Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Nuthin compared to what was shipped over here to pick cotton.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The article linked is, not surprisingly, rather poorly written.

The hornet found ( V. ducalis) is indeed non native, however it is not the "bee eating" Asian giant hornet V. mandarina. In fact V. ducalis is known specifically for predating upon paper wasps and not bees. This is not entirely unwelcome as since the mid 80s this continent has experienced an overwhelming European Paper Wasp ( P. dominula) invasion, which has suppressed populations of native paper wasps.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I only like honey bees.. all others need to DIE.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by RedAstrachan
Nuthin compared to what was shipped over here to pick cotton.

yea … but they kill and eat each other.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have to comment regarding this:

Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
ELm Trees, Chestnut Trees , Ash Trees, Zebra Mollusks ,Snakehead fish...geeez why do whe keep importing stuff from these Asian chithole countries?

Elm,Chestnut and Ash trees are native to North America.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Azshooter
Have to comment regarding this:

Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
ELm Trees, Chestnut Trees , Ash Trees, Zebra Mollusks ,Snakehead fish...geeez why do whe keep importing stuff from these Asian chithole countries?

Elm,Chestnut and Ash trees are native to North America.

Dutch elm disease (DED) is caused by a member of the sac fungi (Ascomycota) affecting elm trees, and is spread by elm bark beetles. Although believed to be originally native to Asia, the disease was accidentally introduced into America and Europe, where it has devastated native populations of elms that did not have resistance to the disease. It has also reached New Zealand. The name "Dutch elm disease" refers to its identification in 1921 and later in the Netherlands by Dutch phytopathologists Bea Schwarz and Christine Buisman who both worked with Professor Johanna Westerdijk.[1][2] The disease affects species in the genera Ulmus and Zelkova, therefore it is not specific to the Dutch elm hybrid.[3][4][5]

link to article on the Emerald borer

The fungus was already wide spread in the north-eastern U.S. by 1904, but there were no reports of it south of Virginia (34). Metcalf and Collins suggested that Japanese chestnut trees (C. crenata Siebold and Zuccarini), which were first imported in 1876 (40), were the source of the pathogen (Fig. 4). A large number of grafted and seedling Japanese chestnuts were imported by 1900 (40), and it was clear that diseased nursery stock was the most important factor in the spread of chestnut blight to distant points. By 1900, many of the major mail-order nurseries offered Japanese (and European) chestnut trees for sale throughout the country (5).

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Tallow trees,fire ants,nutria,and feral hogs down here.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Beoceorl
Asian Hornets in North America will be bad news for beekeepers---really, really bad news.
That. A real nightmare..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Carp, kudzu, cattle, pheasants, chukar, huns.....

seems like a mixed bag to me.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from thenypost.files.wordpress.com]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I wonder if poison meat could be used as bait for them? It works great on yellow jackets but their diet ay be too specific for it.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is 5 minutes from me:

BLAINE, Wash. — In his decades of beekeeping, Ted McFall had never seen anything like it.

As he pulled his truck up to check on a group of hives near Custer, Wash., in November, he could spot from the window a mess of bee carcasses on the ground. As he looked closer, he saw a pile of dead members of the colony in front of a hive and more carnage inside — thousands and thousands of bees with their heads torn from their bodies and no sign of a culprit.

“I couldn’t wrap my head around what could have done that,” Mr. McFall said.

Only later did he come to suspect that the killer was what some researchers simply call the “murder hornet.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/02/...BIZ59VzpjDFzykcPXy3YLCDr9ZOjWpFD0pnusE-E

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Here’s some prospective from a former Boss of mine who is a very fine and knowledgable An Entomological perspective on “The Murder Wasp”

There has been a run on questions regarding the Asian giant hornet after a news article came out over the weekend.

That is a sensational story but couple of things to keep in mind.

First of all within the United States the Asian giant hornet is presently found (only very recently) in a tiny area of NE Washington and, perhaps, an adjacent area of BC. And there are efforts to try and eradicate it. Still too early too know if that is possible, but a variety of traps and controls have been developed for this in Asia and these can be adapted to try and use here.

Second, it is a woodland species adapted to moist, low elevation sites. Like the area where it presently occurs, not like anywhere in Colorado.

