Page 12 of 28 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 27 28
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by JGRaider
It is always interesting to me how people react to being proven wrong on a subject when everyone knows you were wrong. Nothing wrong with being wrong, but there is something to be said, after being proven innaccurate, the proper response would be to admit it, own it, and get on with it and all the onlookers would get on with it as well. The other way to respond is obviously the way BH responded...cloud the issue with more bullcrap and admit nothing. Says all you really need to know if you think about it.
What was I supposed to admit ? That you technology buffs would rather get further and further from being hunters and work dilligently burning up barrels and feverishly twisting turrets rather than having to stalk your game or heaven forbid, run across a buck/bull you just couldn't kill that day ? It almost seems like some of you don't really like to hunt all that much but sure do want to kill stuff and to hell with whether it's sporting or not.

Why does it have to be one or the other?

I like shooting steel and rocks and such..... my scope needs to work.

I’ve occasionally shot a critter over 1/4 mile away..... my scope needed to work.

I like hunting with a muzzleloader.... and killed a bull last fall with one.... my open-sights had to work.

I’ll even shoot a bow on occasion.... and the sights need to stay where I put them, or I miss.

Whether your scope works or not is the topic of the thread..... not some arbitrary range/hunting vendetta you saw the opportunity to pounce on. Hop off your Uber steep soap-Box, and apologize to some of the quality guys on this thread that you’ve pigeon-holed as long range snobs, and recognize that they’re hunters.... just like you.
Are you shytting me ? These mother fuggers are more than happy to jump on anybody, any time for anything. They freely throw derogatory comments and will bring into question your intelligence, education, upbringing, breeding and sanity at any and every opportunity. They'll do it even though many of their hypocritical asses can't spell intelligence or upbringing or even tell a crappie from a perch yet they're convinced they are the ultimate outdoorsmen and fine figures of men. They are quick to deride anyone who disagrees with their experience or narrow minded opinions and you want me to apologize to these fine examles of humanity ? Get a fuggin life.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
You don't have the option of glassing game from afar and using the modern technology of a laser range finder and pricisely dialable scope to shoot a deer 500 - 1000 yards away across a canyon. You've got to get close because there ain't no way you're going to see or shoot it from afar. On the flip side of that, I've hunted the open farmlands of central NY many times with a slug gun. Sure I saw deer across big crop fields that were far out of slug range.

Different terrain types call for different strategies and different skill sets. It's a good idea to be well-versed in more than one of them.
I suppose if the be all and end all is just killing something for you. Do you put any limits at all as to what technology is used or how far away you can kill something and still consider it fair chase ? Suppose for instance some sort of laser gun is in our future. No bullet drop, no wind drift to contend with. A range finder would be pretty superfluous then because no dialing would be required without drop or wind drift so you can just leave it at home.. Would it still be "fair chase" to situate yourself on a mountain overlooking a vast plain with powerful telescope, spot a deer 10 miles out and smoke it with your ACME super deer blaster laser gun ? Did that deer have a snowballs chance in hell of detecting you ? What if we just develop a personal human cloaking device so that game hasn't a chance of seeing, hearing or smelling you so you can just walk right up to any old buck and bash it's head in with a hammer ? Still fair chase ? How far should it go and at what point do you cease to be a "hunter" and become merely a killer ?

That really depends on why you’re hunting in the first place. Are you hunting for fun, for the trophy on the wall, or because you really need the meat? Some cats hunt mice because they’re hungry, and they go for the throat so to speak. Others hunt mice because they’re bored, and they play with the mouse, even letting it try to run away several times, before killing it. I suppose the cat is more concerned with fair chase when it’s not worried about going hungry.

The first time I watched footage of alaskan natives shooting swimming caribou in the back of the head from a boat 10 feet away, it offended my sense of fair chase and sportsmanship. But I reminded myself that these were subsistence hunters, and their objective was to return home with a load of meat using any means necessary. The methods we’re willing to use or accept in our hunting depend on our motive for hunting in the first place.

