Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gerry35
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

My Accubond experience is thin, but if only one in five get stopped on average I need to see nearly 150 exits in a row to come back to even. That includes four 300gr 375s failing to exit a broadside bear when a 270gr TTSX had just gone full length through the same bear. That is supposed to be a tough bullet.

And for the record, they are not "bad" bullets any more than Partitions are bad bullets. I simply think if killing is the only goal most bullets are equal. If the other parameters make a difference it is easy to do better.

My AB experience isn't "thin", and mirrors what MD says, and his experience is as far from "thin" as it gets. I have never said they mirrored TTX/TTSX penetration characteristics that I'm aware of. AB:s are killing machines, whether they exit or not and to say otherwise shows a complete lack of knowledge and/or experience.

I'll take the opinion of a guy who has lots of experience with a bullet over someone with virtually none but has strong opinions.

Reading comprehension is a gift. Everything I have been saying is verified in this thread by others arguing with my points. Critical readers are very clearly seeing my points.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by gerry35
Originally Posted by JGRaider

My Accubond experience is thin, but if only one in five get stopped on average I need to see nearly 150 exits in a row to come back to even. That includes four 300gr 375s failing to exit a broadside bear when a 270gr TTSX had just gone full length through the same bear. That is supposed to be a tough bullet.

And for the record, they are not "bad" bullets any more than Partitions are bad bullets. I simply think if killing is the only goal most bullets are equal. If the other parameters make a difference it is easy to do better.

My AB experience isn't "thin", and mirrors what MD says, and his experience is as far from "thin" as it gets. I have never said they mirrored TTX/TTSX penetration characteristics that I'm aware of. AB:s are killing machines, whether they exit or not and to say otherwise shows a complete lack of knowledge and/or experience.

I'll take the opinion of a guy who has lots of experience with a bullet over someone with virtually none but has strong opinions.

Reading comprehension is a gift. Everything I have been saying is verified in this thread by others arguing with my points. Critical readers are very clearly seeing my points.

LOL. Talking out both sides of your mouth.
Integrity is where you lack congrats on the reading.

The answer to the bullet?? accubond 100-1 over tsx on anything that requires shots over 400. Those accubonds win. In side 400 as well but I’m not starving or desperately need rib meat.

PS I have fired more TSX’s and Accubond in a week than you have ever. 😉 Alaska must be the IQ state.

Remember heavywalker selling 20,000+. 85grain TSX’s. Wonder where little brother got those.

Last edited by fredIII; 05/31/19.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Poor Sitka dummy....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well not piss on the tsx train gang. My buddy shot a spike fork moose with a 375 RUM with a 270gr tsx. Guess what he recovered the bullet. These were chrono by me doing 2900 plus fps. Moose was about 100yds away. I like the accubonds I seen what they do to moose, caribou and bear. I also like the good ol partition, moose, deer, elk with them for me.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by 79S
Well not piss on the tsx train gang. My buddy shot a spike fork moose with a 375 RUM with a 270gr tsx. Guess what he recovered the bullet. These were chrono by me doing 2900 plus fps. Moose was about 100yds away. I like the accubonds I seen what they do to moose, caribou and bear. I also like the good ol partition, moose, deer, elk with them for me.

Killing is a messy business 😉.
2900 those hides will stretch and catch just about anything short of fmj.

I’ve been running lots of eld ‘S and the off rib cage catches them.
I can live with dead is dead.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
79S,

I know more than one African PH who prefers his Cape buffalo clients to use 270-grain .375 TSX's rather than 300's, BECAUSE they tend to stop under the hide, while the 300's tend to exit. Buffalo usually live in herds, either a small herd with a few other bulls, or a bigger herd including cows and calves--and they're often in pretty thick cover, where not all of the other members of the herd can be seen. PH's prefer not to shoot two buffalo with one bullet.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
79S,

I know more than one African PH who prefers his Cape buffalo clients to use 270-grain .375 TSX's rather than 300's, BECAUSE they tend to stop under the hide, while the 300's tend to exit. Buffalo usually live in herds, either a small herd with a few other bulls, or a bigger herd including cows and calves--and they're often in pretty thick cover, where not all of the other members of the herd can be seen. PH's prefer not to shoot two buffalo with one bullet.

I’d like to find an old test that gave exit velocities of various bullets. I was shocked at how slow most were going and how the hide catches most of them.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
79S,

Argumentum ad absurdum. There is nothing in North America close to Cape Buffalo in hardness and showing they are caught at that extreme end says nothing about the vast majority of use.

It also shows their tremendous respect for the penetration of the TSX. It is easily supported by empirical evidence that X bullets penetrate more. And not just a little more.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Art,

I wasn't arguing ANYTHING. Was just stating an interesting fact about PH preferences to 79S, who brought up 270 TSX's stopping in moose.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Art,

I wasn't arguing ANYTHING. Was just stating an interesting fact about PH preferences to 79S, who brought up 270 TSX's stopping in moose.