Third, this is not an insect that hitchhikes well (as does the European paper wasp) so for it to spread, it is on its own. And between eastern Washington and western Colorado there are thousands of geographic barriers that it would likely not be able to cross. I can not see any scenario on how it could get to Colorado on its own. (Not to mention it likely would not be well adapted to the area, and likely would not establish, if someone were to carry it here.)

Fourth, in the article much was made about it being a threat to honey bees. This is a generalist predator and honey bees are only one of many kinds of insects this insect hunts. It goes after large insects, mantids, probably katydids/tree crickets, likely social wasps (such as paper wasps) with accessible nest.... Hives of honey bees located near prime habitat of the Asian giant wasp - moist, low elevation wooded areas may be at some risk; hives located elsewhere would not. Whether this would be any worse that some of the hunting wasps established in NA that take out bees (the "bee wolves, Philanthus spp.) or western yellowjackets that not uncommonly take out weak honey bee colonies, is to be seen. I am not saying that this is not a species that can be detrimental to to honey bees, but let's keep it in proper perspective, as, if it permanently establishes, it will likely fall far down the line among the many recently established pests that pose problems to honey bees in North America (e.g,, varroa mite, small hive beetle, Nosema ceranae, many viruses......)

And finally, the name "murder wasp" is just silly and needlessly inflammatory. Its a predator it eats other insects, like all mantids, most all lady beetles and lacewings, all spiders, etc., etc. etc. Lady beetles are not "murder beetles", robber flies are not called "murder flies". (Although we do call the family Reduviidae the assassin bugs.)

And we have three wasp families (Sphecidae, Crabronidae, Pompilidae) that are very well represented in most any yard/garden in the state which are generally referred to by the far more benign term "hunting wasps". These insects paralyze their prey, haul the paralyzed insect to some nest, lay an egg on it and have a larval stage that slowly consumes the live - but paralyzed - insect. Should we call these the "kidnap and slowly butcher" wasps?

Whitney Cranshaw
Colorado State University

Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm a backyard beekeeper. Since I originally posted this I did some research. N. Europe has been dealing with them for a few years since they arrived in a pottery shipment.

As such they've come up with some ways to mitigate the predation of honeybee hives. One of the more interesting is this.

I disagree somewhat with the post above saying the geographic barriers would help keep the hornets from spreading. The gentleman seems to discount that they made it to Europe and N. America on the backs of humans. They'll make it over the Rockies and across the Great Plains just like they made it across the oceans.

Last edited by Steve; 05/04/20.

Carpe' Scrotum
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Entomologists have been following this for at least a couple of years now. It's believed they enter Port of Vancouver via international shipping. The gravid queens are trying to establish nesting colonies south from there. This is not an unknown pattern of invasion of a non native vespid species: V. germanica likely colonized the PNW the same way. Populations of this yellow jacket species are most certainly established now both on the Coast and in the western valleys of Oregon.

Last edited by longarm; 05/04/20. Reason: Typo
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BeanMan
Here’s some prospective from a former Boss of mine who is a very fine and knowledgable An Entomological perspective on “The Murder Wasp”

There has been a run on questions regarding the Asian giant hornet after a news article came out over the weekend.

That is a sensational story but couple of things to keep in mind.

First of all within the United States the Asian giant hornet is presently found (only very recently) in a tiny area of NE Washington and, perhaps, an adjacent area of BC. And there are efforts to try and eradicate it. Still too early too know if that is possible, but a variety of traps and controls have been developed for this in Asia and these can be adapted to try and use here.

Second, it is a woodland species adapted to moist, low elevation sites. Like the area where it presently occurs, not like anywhere in Colorado.

Third, this is not an insect that hitchhikes well (as does the European paper wasp) so for it to spread, it is on its own. And between eastern Washington and western Colorado there are thousands of geographic barriers that it would likely not be able to cross. I can not see any scenario on how it could get to Colorado on its own. (Not to mention it likely would not be well adapted to the area, and likely would not establish, if someone were to carry it here.)

