Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Some folks just aren’t up for the challenge of hunting public land.... plain and simple. Complaining about not being able to hunt someone’s Private Land.... is like a homeless guy complaining that he can’t pitch a tent (and take schitt) in your yard.... it wreaks of entitlement, and it’s just plain stupid.

I respect Private Land, and the Owner’s RIGHT to allow access as they see fit. Much like this thread, and most other threads on the 24HCF... a few idiots tend to ruin it for the good folks.

We’ve killed several nice critters the past couple of years, by getting permission not to “hunt” on the heavily posted Private Land.... but rather to walk through that Private Land, in order to access the Public Land behind it. I’ve never been told No when I’ve asked permission to do this.

Most people I hear bitching about Public Land hunting.... don’t own a pair of broke-in boots....
The point of the whole issue went right over your pointy little head as I suppose most things do. It must suck to be so stupid. Can you chew gum and walk at the same time ?

Laffin....

You’re the one bitching.... I’m the one killin’ all kinds of critters...

Isn’t killin stuff and enjoying our wild lands the point?

When you get to thinking everyone else is the idiot.... you need to realize the only common idiot denominator is you.

There’s gotta be a private forum somewhere you can demand access too?
No dummy. The point is we're losing hunters like crazy and the trophy hunting craze is what's causing it. Most of you idiots just can't admit that. Hunting license sales here in NY have dropped from 1.4 million a year in the early '70's to 700,000 today. The biggest reason for that is the widespread posting of private land by wannabe trophy hunters. NYDEC has done surveys of former hunting license holders to see why they stopped buying licenses and the number one answer by far has been "loss of access to hunting land".. You can argue with that all you want but it will never change the fact that you'll be wrong. "Laffin" about it won't change it either.

And you constantly bitching about it is doing what exactly? Reversing the situation? 😎
I'm constantly seeing hunters here lament about falling hunter numbers. Obviously they don't want to take blame where blame is due. There are several landowners right here who admit they post their land and don't allow access to anyone but family or close friends. There are tons of guys like that all over and they are locking many others out of the sport. Hence why I said in an earlier post "if you want to see the reason for falling hunter numbers, look in the mirror".

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Some folks just aren’t up for the challenge of hunting public land.... plain and simple. Complaining about not being able to hunt someone’s Private Land.... is like a homeless guy complaining that he can’t pitch a tent (and take schitt) in your yard.... it wreaks of entitlement, and it’s just plain stupid.

I respect Private Land, and the Owner’s RIGHT to allow access as they see fit. Much like this thread, and most other threads on the 24HCF... a few idiots tend to ruin it for the good folks.

We’ve killed several nice critters the past couple of years, by getting permission not to “hunt” on the heavily posted Private Land.... but rather to walk through that Private Land, in order to access the Public Land behind it. I’ve never been told No when I’ve asked permission to do this.

Most people I hear bitching about Public Land hunting.... don’t own a pair of broke-in boots....
The point of the whole issue went right over your pointy little head as I suppose most things do. It must suck to be so stupid. Can you chew gum and walk at the same time ?

Laffin....

When you get to thinking everyone else is the idiot.... you need to realize the only common idiot denominator is you.

No dummy. The point is we're losing hunters like crazy and the trophy hunting craze is what's causing it. Most of you idiots just can't admit that. Hunting license sales here in NY have dropped from 1.4 million a year in the early '70's to 700,000 today. The biggest reason for that is the widespread posting of private land by wannabe trophy hunters. NYDEC has done surveys of former hunting license holders to see why they stopped buying licenses and the number one answer by far has been "loss of access to hunting land".. You can argue with that all you want but it will never change the fact that you'll be wrong. "Laffin" about it won't change it either.

I’ve personally taken at least a half dozen kids on their first hunt over the past couple of years.... along with two couples, and a few friends of my wife. Hunter numbers are increasing in my circle.

Maybe... just maybe.... hunter numbers are decreasing because ass-hats like yourself are busy bitching and moaning about not having access to SOMEONE ELSE’S LAND.... rather than taking a kid.... or a single-mom.... or a guy from work... on a public land hunt.

Showing someone how, and where, to hunt.... on publicly accessible (fee free) land.... is incredibly empowering... and contributes to rapid hunter growth.

