-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
There isn’t much out in South Texas brush that won’t bite you or stick you. I shoot them in the shoulders, kills them dead right there, to hell with heart and lung shots. I don’t care to walk out in that cshit if I don’t have to. It’s really fine at night!

Early in the season there are lots of wasp nests hanging face high in the mesquite also. It’s real good to disturb one of them.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
0%

Where I hunt, a 150 yards is long shot.

Most shots are 75-100 yards in boreal forest.

Closest one was 8 paces !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I think my average shot has been around 170 yards overall. Longest 430, closest about 20.

G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by hanco
There isn’t much out in South Texas brush that won’t bite you or stick you. I shoot them in the shoulders, kills them dead right there, to hell with heart and lung shots. I don’t care to walk out in that cshit if I don’t have to. It’s really fine at night!

Early in the season there are lots of wasp nests hanging face high in the mesquite also. It’s real good to disturb one of them.

In east Texas ya got those big banana spiders

South Texas also,

One thing i've never get over is when walking through the woods, through the brush, or along a game tail, early in the morning before it is just barely light enough to see a bit.......

[URL=http://s38.photobucket.com/user/glenn1221/media/South%20Texas%20lease/KC9A1611_zpst8fn4e7t.jpg.html][Linked Image]
I always wear a ball cap and typically carry my rifle or shotgun in front of me when doing this drill!

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 05/27/19.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by geedubya
My idea is that closer is better, especially if I have to find the point of impact to find blood and start tracking. What with the thorns, cactus, rattlers, and other nasty things, I try not to go into the scrum.

ya!

GWB

I think everyone’s idea is the closer the better......

If that buck stops at 225 yards, and turns like he’s headed into the brush..... do you shoot him?

I KNOW I would.

If stuff is getting closer..... I let it. If stuff is in range, and it’s time to shoot.... I shoot it.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I forgot about the damn spiders!!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I started hunting Texas back in the early seventies. As a teenager I had no lease so I hunted Davy Crockett and Sam Houston national forests. Learned all about up close, rattle snakes, spiders, thorns and impassable brush. I used a 270, a 30-30 and a 12 gauge Remington pump with buckshot. I only got one shot as far as 50 yards. all the rest were in the range of buckshot. I did find that at point blank range the 270 is a quick and destructive killer! After I got out of the Navy I went to work in the oilfield in Wyoming. The wind really was the limiting factor there. Took an antelope at 450 yards and an elk at just a bit farther, the latter showing me just how tough an elk is. Tough recovery. I only had to shoot farther than 200 yards on deer one time, right at three hundred yards. A 7 point "monster" Muley. Back to Texas after 19 years in Wyoming. Now I have leases and run feeders. I usually set one up around 250 yards in a sendero lane and another 75 yards from the stand for night hunting feral hogs. Why 250 yards? Because that gives some room between the stand and feeder for bucks to walk through as they usually don't visit feeders in the day time unless the rut is on and even then they often hide and watch for does hitting the feeders. Currently I would have to say over 50% of my shots on game (feral hogs don't count) are over 150 yards, 100% under 300 yards.

Last edited by rickt300; 05/27/19.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Interesting stuff!!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I label myself as a short range meat hunter. Due to the nature of the terrain and my desire to recover the critter for making meat, where I hunt, most shots are under 200 yds. I figure 98% of the stuff I kill, the range is 120 yds. and under, with a dozen or so kills at 300 yds., a couple at 400 yds. and my longest @ 590 yds.

With all the rage of long distance shooting, what has been your experience shooting game for meat, as opposed to varmint hunting or target shooting?

GWB

2 percent at best.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
gdub....

"May be guilty of taking this thread off the rails but what the hey! "

No sir you didn't IMO.

Originally Posted by Dogshooter
My idea is that closer is better, especially if I have to find the point of impact to find blood and start tracking. What with the thorns, cactus, rattlers, and other nasty things, I try not to go into the scrum.

Yes, closer is always better but as you said D s, sometimes they stop or head off in another direction.

I don't recall ever starting out with the objective to find - shoot - kill a game animal 300-400 yds. ATST I'm prepared if that's the option.
I've had PLENTY of occasions where --- it's NOW or never !!

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 05/27/19.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

ya!

GWB

If that buck stops at 225 yards, and turns like he’s headed into the brush..... do you shoot him?

I KNOW I would.

If stuff is getting closer..... I let it. If stuff is in range, and it’s time to shoot.... I shoot it.

