Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter

During World War I, hundreds of women went to work in factories painting watch dials using paint made from radium. The light that gleamed from under their skin earned them the name “The Radium Girls.”

Although they were told handling the element was safe, it was only after they experienced horrific symptoms they realized they had been misinformed. If their story isn’t ringing a bell, then you’ve been successfully kept in the dark.

https://www.science101.com/radium-g...m2PznVwOA2j729HqpxmfdzI14ahTn9jOgjG6u0yA

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
We do the same thing now. My friend lives in Ohio, and there's a Beryllium plant not far from his house. No one working there lives or lasts there long.

The stuff is mined in Utah, who don't want to handle or process it more than necessary, and shipped to Ohio, where much of it is used in the space program. That is one of the reasons why when the Space Shuttle disintegrated over the US they didn't want anyone keeping any souvenirs, because of the toxicity of the stuff.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That wasn't the 1st time. Matches contain phosphorus which is quite toxic. Matches used to be made in sweat shops with large numbers of children dipping the sticks in liquid phosphorus. Many of them died.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
You ain’t nothing but a number to be used up. How many people has asbestos killed???

Johns Mansville was the biggest asbestos company, but have paid little for the lives they ruined.

Last edited by hanco; 05/25/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Back in the day they thought asbestos was harmless, too. One of my great uncles, my maternal grandmothers younger brother, spent his whole working as a pipe fitter in a couple different power plants. Back when they all the lines were covered in asbestos. He made it to age 65 and retired but died from asbestosis less than two years later. Lots of plumbers, pipefitters, etc. who worked around that stuff never even made it to retirement.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
When we lived in SW Michigan, a large cache of old radium dial aircraft instruments was found in an old building. Momma, did that start a storm.

When I was young, one of the favored science fair projects was to make a spinthariscope. Basically, you found an old radium dial watch, scraped off the numbers, and mixed that with a phosphor. That mixture went in a closed box with a magnifier on top, so viewers could see little flashes of light as radioactive decay products struck the phosphor.

Last edited by denton; 05/25/19.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There a lot pieces of technology which will kill you before your time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Back when I was programming for a machine shop the boss was bidding a job with Beryllium Copper material. He asked me how it machined so I started researching it. When I told him how toxic it was he no bid the part. A few years later his arrogant and very greedy son took over. He bid several parts of the same material and warned me to keep my mouth shut. They never bothered to tell the guys on the floor about the toxic nature of the stuff so I told each of them about it. They all shrugged and said they needed a job.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
There a lot pieces of technology which will kill you before your time.
Like fast cars. Those kill a LOT more people than do watch dials.
So do illegal drugs. If they were really worried about people's health, most of the drug traffic could be stopped.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
story of this man is horrifying . but at least it was finally admitted and his family a closure.

Frank Rudolph Olson (July 17, 1910 – November 28, 1953) was an American bacteriologist, biological warfare scientist, and Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) employee who worked at Camp Detrick (now Fort Detrick) in Maryland. At a meeting in rural Maryland, he was covertly dosed with LSD by his CIA supervisor and, nine days later, plunged to his death from the window of a 10th-story New York City hotel room. The U.S. government first described his death as a suicide, and then as misadventure, while others allege murder.[1] The Rockefeller Commission report on the CIA in 1975 acknowledged their having conducted drug studies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Olson

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 22250rem
Back in the day they thought asbestos was harmless, too. One of my great uncles, my maternal grandmothers younger brother, spent his whole working as a pipe fitter in a couple different power plants. Back when they all the lines were covered in asbestos. He made it to age 65 and retired but died from asbestosis less than two years later. Lots of plumbers, pipefitters, etc. who worked around that stuff never even made it to retirement.

Lots of Carpenters too.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Steve McQueen worked in an asbestos mill before he got into acting. It killed him at a young age.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And then there was obama care....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And all the Vietnam Vets who died from Agent Orange exposure 😡

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Now days it's texting while driving. All gotta go sometime.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S

Just as our founders considered government a necessary evil, so goes radioactive materials.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
Now days it's texting while driving. All gotta go sometime.

That’s different. Darwinism at work. 😜

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by hanco
You ain’t nothing but a number to be used up. How many people has asbestos killed???

Johns Mansville was the biggest asbestos company, but have paid little for the lives they ruined.

Johns Manville had one CEO die of Mesotheloma and the founder died of what was thought to be Asbestosis.

So one would think they just didn't know until it was too late. They went belly up, established a trust to settle claims, so far $5 billion.

In a lot of ways, we're all guinea pigs, as the long term effect of most things are discovered only over time.

Lots of examples, tobacco for instance. It took forever for causation to be proven, long after association was known to exist.

Agent Orange mentioned earlier, for sure. Association with bladder cancer is known. Not sure the govt would admit if direct causation was ever proven.

Round Up is another one. Association with non-Hodgkins lymphoma. Not sure where that one is headed...

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 05/25/19.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The Obama administration--

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
The elementary school I attended was built for the kids of the people who moved into the area to work at the gaseous diffusion plant. As the crow flies, it was about 2 miles away.

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

711 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 163bc, 10ring1, 007FJ, 83 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,732
Posts18,494,843
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.