Complaining to everyone within earshot about how “it ain’t like it used to be.... when I could hunt everyone else’s land”.... is certainly intimidating, and leads to a decrease in potential hunters.

Just some food for thought...

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Laffin....

I’ve personally taken at least a half dozen kids on their first hunt over the past couple of years.... along with two couples, and a few friends of my wife. Hunter numbers are increasing in my circle.

Maybe... just maybe.... hunter numbers are decreasing because ass-hats kinecyourself are busy bitching nd moaning about not having access to SOMEONE ELSE’S LAND.... rather than taking a kid.... or a single-mom.... or a guy from work... on a public land hunt.

Just some food for thought...
They're not bitching about anything dumbass. They're just quitting by the thousands and not buying licenses anymore. I made that clear in a previous post for those intelligent enough to read and understand.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
And I stated what I’M DOING ABOUT IT....

What are YOU doing about it.... besides Bitching like an entitled little snowflake?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

What are YOU doing about it.... besides Bitching like an entitled little snowflake?
How do you figure I'm like and entitled snowflake ? I'm not much affected by loss of open land to hunt myself. I have hundreds of thousands of acres of public land to hunt within a short drive in any direction from my house. The majority of my hunting is done there. If I want to hunt private, I've got access to several tracts in each of six counties. I'm far from hurting for places to hunt personally. Still, I hate to see so much land posted up that was formerly open to hunting and I hate to see hunter numbers plummeting because it gives us very little voice against the anti hunting/anti gun urban/liberal majority in this state.

Last edited by Blackheart; 06/15/19.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You ever pause and give thought that your complaints are felt by the same people you’re pissed off at?

Somebody had to get fed up enough with lack of access, lack of animals, too much exposure to dumb fugks in the woods with guns to the point they said screw it...

I’m gonna through down a 7 figure chunk of cash and buy myself, family, and friends, peace of mind in land that can’t be taken, aside from a financial hardship if financing it.

Would you drop a million dollars or more to hunt? That would be a whole new bitch fest thread for you...BH having to put his little mitts into his pocket to pull out some cash...Crazy talk, I know....GFY 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

How do you figure I'm like and entitled snowflake ? I'm not much affected by loss of open land to hunt myself. I have hundreds of thousands of acres of public land to hunt within a short drive in any direction from my house. The majority of my hunting is done there. If I want to hunt private, I've got access to several tracts in each of six counties. I'm far from hurting for places to hunt personally. Still, I hate to see so much land posted up that was formerly open to hunting and I hate to see hunter numbers plummeting because it gives us very little voice against the anti hunting/anti gun urban/liberal majority in this state.

It’s pretty entitled to complain about not having access to something that belongs to someone else.... period.

But... I appreciate your sincere reply.

I guess what I’m saying is..... you’re complaining about hunter numbers dropping... and your concern is valid. But again, I ask, what are YOU doing about it?

Are you taking kids hunting.... co-workers..... single-moms?

I agree that the apparent lack of access is a hurdle for many new hunters. But, I think it also has to do with the fact that people just don’t want to work hard to accomplish anything anymore. Whether that’s killing a bull elk, building a business, raising quality children, etc. I see the “Private Land” argument akin to that.... why should hunting be easy?

I get it.... you miss the good’ole days.... hell, I do too. But I’ve watched my children kindly walk up to a landowner’s home and ask permission to hunt antelope on their land.... in exchange for a few light chores and some sausage from the animal they kill. They’ve never.... NEVER.... been told no.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

It’s pretty entitled to complain about not having access to something that belongs to someone else.... period.

But... I appreciate your sincere reply.

I guess what I’m saying is..... you’re complaining about hunter numbers dropping... and your concern is valid. But again, I ask, what are YOU doing about it?

Are you taking kids hunting.... co-workers..... single-moms?

I agree that the apparent lack of access is a hurdle for many new hunters. But, I think it also has to do with the fact that people just don’t want to work hard to accomplish anything anymore. Whether that’s killing a bull elk, building a business, raising quality children, etc. I see the “Private Land” argument akin to that.... why should hunting be easy?

