-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Came across this on the net while trying to google up the name of that Northern Plains Indian war hero who among other exploits really did capture some horses of the enemy in Europe in WWII...

The Indian Relay, some great photography sequences cool We are all free to b&tch ad-nauseum about reservations of course, but this is pretty cool.

https://www.pbs.org/video/indian-relay-klf9uw/

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Came across this on the net while trying to google up the name of that Northern Plains Indian war hero who among other exploits really did capture some horses of the enemy in Europe in WWII...

Are you referring to Joe Medicine Crow? He counted coup, stole the enemy’s horses, took an enemy’s weapon away and a couple other feats that were required under the “old ways” to become a Chief. I love listening to old Joe talk about his combat experience in WWII as a Crow Warrior and a US Marine (I think he was a Marine).

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cool linked video. Still watching it.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

Are you referring to Joe Medicine Crow? He counted coup, stole the enemy’s horses, took an enemy’s weapon away and a couple other feats that were required under the “old ways” to become a Chief. I love listening to old Joe talk about his combat experience in WWII as a Crow Warrior and a US Marine (I think he was a Marine).

He was in the US Army

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Thanks 79S, my memory mislead me.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Seen them quite a few times. It’s a kick to watch the injun races at the local track. Way better than regular old horse racing.

Check out the Suicide Race in Omak. All kinds of horses end up at the glue factory from it.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

The Indian Relay, some great photography sequences cool We are all free to b&tch ad-nauseum about reservations of course, but this is pretty cool.

https://www.pbs.org/video/indian-relay-klf9uw/

Didn't click the li k, but that was just on PBS nature program about horses. Several otbef ssgments as well.
Not a bad show.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Good video, I liked it. Thanks for the turn on!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Same here really enjoyed it. Tks Birdman

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Birdwatcher: I have actually attended these Indian Relay races - I am not much of a horseman myself but do admire their horsemanship and fearlessness (I am a bit horse shy!)!
I have this hour long video recorded on my big screen TV's VCR - I show it to friends when they visit.
I have also attended several of the Indian "Suicide Races" up Omak, Washington way.
Now those boys are fearless!
An Indian fellow from my hometown high school won that dare-devil, dangerous race twice!
I will try to provide a link to the Omak Suicide Race.
Sadly I lost interest after seeing two horses needing to be euthanized after competing (two different years).
Link to follow.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei9C4-h8iow

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

army, he was in the european theater.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Birdwatcher,

PFC Joseph "Rudy" Red Fern, a member of the Tough 'Ombres (90th INF Division of WWII) & of the Cheyenne Nation of OK, was well-known throughout the Division for "slipping though the lines" during the Normandy campaign & capturing/returning with numerous German Officer prisoners.

After his ETS at the War's conclusion, he completed college & taught school in Broken Arrow,OK until his untimely death of heart disease in 1956.

I salute the honorable service & bravery of all of our unsung/largely unknown HEROES of WWII.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That one's pretty mild. On the 4th of July, the Omak, WA rodeo features a suicide race off the side of a mountain. It's been an event since the 30's. According to this article, since 1983, there have been 25 horses killed and maybe more that aren't in the official records. There's another one in Vale, OR that's taken it's share of horses, too.
SUICIDE RACE

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
This time of year at the end of the school we have some slack time, so I showed them this, it went over pretty well cool

I dunno about the Omak race, a bit hard on the horses.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Reminded me of this book. Herman Lehmann was kidnapped by the Apaches as a young boy and was raised as one of them for 9 years.

He mentions in the book that one skill the young bucks learned was to grab a horse by the mane as it ran by and swing themselves up on it's back.

Good book.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/147112.Nine_Years_Among_the_Indians_1870_1879

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Free beer or Who Hit John and you'd really see some action!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks for sharing

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1800topsoil, 007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,575 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,687
Posts18,494,053
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.