Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The A/T runs through the town where I went to JR/SR High School. Lots of interesting people passing through. I don't think that any of the local people bothered, or were bothered by, the hikers on the A/T.

My Mother and some of her coworkers and friends would set up an aid station by the trail every couple of weekends from late May thru to the end of October to help hikers with health problems. I recall that we had a single woman named Velma stay with us for a week or so in October 1967/68. She was a through hiker who got sick with a case of pneumonia. I remember that my Mother made her take about 5 showers and a lice treatment at the hospital before she allowed her in our house. She didn't have very good gear, so my Father, in a rare show of kindness, set her up with a nearly complete new set of kit before she left. I remember that she had a huge appetite and enjoyed my Mother's cooking, which was surprising since cooking wasn't one of my Mother's strengths. One day I came home from school and Velma was gone, never to be seen or heard from again. Some people collect stray cats and dogs, my Mother collected stray people.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yep a lot of people must damn near live on the trail.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hotweatherhunter
The snubby model is the one the I have, usually with a sig
P938. It is a great place to keep your keys, phone etc as well as your
Handgun. These chest packs also work great while kayaking or cycling.
What's your mode of carry at the nude beach?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Great thread-some useful information here.

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
If I were to own one of those scary gun things, then I'm betting no one would know I had it until they convinced me they needed to see it.
I see open carry as letting an opponent know part of one's game plan!
In an area where four legged critters were the only concern, if I would need a gun then open carry may be more the first choice.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I always open carry while hiking.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by LouisB
If I were to own one of those scary gun things, then I'm betting no one would know I had it until they convinced me they needed to see it.
In an area where four legged critters were the only concern, if I would need a gun then open carry may be more the first choice.

But then, one never knows!!!

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I never open carry, anywhere. The hill people snubby is my next acquisition.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

A club! ; ]

Trump Won!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by moosemike
I always open carry while hiking.

Good plan.

In my area, bears commonly are present at or near trailheads.

Near interstates, so are other predators.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

A club! ; ]
I always carry me club at the nudist beach.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by UPhiker
I always carry a J when hiking. I got that "danger" feeling once and was glad I had it with me, although I didn't have to pull it.

J frame with a couple of reloads always has been a comfort on the trail. I have been hiking the AT for longer than many folks here have been alive. Not a single time have I been unarmed.

And that ladies and gentleman is a small part of our 2nd “to keep and bear arms”

Good natured folk going about their biz is now construed by Hollywood and liberals as bad ?

Utter bs and in direct violation of our Constitution as I see it

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by jimmyp
the j frame is a lw and great reliable choice.

It sure is.

About 15 years ago I went to an amusement park at a Georgia county fair. We were all active LE at the time, but all of us from out of state. We were all carrying our off duty BUGs. Mike had brought his wife along on the trip, one of several wives as it happened. Anyway, as we were entering the fair grounds, we all saw (and ignored) the sign declaring that no one could enter the fairgrounds if "armed".

Mike's wife grabbed him by the arm and hissed, "Mike! You're armed! We can't go in!"

Mike laughed. "C'mon, I ain't armed. All I'm carrying is a little J-frame."

We all laughed, because we were ALL carrying "little J-frames". We all knew what a 38 Special snub can do.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by LouisB

I'm inclined to agree... I carry a sidearm openly when I'm hunting hogs/deer and bigger game, but it may be out of sight under my coat; it's not there for show. But I also carry a second handgun, typically a light snub revolver, in a concealed location. On the hiking trails I typically have my handgun(s) out of sight. No point in scaring the sheep, and no point in giving a bad guy the advantage of knowing.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I had an encounter with a couple jackazzes around here a couple years back. Up in the Avalanche Gulch for those familiar with the area.

Passed a couple dudes in a parked pickup at the mouth of the gulch as we drove in. We went in a mile or two then went hiking up the road a few miles. On the way back out, these two had stopped their truck on a culvert where the creek flowed under the road. One of each of them was on either side of the truck. It was a choke point.

I summed up the situation from about 100 yards out. I could tell by their body language that something wasn't cool.

That day I didn't have the typical Glock on my strong side. I appeared unarmed from the front, from a distance. But I wasn't unarmed. I had an AR carbine slung on one shoulder, riding along my back. They couldn't see it.

When we got to about 50 yards, they were just watching us, with tense body language. I slipped the AR carbine off my shoulder and held it in my hand just ahead of the receiver letting it swing naturally as we continued toward them.

When they saw the hardware, and my eyes on them, their demeanor changed instantly. They got in the truck, started it up and slowly came our direction looking sheepish, and they continued up the road, while we continued down.

I gave them eye contact and a little head nod as we passed.

I've had a couple of similar incidents.

One of them was at a remote gas station in southern Arizona... I recognized a robbery/kidnapping/murder in progress with myself and my ex-wife as the intended prey. Instead of displaying my firearm, though, I simply pulled the spare Glock 23 magazine from my pocket and held it up as though checking to see if it was fully loaded. Funny thing, the 3 guys advancing on me stopped in their tracks, paused, and without a word turned around and got back into their truck and drove away.

I guess they figured that if a guy has a Glock magazine on him, he probably has a Glock pistol on him, too.

