Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Tactical has gone ridiculous and although the trend may say that is the way the shooting world is leaning, I remain steadfast in the good gun category. I didn't say I don't have a tactical rifle, I just think one is enough.

On the other hand, I can't stop buying the real guns...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I own exactly one AR. It was an itch I had to scratch, and secretly wanted to tweak the noses of people who didn't think I should own it. Discovered how much fun it is, shot it a bunch, got tired of it, and now it sits out of sight cleaned and oiled with a couple ammo cans full of the handload it likes, waiting for the call I hope it never gets.

I stepped out of character and carried it hunting a couple times. Being a 20" H-Bar with fixed stock and 1-4x scope it is no lightweight. Ergonomically it's different than my other hunting rifles in its weight class- not better, not worse, just different. I did get a few sideways looks from some young tacticool hunters who I guess couldn't figure out the old guy dressed like a 1950's Field and Stream ad, carrying a black quick-shooter. That itch has now been officially scratched too.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by comerade
Why so much tactical stuff?

All the video gamers are now buying real guns. Tactical is all they know.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Tactical is what sells and it seems like in the old days, many shooters got their start hunting but that's not necessarily true any more.

Had a conversation with an employee of a gun store recently, he was asking about a firearm to take along for small game on a big game backpack hunt. I asked him what kind of small game and he really had no idea. Where he'd be hunting, grouse was going to be about it for edible small game so I recommended a good .22 pistol with a red dot sight. No go, he wanted a rifle (was gonna carry two) and already had his sights set on one. He wanted a specific gun, with a lot of cool features rather than a small packable gun that was better suited to what he was going to be using it for. Seems pretty common these days.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Shrapnel, I got a suggestion for ya.

Buy another safe. laugh

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Supercub- so these gamer's cross over to the real thing? Those games are ultra violent,imo.
If this is true, this trend is scary.
I wouldn't feel comfortable being around them,either.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Where to begin?

There is a difference between "tacticool" on the one hand and black rifles with plastic stocks on the other hand. The latter are more accurate, in general, than rifles with walnut stocks and hold their zero when it rains.

That said, I think an AR15 is pretty worthless for most hunting. It's too heavy for what you get, only fits small people, and can't be carried at the balance point in one hand with that pointy magazine sticking out. Also I never had any need for 20 shots while hunting. Caliber choices are limited.

As for home defense, I'll take a 12 gauge pump gun over an AR15.

But before you call me Zumbo, I think the popularity of AR15s for target shooting sports is a very good thing. With hunting declining, it's good we attract more and more people to shooting sports, on the range or wherever. There are neat "practical" sports where an AR15 fits very well. They're fun. I have probably put 10,000 rounds through AR15s, mostly High Power service rifle matches.

It's no secret that the Democrat Party is in lock step trying to outlaw AR15s. After that they'll revert to their earlier crusades--Saturday Night Specials (any handgun they don't like), "dum-dum" bullets (any that expand), "armor piercing" bullets (any that don't expand), "sniper" rifles (any rifles with scopes), and so on. The more voters who own AR15s, the more allies we have to head 'em off at the pass.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
In case you have some limbs or trees blocking a shooting lane.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Just as long as they don't put beans in them.

Or ice.

IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
I never had a use for one until last December I wanted to shoot out to a 1000 yds and what a better way than with a 223/5.56.

Miniguns work better at that distance than the 5.56. Just sayin'.

Sure.....

Last edited by 79S; 05/28/19.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by shrapnel
[Linked Image]

It's a chain gun. It fires the 6mm SAW.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Personally I do not have any interest in anything not blue and walnut, but I think the tactical/plastic thing is great as it has introduced an awful lot of new shooters to the cause...and that is worth the price of admission.

Besides which, if you lot all get a raging horn every time you walk past a piece of tupperware there is a better than even chance you will avoid the stuff I am interested in, well maybe not Shrap.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
The word "Tactical" is over used, and 99% of the time misused.

It's a word plastered to everything military in style, and that is NOT what the word means. People in the industry need to learn the difference between an action and an object.

