-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks to our neighbor to the east we also have pigs here now... We kill them every chance we get... To this day I’ve never had to bait not one of em to kill em... At your age though it’s understandable...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Kinda depends on the year I guess, couldn’t make anything happen over 100 last year, this year I’ve got a cow elk over 300 so far so we’ll see how it shakes out I guess...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Could possibly be as far as a guy cares to shoot........

[Linked Image]

or maybe get lucky at 40 paces........ laugh I take 'em however I get 'em.

[Linked Image]

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by geedubya
I label myself as a short range meat hunter. Due to the nature of the terrain and my desire to recover the critter for making meat, where I hunt, most shots are under 200 yds. I figure 98% of the stuff I kill, the range is 120 yds. and under, with a dozen or so kills at 300 yds., a couple at 400 yds. and my longest @ 590 yds.

With all the rage of long distance shooting, what has been your experience shooting game for meat, as opposed to varmint hunting or target shooting?

GWB

My experiences are very similar. I hunt mostly timber company land and sight distances are often limited. Most shots on big game are under 100 yards.
Many, about 20%, cluster from about 225 to 300 yards. I did shoot one deer at about 460 yards but that was in very open country which I rarely hunt.
I prefer to get as close as reasonably possible, that is much of the fun in hunting. I got a one time sheep tag here and stalked them from 185 to 107 and finally to 80 yards. I will remember that a lot longer than a 300 yard shot from a rest with a calm heartbeat.
Predator hunting is very much a long range thing though.

G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
[quote=elkhuntinguide]Thanks to our neighbor to the east we also have pigs here now... We kill them every chance we get... To this day I’ve never had to bait not one of em to kill em... At your age though it’s understandable...

good stuff,

it looks like you're doing your part.

I't would much cheaper not to bait.

[Linked Image]

The big boars are solitary and almost never come to a feeder.

[Linked Image]

Much better chance of snaring them on their way to and from a feeder.

For me baiting is a means to an end.

[Linked Image]

and trapping is a much more effecient way to eliminate the buggers rather than sniping them

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Between baiting, trapping, snaring and shooting, we've taken 51 the beginning of March. Hope to get a 100 by October, the beginning of dear season.

Ya, I'll be 68 this year. Prolly dispatched near 1,000 hoglets over the last 20 years. I've actually gotten to where I sleep in these days rather that get up early. I'll sleep in till about 7 AM, then get up put on coffee, take my meds and have breakfast, piddle a bit, make sure everything that needs charging gets charged, fill the ATV with gas. Usually about 8:30 a bud an I will go run the traps, pens and snares. Stop at a spot we call the "Y" to get signal and see if I've any emergencies at home, then go to "death valley" to check the pens and snares there. Its almost like running a trot line while fishing. Come back to camp, fiddle fart, fire up the pit an have egg taquitas, boudin, smoked link sausage, drink a beer or two then lay down for a two to three hour nap then go sit out somewhere, over bait sometimes, over water others, read a book or listen to an audio book, take pix with my camera if I'm a mind to, kill something if it walks out or call a bit see if a gray or a coyote will come in. If I don't kill I watch the coming of the gloaming and the dying of he day. If I kill I load up and head back to camp to skin and get the meat in the cooler. Usually by that time one of my buds will have the pit going. I bring fresh ear corn, cowboy beans, taters for baking. Kyle fishes off shore so sometimes we'll have Wahoo or tuna steaks, if not its T-bones, Ribeyes, or pork chops. I'm fortunate that I get to "hunt" 15 to 20 times a year. Getting old is what it is, but IMHO, life is still good.

If you'd like to come down and try your hand at spot and stalk and show me "how to", I'll be glad to meet ya at the gate. I've got a camper, a generator and a window unit.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
With all the rage of long distance shooting, what has been your experience shooting game for meat, as opposed to varmint hunting or target shooting?

When I hunted in West Texas (Val Verde and Sutton counties) 40 years ago, I got long shots all of the time. Since I moved to Washington State, 0% of my shots have been beyond 150 yards.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
There's very few places where I hunt that I could even get even 100 yard shot.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
gbub

We will see how that goes. Interested to find out.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Geedubya...

Sounds like a date... I’ll get squared away here and depending on your location swing by on a trip I need to make to OK...If not on the trip there my schedule will allow for a detour on the way home for sure...

Keep your Nitro pills close as this is not gonna be for the faint of heart...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
elks don't go some were and say you can out hunt them your dumb ass is showing

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Geedub....in answer to your primary question ...Ive hunted all my life in Montana and parts elsewhere, now in my later years I'm going Geedub style in Texas. But regardless of locale I'd be surprised if more than 5% of my kills have been past 150 yards...

Texas hunting is not to be despised by any stretch, and frankly I'd hunt with you anytime, anywhere my friend...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don’t speak of that which you have no füking clue about... your dumbass is showing...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
hit a nerve did it you are not a worth my waste time buy dumb f@@k

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not at all and don’t flatter yourself thinking you did... dumbfük

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Of the last 32 deer dad and I have killed only 3 were over 150 yards (151, 174, and 285 yards respectively) or .09378 %. The overall average of these 32 came out to 107 yards.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hunt a lot of the same country bsa hunts and the shots can be very long- or very short- even in that country. Our elk hunting varies from wide open to canyon areas with mixed timber and open meadows so shots can range from 30 yards to as far as you feel comfortable shooting.
If I hunted Texas, I would definitely employ the feeders if it was necessary. In that brush, even if you could shoot more than a few yards in places, recovery might be a very iffy thing if you don't bang/flop on a regular basis. And especially for wild hogs as they are vermin, I wouldn't limit myself to any particular type of hunting. Shooting vermin in a pen is as efficient as any and pork any way you kill it is good eating...

In answer to the question, I would have to guess about 50% of my shots have been over 150 yards.... I take them where I find them and I'm prepared to do what is necessary within my practiced skill set....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Killed one deer at 250 yards with a Mannlicher-Schoenauer .270 some years back. Every thing else has been at 75 yards or less. Usually a lot less. I hunt primarily in swamps or thickets.

Sam......

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by 44mc
hit a nerve did it you are not a worth my waste time buy dumb f@@k

What language is that?

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by elkhuntinguide
Geedubya...

Sounds like a date... I’ll get squared away here and depending on your location swing by on a trip I need to make to OK...If not on the trip there my schedule will allow for a detour on the way home for sure...

Keep your Nitro pills close as this is not gonna be for the faint of heart...

Don't do nitro, prefer El Jimador or Camarena Tequila, Knob Creek, Bulleit or even Jim Beam Bourbon.

Any time between the 5th and the 28th of the month is good, with at least two weeks notice. I guarantee you we will eat like kings and if you enjoy adult beverages, drink like the homeless.

ya!

GWB

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

GWB

Longest shot on a deer was ~125 yards near 40 years ago, the first one actually. With a few few exceptions everything else was within shotgun range and I've probably put more meat down with a shotgun than rifle if pounds count.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

265 members (10gaugemag, 41rem, 348srfun, 264mag, 12344mag, 160user, 32 invisible), 1,763 guests, and 1,096 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,058
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.