How badly do we need/want the animal? Are we putting food on the table for the family, or are we leisurely looking for another rack for the wall? Are we playing with our food, like the cat, or are we simply trying to kill a critter so we can eat it. Are we “sport hunting”, or simply hunting? Is the thrill (and risk) of stalking as close as possible more important than making the kill? Again, it depends on why we’re hunting. I suppose hunters 150 years ago balked at modern technology, just as you are. When smokeless powder became popular, blackpowder hunters probably questioned whether it’s still hunting if you can kill the animal from 200 yards away with smokeless cartridges, “where the animal can’t even detect your presence.” It’s all relative.

If we’re hunting simply for the spoils of the kill (meat, hide, trophy, etc), then a laser beam a mile away works, as long as we can retrieve the animal before the meat spoils or other scavengers/hunters get to it. If we’re hunting for the sport, the experience, the challenge, or the thrill of beating the animal’s senses as a hunter, then placing limitations on yourself and your equipment makes sense. We each have different reasons for hunting, and I’ve found myself on both sides of the line at different times.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
It is always interesting to me how people react to being proven wrong on a subject when everyone knows you were wrong. Nothing wrong with being wrong, but there is something to be said, after being proven innaccurate, the proper response would be to admit it, own it, and get on with it and all the onlookers would get on with it as well. The other way to respond is obviously the way BH responded...cloud the issue with more bullcrap and admit nothing. Says all you really need to know if you think about it.
What was I supposed to admit ? That you technology buffs would rather get further and further from being hunters and work dilligently burning up barrels and feverishly twisting turrets rather than having to stalk your game or heaven forbid, run across a buck/bull you just couldn't kill that day ? It almost seems like some of you don't really like to hunt all that much but sure do want to kill stuff and to hell with whether it's sporting or not.

I’ve occasionally shot a critter over 1/4 mile away..... my scope needed to work.

I like hunting with a muzzleloader.... and killed a bull last fall with one.... my open-sights had to work.

I’ll even shoot a bow on occasion.... and the sights need to stay where I put them, or I miss.

Whether your scope works or not is the topic of the thread..... not some arbitrary range/hunting vendetta you saw the opportunity to pounce on. Hop off your Uber steep soap-Box, and apologize to some of the quality guys on this thread that you’ve pigeon-holed as long range snobs, and recognize that they’re hunters.... just like you.
Are you shytting me ? These mother fuggers are more than happy to jump on anybody, any time for anything. They freely throw derogatory comments and will bring into question your intelligence, education, upbringing, breeding and sanity at any and every opportunity. They'll do it even though many of their hypocritical asses can't spell intelligence or upbringing or even tell a crappie from a perch yet they're convinced they are the ultimate outdoorsmen and fine figures of men. They are quick to deride anyone who disagrees with their experience or narrow minded opinions and you want me to apologize to these fine examles of humanity ? Get a fuggin life.

Oh the irony...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great posts, Dog.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You don't have the option of glassing game from afar and using the modern technology of a laser range finder and pricisely dialable scope to shoot a deer 500 - 1000 yards away across a canyon. You've got to get close because there ain't no way you're going to see or shoot it from afar. On the flip side of that, I've hunted the open farmlands of central NY many times with a slug gun. Sure I saw deer across big crop fields that were far out of slug range.

Different terrain types call for different strategies and different skill sets. It's a good idea to be well-versed in more than one of them.
I suppose if the be all and end all is just killing something for you. Do you put any limits at all as to what technology is used or how far away you can kill something and still consider it fair chase ? Suppose for instance some sort of laser gun is in our future. No bullet drop, no wind drift to contend with. A range finder would be pretty superfluous then because no dialing would be required without drop or wind drift so you can just leave it at home.. Would it still be "fair chase" to situate yourself on a mountain overlooking a vast plain with powerful telescope, spot a deer 10 miles out and smoke it with your ACME super deer blaster laser gun ? Did that deer have a snowballs chance in hell of detecting you ? What if we just develop a personal human cloaking device so that game hasn't a chance of seeing, hearing or smelling you so you can just walk right up to any old buck and bash it's head in with a hammer ? Still fair chase ? How far should it go and at what point do you cease to be a "hunter" and become merely a killer ?