Fourth, in the article much was made about it being a threat to honey bees. This is a generalist predator and honey bees are only one of many kinds of insects this insect hunts. It goes after large insects, mantids, probably katydids/tree crickets, likely social wasps (such as paper wasps) with accessible nest.... Hives of honey bees located near prime habitat of the Asian giant wasp - moist, low elevation wooded areas may be at some risk; hives located elsewhere would not. Whether this would be any worse that some of the hunting wasps established in NA that take out bees (the "bee wolves, Philanthus spp.) or western yellowjackets that not uncommonly take out weak honey bee colonies, is to be seen. I am not saying that this is not a species that can be detrimental to to honey bees, but let's keep it in proper perspective, as, if it permanently establishes, it will likely fall far down the line among the many recently established pests that pose problems to honey bees in North America (e.g,, varroa mite, small hive beetle, Nosema ceranae, many viruses......)

And finally, the name "murder wasp" is just silly and needlessly inflammatory. Its a predator it eats other insects, like all mantids, most all lady beetles and lacewings, all spiders, etc., etc. etc. Lady beetles are not "murder beetles", robber flies are not called "murder flies". (Although we do call the family Reduviidae the assassin bugs.)

And we have three wasp families (Sphecidae, Crabronidae, Pompilidae) that are very well represented in most any yard/garden in the state which are generally referred to by the far more benign term "hunting wasps". These insects paralyze their prey, haul the paralyzed insect to some nest, lay an egg on it and have a larval stage that slowly consumes the live - but paralyzed - insect. Should we call these the "kidnap and slowly butcher" wasps?

Whitney Cranshaw
Colorado State University

Interesting take on things by your boss. Thanks.

A couple of things I have questions about though.

If it doesn't hitchhike well, how did it get from Asia to Southern BC and NE WA??? On a pallet in a shipping container? During a non-lethal time of year (temp, humidity level)? Why could it not also travel that route to CO???

Fourth, in the article much was made about it being a threat to honey bees. This is a generalist predator and honey bees are only one of many kinds of insects this insect hunts. It goes after large insects, mantids, probably katydids/tree crickets, likely social wasps (such as paper wasps) with accessible nest.... Hives of honey bees located near prime habitat of the Asian giant wasp - moist, low elevation wooded areas may be at some risk; hives located elsewhere would not.

In other words, in addition to bees it will be killing and eating some other beneficial insects? I like mantids and wasps in my yard and garden. They eat a whole lot of bugs that are not friendly to my veggies. I may destroy a wasps nest if they put it where the door hits it upon opening, or near the shed doors. Otherwise, they get a pass. Mantids are sometimes moved into the greenhouse or garden bed if I find one elsewhere in the yard.

AS to it only liking "moist, low elevations sites" are we talking the Central Valley during pollination season? Sometimes a bit foggy there, artificial "forests of almond, walnut, peach, and other trees and a bajillion beehives brought in for the season? Being as how it's close the Sacramento and San Joaquin rivers and sometimes draws moisture up from the Bay, could those wasps survive the lower humidity periods. After all, the Valley is one of the largest overwintering waterfowl areas in the West, and as such is pretty "moist, low elevation" for a good part of the year.

Perhaps most of Colorado is unsuitable, but like many other unfriendly "imports' it may find a few spots it can thrive and become an issue. I'm glad it seemingly doesn't prefer areas like the one I live in, mid elevation, "high desert" climate. Maybe my bees will do OK.

Thanks again, but if this critter does become established, it will likely not be beneficial and maybe the best we can hope for is that it also kills caterpillars and other "bugs" we don't like along with the ones we do prefer.

Geno

Last edited by Valsdad; 05/04/20.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Steve,
your video won't play. Could you possibly just post the link instead of trying to embed it here? I'd like to see how the Euros are doing it.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Steve,
your video won't play. Could you possibly just post the link instead of trying to embed it here? I'd like to see how the Euros are doing it.

Think I fixed it. Try it again.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Steve,

I hope neither of us ever needs to use them, but it's nice to know they're available.

In it is contentment

Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm sure I'll need some in the next year or two. I'm in perfect habitat. Forest.

Europe hasn't been able to get rid of them. We won't be able to either.

Carpe' Scrotum
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (1badf350, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,337 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,702
Posts18,494,272
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.