There is absolutely no pejorative in my use of argument. This is only a discussion on a very complex subject and there will be differences of opinion in any worthwhile discussion. Your information about PH preferences is good information to add to the data base.

I have seen various X bullets stopped, l know well it can happen. I have not personally caught one and have put a fair number through critters.

Obviously some do not value an exit wound as much as I.

Obviously some have not seen the reduction in meat loss, likely a function of inexperience. I believe I remember you writing you have seen it clearly. And obviously that is not absolute.

A lot of elements to the argument discussion...

Last edited by Sitka deer; 06/01/19. Reason: Fumble finger early post

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
[
Obviously some have not seen the reduction in meat loss, likely a function of inexperience. I believe I remember you writing you have seen it clearly. And obviously that is not absolute.

A lot of elements to the argument discussion...[/quote]

Well post some pictures of the elk and wasted meat.
LOL. Wish I could find a elk to shoot. 😂

[Linked Image]

Last edited by fredIII; 06/01/19.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Or this terrible mess.

[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Would not waste time on TSX’s for elk.

[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Or deer.

[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I did have a friend that swore hard cast was the ticket for everything hand gun then get a mag of gold dots handed over in the heat of the moment. TSX is the LR equivalent of hardcast.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
79S,

That's a very interesting fact, I wonder why the 270's have a tendency to stop under the hide.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fredIII
I did have a friend that swore hard cast was the ticket for everything hand gun then get a mag of gold dots handed over in the heat of the moment. TSX is the LR equivalent of hardcast.

Have a friend of sorts who swears by the 168 ttsx in his 300 wsm. He has 20 plus sheep numerous beats to his name and he thinks that bullet is the cats ass for sheep and whatever else. Me on the other hand look at BC realize much better bullets out there, for his intended purpose. Like the AB,ELD-X. But no telling him different. Kind of reminds me of my friend I hunted with in Oregon and he was a Sierra guy through and through you mention Speer bullets oh boy you got a tirade on what chitty bullet they were. Knew another guy in my youth you mention Sierra bullets he start bitching about how boattails blew up and hornady bullets were the only bullet to use. But I used them all and they all kill, but prefer accubonds or partitions.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
79S,
Listen to your friend about the 168 TTSX. I have had the same experience with them, that’s why I still load them! Likely, the .470 BC is not a handicap to most hunters. If you need something with an extremely high BC, it’s not your huckleberry.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WAM
79S,
Listen to your friend about the 168 TTSX. I have had the same experience with them, that’s why I still load them! Likely, the .470 BC is not a handicap to most hunters. If you need something with an extremely high BC, it’s not your huckleberry.

True. Our experience with MRX, TTSX and now LRX has been consistently good with no lost game and about 50% straight-down DRT. None have gone far.

While a .470 B.C. used to be pretty good, today's bullets leave that in the dust with numbers in the .5xx to.7xx range. At the ranges where most game is taken a .470 B.C. is more than adequate. Daughter #1 uses a 130g TTSX in her .308 Win, B.C. .350, and has taken game with it out past 350 yards with bang-flop results. Last year she got her muiie buck at with her hubby's .300WSM and a 165g TTSX, B.C. .442, at around 200 yards. Bang-flop on that one, too.

The 160g Speer Grand Slams I used for 20+ years in my 7mm RM have an advertised B.C. of .397. Pathetic - yet they killed many elk, and deer and antelope for me. Longest on elk was a nice bull at 411 yards lasered in 2015. Four steps and down.

The 100g TTSX I use in my .257 Roberts had an advertised B.C. of .357. Antelope don't know that and drop anyway.

High B.C. values are nice but it you have to have a special fast-twist barrel to use them they lose their advantage. They tend to be heavier as well, which means reduced velocity. May times they don't catch up to lighter bullets until way past normal shooting ranges. I have a Savage 111 I'm planning to rebarrel to 6.5 PRC. Great ballistics with a .625 B.C. for the Nosler 142g ABLR, but I have other loads with lower B.C. values that shoot flatter at normal ranges. In one comparison I ran the 6.5 PRC didn't start winning until about 1,000 yards. I don't ever plan to shoot game anywhere near that far.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 06/04/19. Reason: added a B.C. value

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
All those nasty wounds appear to have been fatal... grin

Seems to me B.C is overrated for general hunting, more of an issue for LR hunting, LR target shooting.

Terminal performance, OTOH, is very important.

Also, matching velocity with bullet design for optimal outcome.

But, dead is dead, sometimes not pretty. I'd rather lose some meat than lose an animal. Three quarters in the freezer beats no quarters.

DF

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 160user, 1234, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 53 invisible), 2,403 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,520
Posts18,472,532
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.