That really depends on why you’re hunting in the first place. Are you hunting for fun, for the trophy on the wall, or because you really need the meat? Some cats hunt mice because they’re hungry, and they go for the throat so to speak. Others hunt mice because they’re bored, and they play with the mouse, even letting it try to run away several times, before killing it. I suppose the cat is more concerned with fair chase when it’s not worried about going hungry.

The first time I watched footage of alaskan natives shooting swimming caribou in the back of the head from a boat 10 feet away, it offended my sense of fair chase and sportsmanship. But I reminded myself that these were subsistence hunters, and their objective was to return home with a load of meat using any means necessary. The methods we’re willing to use or accept in our hunting depend on our motive for hunting in the first place.

How badly do we need/want the animal? Are we putting food on the table for the family, or are we leisurely looking for another rack for the wall? Are we playing with our food, like the cat, or are we simply trying to kill a critter so we can eat it. Are we “sport hunting”, or simply hunting? Is the thrill (and risk) of stalking as close as possible more important than making the kill? Again, it depends on why we’re hunting. I suppose hunters 150 years ago balked at modern technology, just as you are. When smokeless powder became popular, blackpowder hunters probably questioned whether it’s still hunting if you can kill the animal from 200 yards away with smokeless cartridges, “where the animal can’t even detect your presence.” It’s all relative.

If we’re hunting simply for the spoils of the kill (meat, hide, trophy, etc), then a laser beam a mile away works, as long as we can retrieve the animal before the meat spoils or other scavengers/hunters get to it. If we’re hunting for the sport, the experience, the challenge, or the thrill of beating the animal’s senses as a hunter, then placing limitations on yourself and your equipment makes sense. We each have different reasons for hunting, and I’ve found myself on both sides of the line at different times.
Very well stated and written. Thanks for taking the time. My above post was not in any way, shape or form directed towards you.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’ve never had a Leupold lose zero.
I bought a Nightforce just to see what the fuss was about.too phugging heavy!

I like several brands of scopes.do I dial them?Nope

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by GregW

Oh the irony...
You're right in there. I've seen you do it many times. Pot meet kettle so to speak. I tend to treat people the way they treat me and have a long memory.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Leupolds work fine. So do my Weavers, Nikons, Bushnells, Redfields and Bausch and Lombs. I have had several Tasco's a couple Bushnells a Simmons and a Sightron fail in one way or another but none on a hunt yet.

And with certain scopes that are built to actually hold zero and function properly (NF, SWFA, LRHS, DMR, etc), we can minimize the chances of having a scope failure when it counts, whether on or right before a hunt, during a match, etc.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My Leupolds work fine. So do my Weavers, Nikons, Bushnells, Redfields and Bausch and Lombs. I have had several Tasco's a couple Bushnells a Simmons and a Sightron fail in one way or another but none on a hunt yet.

And with certain scopes that are built to actually hold zero and function properly (NF, SWFA, LRHS, DMR, etc), we can minimize the chances of having a scope failure when it counts, whether on or right before a hunt, during a match, etc.
Since I haven't had one fail me on a hunt yet I'm not terribly worried about it. Even if I did miss a deer because my scope failed it wouldn't be the end of the world. I'd go home, grab another rifle and get back out there. There'll be another deer to shoot at before long.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

You took the first shots in this thread.... with your comments about “fair chase” and your toungue-in-cheek statements about long range stuff. You stated how rough the country you hunt is, and I’m sure you probably think it is.... but I don’t give a schitt where you are back East, the country you hunt is the PNW’s bitch.

You brought this on yourself.... now you’re the victim?

Never go full Liberal.....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Ooookay...

You live with a chip on your shoulder sniping your passive agressive BS all over the place everytime you run your mouth.

Not even worth the time. Just stop being a complete ass every now and then...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Since I haven't had one fail me on a hunt yet I'm not terribly worried about it. Even if I did miss a deer because my scope failed it wouldn't be the end of the world. I'd go home, grab another rifle and get back out there. There'll be another deer to shoot at before long.

What if you didn’t miss..... but rather made a bad hit due to a scope issue?