+1

I hunt with others and we often have multiple tags apiece. While we do it for fun, it is also to put meat in the freezer. My grandkids are growing up on antelope, deer and elk. "Getting closer" is something we do, but only to a point. When the game is in the shooters comfort range and conditions portend success, we take the shot. With multiple shooters, multiple tags each and limited time, "getting closer" can be counter-productive. Full freezers are the goal.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
G
GRF Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Agreed on the getting closer bit, just sometimes one runs out of things to hid behind.

A couple of years ago I crawled through +/- 350 yards of canola stubble to get to about 250 yards to shoot and whitetail buck, I could not get any closer as I had made it tot he tiny bumpI was hiding behind. His girlfriend did't leave so she also got a free one way trip to my daughter's freezer.

The 2018 season my last deer; a mule deer doe, was spotted at about 1000 yards away, the classic SE Alberta dry creek bed (I'm sure shocking similar to a Montana dry creek bed smile ) gave me quick and almost silent access to about 165 yards.

Not to belabour the point but the Texas ground I have seen would not allowed those manoeuvers.

Great conversation gentlemen.

George

G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I like to tell stories.

I title this one......

He drove 190 miles to shoot a pig!.........

I've mentioned before, I have a "beer lease" and a "deer lease".

Well, the powers that be have decided to take 28,000 acres of the south Texas ranch on which I have a "deer lease" and construct a wind farm.

The night before rifle seaon opener, there was a meeting with the ranch manager. We are off as of 12/1/18, with the caveat that if they finish in time we get to hunt the rest of the 2019 season for free.

So I figured I might as well see if I could poke a hoglet or two before then.

Got there late Tuesday afternoon, and by time I got to the Sendero on which my blind is situated it was about 30 minutes before dark.

My stand is about 1/2 mile from where I turn into the sendero.

[Linked Image]

I had gone about 100 yds. in when I decided to take a look thru my binocs.

Sure enough there was a decent boar at the feeder. I grabbed my rifle, binocs, shooting sticks and a headlight(I hate trying to track or walk out in the dark) and began a 1/2 mile stalk. I stayed off the right of way and tromped through the muddy scrum. I figured being the time of year, I did not have to worry about rattlers.

I got to my stand which is about 100 yds. from the feeder. There were cows about and they winded/saw me and took off. The boar was not in sight when I peeked around the base of the stand. I waited a couple minutes but he went to the left side of the sendero and I could not get a shot. Probably a good thing as I had walked pretty fast through the scrum, sinking up to my ankles in mud and dodging thorn bushes. Consequently, my breathing and heartbeat made it quite difficult to maintain a good bead on the critter. I was hot and I was sweating like a politician telling the truth. I rested my rifle on one of the leg supports and attempted to adjust the shooting stix to fit my stix at the standing position. Naturally they did not extend properly and fell over and banged against the stand legs. At the noise the boar moseyed into the brush. Anywho, a few minutes later he wandered in and out and the light was fading. As luck would have it, by the time he gave me a good shot straight on, my breathing slowed and I nailed the bastid’.

Straight on shot.

Entry at his withers.

[Linked Image]

Exit at his pecker.

[Linked Image]

DRT.

Ya,

GWB

BTW, you've heard the expression, "knocked his dick in the dirt". The bullet exiting literally severed his pecker. I found it after I drug him up on the trailer. LOL

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Poor little guy, all he wanted to do was use it one day lol

Gerry.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Prolly 25-30 percent of my shots are. I hunt a lot of antelope and that skews the number

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The pecker?damn......crack shot.

“Im gunna shoot yer pecker off , pig! “

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
That was a extreme low blow!!!!

Hate to hear you are losing your lease, lost one of mine earlier in the year. It sucks.

Last edited by hanco; 05/27/19.
G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by hanco
That was a extreme low blow!!!!

Hate to hear you are losing your lease, lost one of mine earlier in the year. It sucks.

Ya,

we had corned and protiened all year. I had some pretty good prospects......

[Linked Image]

which you usually only see at night on game cam!

However,

That was my "deer lease".

Now if I was to lose my "beer lease", aka The Petting Zoo,

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'd be devastated.

Anywho, should be golden for the 2020-2021 season.

The project should be completed by 1/1/20.

ya!

GWB

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
MAYBE 10%, always figured closer was better. Never could figure out the guys that think they have to shoot everything at 600 yards...a LOT of them don't even know 600 yards from 300.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I jumped this fat gal from her bed today. She wasn’t sure what she heard and stopped broadside at 15 yards so I let the .270 eat..

[Linked Image]

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

226 members (444afic, 5sdad, 10gaugemag, 41rem, 348srfun, 264mag, 27 invisible), 1,650 guests, and 1,070 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,070
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.