got my wife a 18 volt Ryobi she likes it but don't like the high out put battery they work her to long between charges

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Contractor buddy has Milwaukee tools and bought his wife a Milwaukee weedeater for battery matching. Says it works awesome for what they keep 'manicured' around the house on their farm.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been using the WORX weed eater for 4 or 5 years now and it works good. It doesn't hurt my shoulders and back, and is quiet. It is the most powerful model. Two batteries! I think 20Volt model. You get free cutting line forever with it! Of course there is some shipping. The cutting line is kind of serrated plastic and is tough and no winding!
I have a feeling the DeWalt might be as good or better, but I know my WORX out performed my brother in law/s B&D.

Ken

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a Black and Decker 20V model, with two batteries. Lasts long enough to do my entire yard (1.5 acres). Works great.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Black and Decker 20V has worked for us for typical turf grass trimming around the lawn. Anything outside the dog yard/lawn area and I need the gas one. If it ever dies I may look into an 80V though. We've had battery lawnmowers for a few years, I worked out of town for months at a time and didn't want my wife to have to deal with gas cans and such. Have a new set of batteries on order for that. I'll likely never own a gas mower again unless it's a big riding job for large areas.

Good luck, it seems like the consensus here is to just pick one and go for it. A lot to be said if you already own hand tools with a compatible battery, no need for different chargers.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Bought a combo pack 18 volt Black & Decker weed-eater and blower a few years back. The two batteries that came with it are ni-cad which haven't lasted long in use nor do they stay charged for long even with out using. As ni-cad batteries run down the tool gets gradually slower and slower and around midway into a job starts to really not accomplish much. The batteries also take several hours to fully recharge again. With a fresh full charge the weed eater trims okay but has a small diameter cutting width.

The only time I use the weed-eater anymore is when we visit family graves to trim around the head stones. The blower gets used mainly to blow grass clippings off sidewalk and driveway after mowing and it just barely gets that done before the battery becomes too weak to use. Lithium batteries are supposed to be a lot better about holding a charge longer. If I were to buy another I would go with one that uses lithium batteries and a higher volt unit as well.

As always, YMMV.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I bought a battery powered Toro several years ago. If it ever dies I'll buy another.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a 56 volt Echo, it’s great and I’ll never go back to gasoline power.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I bought an 18 volt Ryobi many years ago. The battery lasted three or four years, after it crapped I bought a two pack of generic from Amazon and they are still going strong (don't remember what they cost but it wasn't very much). For a small yard it's all you need and it's very light, I'd never go back to gas.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by horse1

Whoa! 3x?

I am MAGA.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
I would go with a EGO 56V system, 6 years ago we got an early model of their ego mover and it is rated more powerful than a 3.5 HP gas and I believe it. Great mower my wife loves it! We also have the leaf blower, it is great blowing 580CFM at 168 mph. Same battery runs the weed wacker, I do not have one yet.. but my neighbor across the street has one and it does a great job. They also have chainsaws, trimmers, and snow blowers and riding mowers (they need 2 batteries) .

Their service is top notch, after 2 and a half years we had an issue with the battery, EGO shipped one out the same day I called free of charge!

This system below allows you to interchange attachments from weed trimmer, to edger, to hedge trimmer or pole saw!

https://egopowerplus.com/power-head/

Ted
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
As my yards stuff dies replacements will be battery powered. Likely Stihl.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

686 members (16gage, 160user, 12344mag, 10ring1, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 2,998 guests, and 1,418 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,617
Posts18,492,622
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.