I get it.... you miss the good’ole days.... hell, I do too. But I’ve watched my children kindly walk up to a landowner’s home and ask permission to hunt antelope on their land.... in exchange for a few light chores and some sausage from the animal they kill. They’ve never.... NEVER.... been told no.
Anybody asking for permission to deer hunt private land land here will be told no 95% of the time. Mostly the reason if any given will be "we hunt it" or we "lease it out". You're right that if people want to hunt badly enough they'll either hunt public land or find a way to pay to hunt private but waaay too many simply won't or can't for one reason or another. Public land isn't evenly distributed across the state here so can be a long drive for some folks depending on where they live. Obviously that is a big hurdle to a kid with no parent willing to take them. Ther are also plenty of adults who just don't want to deal with hunting public land for one reason or another. Some of those reasons were given by other posters in this thread. Some are scared of the unknown whereabouts of other hunters. Some don't care to deal with the vast forests with low numbers of deer spread out over a wide area. Others simply can't deal with getting into and packing out their game long distances from our larger wilderness areas. And some don't want to deal with the crowds on our more easily accessable smaller tracts of state forest. Those are the ones who will just give up on hunting altogether without access to private land close to home.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
AGAIN.....

What are YOU doing about it?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Laffin....

My land is posted, and I could care less if the deer has a rack or not. I'm hunting meat for the freezer. You are assigning a reason that may or may not apply, to support your claims. I, for one, have my land posted, because I'm sick of the disrespect trespassers show my land and property Rights.
It's mineG/D-it, not yours, get the fuq out!

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
AGAIN.....

What are YOU doing about it?
There isn't much I can do about it. The die is cast. Most of the land is owned or leased by hunters who've bought into the "raise a trophy of my very own" dogma.. You know back when I started I didn't know or even hear another hunter talk about B&C score or "let em go so they can grow". QDM wasn't even thought about. Nobody thought shooting a monster buck would make them a rock star or make their dick bigger. Folks just hunted for fun/recreation/meat and if they killed a big one fine but any legal buck was considered a good buck. In other words, they didn't place big value on inches of antler. That being the case, Bob didn't care if Chuck hunted on his land because Bob was hunting over on Dan's land. It was so much better and more fun for everybody that way. Nobody was stuck hunting the same old ground all the time. As for whether I have taken anyone hunting lately. I have been taking my young nephews the last couple years because their father works 70 hours a week and doesn't have the time. They are raring to go and I can't bear to see them sit home while the seasons pass them by. A kid with the fire in them aught to be able to hunt as much as they want.

Last edited by Blackheart; 06/15/19.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
We are not the big market we like to believe we are, as hunters and outdoorsman. There is a group out there that wants Ruger Americans, Savage Axis rifles etc. There is also the uber tactical group and it is obvious from the market that they are driving what is going on these days. Of all of us hunters out here, there just are not enough gun loonies to keep the market running with the stuff we like. The money is elsewhere.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They would never ask for or expect any kind of payment for any of it, including letting me hunt on their land.

Being conservative I probably have access on over 150k acres of posted private land and not once has the owner asked for a dime of my money or a second of my time for that access. What I do in labor or gifts is 100% to show my appreciation to them and typically they try to decline same though I insist.

You talk about the decrease in hunters in NY as well as brag about all the public land you have hunted and your success on same. So what have you done to bring new hunters into the fold in NY? Do you make it a habit to take new hunters out and show them public spots and help them learn to hunt?

My guess is you haven’t done so as that would decrease your odds of harvesting a good animal on these same lands. Not sharing your public spots with new guys due to an increased risk to your success rate but bitching about private owners locking up land is hypocritical of you!

You keep saying that land is getting locked up due to landowners wanting to manage for trophy quality. Sure in some places that absolutely happens but I doubt it’s that common nationwide. I can’t speak to NY as I have never hunted there but of the many farms in WA, OR, ID, WY and MT that I have gained access to over the years not 1 has been posted for trophy hunting opportunities. Rather ALL of them have been posted due to problems with so-called hunters when they allowed open access.

Driving in planted fields, cutting fences, shooting signs, shooting farming equipment, shooting livestock etc, the list goes on. Hunters as a whole have done a lousy job of maintaining their image and I don’t blame anyone who posts their land to avoid the shït show.

Here in WA land doesn’t have to be fenced or posted as private. it’s your responsibility as a hunter to know where you are and if it’s okay to be there and I’m 100% okay with that. It goes back to responsibility and accountability. If it isn’t public then you don’t belong there without permission.

