Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
ok fellas i'm teetering on the fence on whether to purchase a couple Leica Visus 3-12x50mm for a couple Tikka's i just bought. so, from any actual visus owners what do y'all think of them after owning them for awhile? any issues cropped up? my choices are either said Leica or Zeiss conquest V4 3-12x56mm with #60 illum ret. i have a couple of the Zeiss already so i know what i have there. i like em but since the Leica's are discounted i thought i'd maybe try them out. my intended purpose for the scopes will be stand duty whitetail deer hunting at dawn and dusk and i'd appreciate the best view available for like money. i guess what i'm asking too is for those of you that have owned or used both of these scopes how did they perform in low light in the field under near dark conditions?
thanks,
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
GB1

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Man, that's a good question.

I've been looking at those really hard. Not sure about the 4a reticle in low light should the illumination konk out. Was looking at the Magnus non-illuminated and the reticles seemed thin for low light.

What makes me leery about the Visus is dialing on the fly.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by GyrPer1
Man, that's a good question.

I've been looking at those really hard. Not sure about the 4a reticle in low light should the illumination konk out. Was looking at the Magnus non-illuminated and the reticles seemed thin for low light.

What makes me leery about the Visus is dialing on the fly.

DIaling in the Dark? Visus is IMHO a set and forget scope. A 200 yard shot at the last minute of daylight is a long shot where I hunt. I would imagine the Visus has better glass then the Zeiss but not a big enough difference to frett over and none that would make a difference in most twilight shooting situations. I had a Zeiss Conquest DL 3-12x50, A Zeiss Victory HT 2-10x50 ,S&B Classic 2-10x56 and a Meopta R1r 3-12x56 all with #4,#6,#9 and 4k reticles and there was zip difference.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
i love the ret on the visus as it looks to be a dead ringer for my fav the zeiss #60. so with like rets i'm really only concerned with which will give me the best and longest view at dark30 should ole nasty step out.
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Not dialing in the dark, but the turrets don't look like they'd be winter friendly while wearing gloves, even light ones.

That said, I've never seen one in the real world, so could be off my rocker.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by GyrPer1
Not dialing in the dark, but the turrets don't look like they'd be winter friendly while wearing gloves, even light ones.

That said, I've never seen one in the real world, so could be off my rocker.

I would probably bypass the turrett model for sure. The Er5 and ER are the ones I am more familiar with. The ER is a nice scope, the visus is an upgraded ER from what I have been told.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I just picked mine up from the P.O. I had ordered it from CLNY over the weekend.
It's still in the box so I dont' have much to say, yet. I will be watching this thread and report when I have something to share.
donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have the 2.5-10x Visus and the reticle and dawn/dusk performance is superb. It holds zero under the recoil of a 7mm Weatherby Magnum and seems to track well when adjusting zero. I’ve only had it a month or two, but so far, so good! Not sure if anything will surpass it under the $1k price point. I’m thinking of ordering another one when I get my rifle herd culled and see what needs an upgrade. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (1234, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 17Hunter, 163bc, 74 invisible), 2,047 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,829
Posts18,496,613
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.