I remember in the 80s the idiotic fad-word was "Assault". Assault pants. Assault Boots. Assault glasses. Assault wrist watches. Assault Toilet paper.

I have nothing at all against military style gear, rifles, clothing and all that. In fact I think it's a very good thing to have, and follows into the real purpose of the 2nd Amendment. Every non-criminal American should be armed and trained.

But calling so much of this kind of gear "Tactical" is idiotic, and shows an extreme lack of understanding of the word or the concept.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Supercub- so these gamer's cross over to the real thing?

Just an observation. May or may not be accurate. Certainly the cross section of shooters and their shooting interests has changed in the last 20 yrs. They don't wan't to shoot their Grampy's old deer rifle anymore.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by szihn
...But calling so much of this kind of gear "Tactical" is idiotic, and shows an extreme lack of understanding of the word or the concept.

No, what it means is the marketing people have become involved. It's called 'sales'. When money is involved, they fully understand what they are doing.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I helped a 20-couple year old son of an old friend break into the shooting game last year. He loved shooting my AR (naturally) as well as his grandfather's 03A3 sporter that his dad dragged out of a closet for him. I asked him why he liked the 03A3 so much, and his reply was " I like the way it kicks the snot out of me". Jesus. I eventually steered him into a Savage M10 somethingorother .223 with scope- $400 out the door. He loves it even though it doesn't turn his skinny shoulder into a black and blue mess. I fixed him up with the basics- plenty of ammo, a cleaning rod and solutions, rest and sand bags, etc. and he was off and running. Last time at the range I taught him field positions- offhand, sitting, and prone, and told him that any goofball can shoot well off a bench but a real rifleman is defined by how well he shoots away from the bench.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Supercub- so these gamer's cross over to the real thing?

Just an observation. May or may not be accurate. Certainly the cross section of shooters and their shooting interests has changed in the last 20 yrs. They don't wan't to shoot their Grampy's old deer rifle anymore.

What you are seeing is progress. Right now, ARs are the rage. In the same way that M1 toy guns, Johnny Sevens, and Roy Rogers cap gun and holster sets were the rage when I was a child, so it is with ARs. They are on TV, in the movies and virtually every shoot 'em up video game that kids play. They saw it on TV or on their Nintendo, so they naturally will want it when they're older. This is no different than my desire to own a real Roy Rogers 6 shooter or wear a coon skin cap.

Marketing is more powerful than "the Force".

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Absolutely. After The Terminator movie came out in 1984 gun stores were swamped with 20-somethings wanting plasma rifles in the 40 watt range. IIRC one guy modified a bunch of lava lamps with pistol grips and shoulder stocks and made several hundred thousand dollars....

wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I helped a 20-couple year old son of an old friend break into the shooting game last year. He loved shooting my AR (naturally) as well as his grandfather's 03A3 sporter that his dad dragged out of a closet for him. I asked him why he liked the 03A3 so much, and his reply was " I like the way it kicks the snot out of me". Jesus. I eventually steered him into a Savage M10 somethingorother .223 with scope- $400 out the door. He loves it even though it doesn't turn his skinny shoulder into a black and blue mess. I fixed him up with the basics- plenty of ammo, a cleaning rod and solutions, rest and sand bags, etc. and he was off and running. Last time at the range I taught him field positions- offhand, sitting, and prone, and told him that any goofball can shoot well off a bench but a real rifleman is defined by how well he shoots away from the bench.

Excellent! Bring 'em into the fold. Teach them how it's done. Help them along. They're the next generation.

I can't count how many folks I've taught to shoot, literally hundreds. Feel pretty good about that.

"Tactical" - okay, had careers in the Marines and in Law Enforcement. More than my fair share of time on AR-15 & M-16 type rifles. I find them extremely useful, well worthwhile. Doggone things can be quite accurate too. But ya, my real love is for more traditional rifles in blued steel & walnut.

Guy

Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 56 invisible), 2,270 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,391
Posts18,488,706
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.