Oh yeah... you’re wrapped in the warm blanket of “fair chase”... so that makes it all better.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

You took the first shots in this thread.... with your comments about “fair chase” and your toungue-in-cheek statements about long range stuff. You stated how rough the country you hunt is, and I’m sure you probably think it is.... but I don’t give a schitt where you are back East, the country you hunt is the PNW’s bitch.

You brought this on yourself.... now you’re the victim?

Never go full Liberal.....
The comments I made were directed at noone in particular and were meant to spark discussion. How that was handled/responded to from there varied from person to person as have my responses varied in kind.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Fair enough. We all make decisions based on our past experience and what’s important to us. But making a gut shot because the scope lost zero, sucks.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

What if you didn’t miss..... but rather made a bad hit due to a scope issue?

Oh yeah... you’re wrapped in the warm blanket of “fair chase”... so that makes it all better.
Anybody can make a bad shot for a number of reasons. Scope failure being among the least of them I'm sure. I know ANY scope can fail at any time without warning. If you are that worried about it hunt with iron sights as I have done on far more hunts than I have with scopes. Yes irons can be whacked out of alignment too but at least if you know where they're set and are good at detecting straightness you can see they're out of whack before you shoot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Blackheart your reference to missing a deer from a scope failure being no big deal because you will grab another rifle and another deer will be along soon enough....
Well the west is different, some units take years to draw. Some units have low game densities, some have tremendous trophy potential etc.... therefore hunters tend to use the best gear they can afford to avoid failure. The opportunities may not come along again.
Also in many cases long distances are traveled and vacation is used up etc....
After waiting for years to draw a tag and the potential for a once in a lifetime trophy tends to make a fellow a little more focused on his gear and skill.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by irfubar

Blackheart your reference to missing a deer from a scope failure being no big deal because you will grab another rifle and another deer will be along soon enough....
Well the west is different, some units take years to draw. Some units have low game densities, some have tremendous trophy potential etc.... therefore hunters tend to use the best gear they can afford to avoid failure. The opportunities may not come along again.
Also in many cases long distances are traveled and vacation is used up etc....
After waiting for years to draw a tag and the potential for a once in a lifetime trophy tends to make a fellow a little more focused on his gear and skill.
I suppose so. Thanks for your input and ideas expressed in a mature and intelligent manner. I tend to use what has consistently worked for me and like I said, I haven't had a problem with my Leupolds yet.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I am confused, which is it?

But, then again, I am just a specktater...... laugh

Deer populations are extremely sparse in the wilderness areas of both the Adirondacks and the Catskills. I seriously doubt filling a tag gets much tougher anywhere when you're dealing with deer densities of less than 1 psm in an unbroken, heavily forested 10,000 - 192,000 acre tract of state land.

I'd go home, grab another rifle and get back out there. There'll be another deer to shoot at before long.

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Darryle
I am confused, which is it?

Deer populations are extremely sparse in the wilderness areas of both the Adirondacks and the Catskills. I seriously doubt filling a tag gets much tougher anywhere when you're dealing with deer densities of less than 1 psm in an unbroken, heavily forested 10,000 - 192,000 acre tract of state land.

I'd go home, grab another rifle and get back out there. There'll be another deer to shoot at before long.
They are sparse compared to most places. I usually have 14-16 days to hunt in a season and have multiple opportunities to fill a tag each year. I have managed to kill deer every year since the mid 70's. If I were to fail this year I wouldn't starve and I already have more racks than wall space to hang them on so no big deal.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

This line of argument is absurd. If you use a modern centerfire rifle with a scope, you're using technology to defeat the animal's senses, that's what humans do. If you think you're not, you're mistaken. The animals evolved and developed their defenses without a single predator that could kill them from 100 yards away.

Some acknowledge that and some refuse to based on some romantic notion that they're "really hunting" because they're not using the technology to it's full potential. The idea that a 500 yard shot is "unsporting" while a 200 yard shot is "fair chase" is ridiculous.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 12 of 28 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 27 28

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

126 members (7887mm08, 10gaugemag, 44mc, 35, 69sportfury, 6mmCreedmoor, 13 invisible), 1,529 guests, and 913 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,517
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.