Here is an idea, why don’t you tale some time to talk to some of the farmers that have denied you access in the past or that have posted land as to why they posted their land. Don’t go into it with any preconceived ideas, just listen to their reasons and then come back and tell us they are selfish. My guess is they have many valid reasons that have nothing to do with trophy hunting that 99% of hunters can sympathize with.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Mule Deer is right.

I sweat when I think how hunting is shifting downhill, with the ARFs (animal rights freaks) doing their thing to destroy conservation. But I'm glad to see the blacktical stuff. If the Second and the right to own guns was just based on "hunting," the fight would already be over and done with. That said, I wish people hunted more, or understood it better, because killing your supper is a fundamental part of our evolution as a species, important to who we are as human beings.

So, too, is fighting to defend your rights from those who would take them away.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
They would never ask for or expect any kind of payment for any of it, including letting me hunt on their land.

Being conservative I probably have access on over 150k acres of posted private land and not once has the owner asked for a dime of my money or a second of my time for that access. What I do in labor or gifts is 100% to show my appreciation to them and typically they try to decline same though I insist.

You talk about the decrease in hunters in NY as well as brag about all the public land you have hunted and your success on same. So what have you done to bring new hunters into the fold in NY? Do you make it a habit to take new hunters out and show them public spots and help them learn to hunt?

My guess is you haven’t done so as that would decrease your odds of harvesting a good animal on these same lands. Not sharing your public spots with new guys due to an increased risk to your success rate but bitching about private owners locking up land is hypocritical of you!

You keep saying that land is getting locked up due to landowners wanting to manage for trophy quality. Sure in some places that absolutely happens but I doubt it’s that common nationwide. I can’t speak to NY as I have never hunted there but of the many farms in WA, OR, ID, WY and MT that I have gained access to over the years not 1 has been posted for trophy hunting opportunities. Rather ALL of them have been posted due to problems with so-called hunters when they allowed open access.

Driving in planted fields, cutting fences, shooting signs, shooting farming equipment, shooting livestock etc, the list goes on. Hunters as a whole have done a lousy job of maintaining their image and I don’t blame anyone who posts their land to avoid the shït show.

Here in WA land doesn’t have to be fenced or posted as private. it’s your responsibility as a hunter to know where you are and if it’s okay to be there and I’m 100% okay with that. It goes back to responsibility and accountability. If it isn’t public then you don’t belong there without permission.

Here is an idea, why don’t you tale some time to talk to some of the farmers that have denied you access in the past or that have posted land as to why they posted their land. Don’t go into it with any preconceived ideas, just listen to their reasons and then come back and tell us they are selfish. My guess is they have many valid reasons that have nothing to do with trophy hunting that 99% of hunters can sympathize with.
I already have talked to shytloads of farmers and other landowners here as to why they post and won't allow access. I'm not going through it again for another retard who can't read and comprehend my previous posts. Man I get tired of the dumb sons of bitches here that can't take the time to thorough;y read before jumping on somebody for something. Never seen so much stupid gathered together in one place in my life.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
BH, if you leave, most of the stupid will too, 'ya know?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JGRaider
BH, if you leave, most of the stupid will too, 'ya know?
You'd still be here so there'd still be plenty of stupid around.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Or we could get back to the original post.
I am not sure where the insults come from, this is simply a discussion.
Name calling is unnecessary.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I already have talked to shytloads of farmers and other landowners here as to why they post and won't allow access. I'm not going through it again for another retard who can't read and comprehend my previous posts. Man I get tired of the dumb sons of bitches here that can't take the time to thorough;y read before jumping on somebody for something. Never seen so much stupid gathered together in one place in my life.

Newsflash, Mallard Addict isn't the retard in this conversation. Nor any of the other 12 guys you've labeled as such.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by smokepole

Newsflash, Mallard Addict isn't the retard in this conversation. Nor any of the other 12 guys you've labeled as such.
If that were true I would'nt constantly be asked to repeat information already covered pages ago. Stick it in your ass smokes poles. You're a useless, mouthy idiot who knows nothing and has done nothing of any value to anyone in your pitiful little life and deep down you know it.

Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (007FJ, 1minute, 1936M71, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,859 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,186
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.