This sort of thing happens MILLIONS of times annually in America. It's got a name in the criminology literature: a DUG (Defensive Use of a Gun). Armed citizens rarely fire upon would-be perpetrators of crimes, because they can avert the criminal activity simply by showing themselves to be armed.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Back in the 80s I went to a boat ramp ... I was driving truck w/ boat trailer, dad was bringing the boat to meet me. Only rig there so I parked on the ramp, then walked up the shore throwing rocks 'n' stuff. A truck pulled up and parked. No trailer so I didn't go back to move out of the way. There's a pile of heaped cobbles ... basketball sized rocks ... in the center of the parking lot making it a sort of circle drive. I was a third of the way around, them a little closer to our truck than I was. 3 guys got out. They came toward that "island" of rock ... one went on each side (thus one of them clearly cut me off from our truck) and one right over the top. I wasn't looking right at them, just keeping an eye out. When they got to about 15 yards, I reached down and pulled the S&W .357 which was shoved cross-draw in my belt out, thumbed the hammer back, and started as if I was drawing a bead on a sea gull. They swapped ends and went back to their truck. That 8-3/4" barrel looks mean. (It is.) Before I could walk back to the truck, dad motored down with the boat. As he was lining up on the trailer they headed for him. He jumped over the side onto the ramp with the anchor rope in his hands and his S&W K frame swung out into view. They turned around and went back toward their truck. As they passed about 30 feet away from me I heard one of them say "that mother f**ker has a gun. all these mother f**kers have guns. What are we going to do?" They got in the truck, sat there a couple minutes and I kept an eye on them as we tied our boat down to the trailer, then they drove away.

I always wondered what would have happened to me minus that gun, or to dad if I hadn't been there and he hadn't been armed himself. Beating? Robbery? Murder?

Made a believer out of me.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DocRocket
...I simply pulled the spare Glock 23 magazine from my pocket and held it up as though checking to see if it was fully loaded. Funny thing, the 3 guys advancing on me stopped in their tracks, paused, and without a word turned around and got back into their truck and drove away.

I guess they figured that if a guy has a Glock magazine on him, he probably has a Glock pistol on him, too.

Well now - that's another reason to carry a spare mag. wink

Wife and I were stopped on our trail bikes on one of the semi-remote mountain dirt roads near here. A beater car came around the corner and passed by me on the left, then stopped. As the guy in the passenger seat started asking wife about a "party they were looking for", I was thinking, "yeah, right" and watching another get out of the opposite back seat and head for the trunk. I put my hand on my gun when it became apparent he wasn't taking a pee break. He noticed that move and hesitated there at the trunk. He actually began to reach for the trunk lid and stopped himself a couple of times before he gave me another sideways glance and jumped back into the car, upon which they immediately sped off. I wasn't about to let him reach into that trunk, and he apparently figured that out.

Just because you left the pavement, doesn't mean you left the dirtbags behind.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
But I also carry a second handgun, typically a light snub revolver, in a concealed location.

this is exactly what i do as well.

i came to that conclusion because in the event of injury, the other person--if having to walk out alone--is also armed.

an additional incentive for me was the idea of being in a remote wilderness location--and having the primary rig experience some type of damage or failure, etc., which might potentially render it inoperable--a second rig, such as a small, powerful snub, can carry the day...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I had an encounter with a couple jackazzes around here a couple years back. Up in the Avalanche Gulch for those familiar with the area.

Passed a couple dudes in a parked pickup at the mouth of the gulch as we drove in. We went in a mile or two then went hiking up the road a few miles. On the way back out, these two had stopped their truck on a culvert where the creek flowed under the road. One of each of them was on either side of the truck. It was a choke point.

I summed up the situation from about 100 yards out. I could tell by their body language that something wasn't cool.

That day I didn't have the typical Glock on my strong side. I appeared unarmed from the front, from a distance. But I wasn't unarmed. I had an AR carbine slung on one shoulder, riding along my back. They couldn't see it.

When we got to about 50 yards, they were just watching us, with tense body language. I slipped the AR carbine off my shoulder and held it in my hand just ahead of the receiver letting it swing naturally as we continued toward them.

When they saw the hardware, and my eyes on them, their demeanor changed instantly. They got in the truck, started it up and slowly came our direction looking sheepish, and they continued up the road, while we continued down.

I gave them eye contact and a little head nod as we passed.

I've had a couple of similar incidents.

One of them was at a remote gas station in southern Arizona... I recognized a robbery/kidnapping/murder in progress with myself and my ex-wife as the intended prey. Instead of displaying my firearm, though, I simply pulled the spare Glock 23 magazine from my pocket and held it up as though checking to see if it was fully loaded. Funny thing, the 3 guys advancing on me stopped in their tracks, paused, and without a word turned around and got back into their truck and drove away.

This sort of thing happens MILLIONS of times annually in America. It's got a name in the criminology literature: a DUG (Defensive Use of a Gun). Armed citizens rarely fire upon would-be perpetrators of crimes, because they can avert the criminal activity simply by showing themselves to be armed.

Human predators are not much different than the animal varieties.

They target the lambs, and avoid the lions.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,476 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,077
Posts18,482,727
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.