Hop To
Page 8 of 31 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 30 31
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
Originally Posted by Wp75169
I don’t mind paying for quality but I would absolutely not pay more for reliability. As stated a few pages back I already buy the top of the line Leupold hunting scope. It’s priced correctly assuming it’s reliable 100% period period. Is it?

No optic is 100% reliable, some are better than others.

No doubt. 100% reliable is unrealistic for any manufacturer. The point of the statement should be clear though.

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Reliability is THE most important quality a riflescope can have..... period, period. Leupold’s reliability could certainly use some improvement.... they lag WAY behind NF, SWFA, and upper end Bushnell (LRHS, DMR, etc).... there is NO debate about that.

I’ve personally seen “top of the line Leupold hunting scopes” (VX5/VX6) go tits-up on several occasions.... two of them didn’t work straight outta the box.

I’ve still got a couple older Leupolds with 1/2 MOA adjustments... they seem far more robust that the 1/4 MOA models.... maybe there’s something to that?

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can't recall having problems with tracking or not holding zero right off hand but I don't believe there would be this many complaints if it wasn't happening. My only real complaint is minor but click adjustments should click. I've got a $64 Bushnell Banner that clicks as does my 1989 Leupold Vari-X III. My Leupold VX1 & VX3 don't click, the adjustments feel like slight bumps in mud. Not much better than the old friction adjustments.

That said I'll stick with Leupold. They've been a good hunting scope for me. I've never missed a shot because of scope failure. I like their light weight, eye relief, resale value, customer service and they've always treated me right, better than right in some cases. Twice I've sent old scopes back to them for refinishing that I bought used. They were so old the finish had faded to brown. Both times they sent me a new model in the same power explaining the scopes I sent them had been discontinued. No charge and they paid the return freight.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have owned several, as well as many other brands. For the most part they have been good. I am not a "dialer" more a set and forget. I have seen they do not track as well as other brands. 1/4" is not a 1/4" consistently. Once set they do seem to hold zero. Doing a "ladder" or a "box" with a Leupold is a crap shoot. The friction clicks on some are just Cr**. They have depended on the lifetime warranty for far to long. Many other manufactures offer the same. Like most, it is the erector issues that have turned me off. They can make a good scope, they just don't seem to need to. I would consider a Leupold, but find there are way to many other options to compare too.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
1. Do whatever is necessary to fix the tracking and wandering zero problem.

2. Quit trying to kill the fixed powers. As best I can tell the only reticle standard for them is the worthless Wide Duplex, for anything else you go to the Custom Shop.

3. Quit BSing us with marketing hype. Catchy names don't make up for scope failures.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I own several Leupold scopes, almost all of them in the 1-4 or 1.5-5 version.

Three have failed over the years, all with lens units coming apart in the tube. All fixed (or replaced) quickly and without fuss.

What could be done better?
1/ I too have noticed that adjustments are not adjustments on Leupold. For rifles I want to dial, I don't generally buy Leupold. Fix that and I would buy more.

2/ Bring back longer tubes. Not everything is going onto a short action, or a rifle with a Pic Rail. It is just plain silly that the new VX5 range of scopes barely fits on a Remington Long action, and the resulting eye box is not big enough to make it work.

3/ Bring back certain scopes with a gloss option. The 3.5-10, 2-10 type scopes are great on a blued steel and walnut rifle, even better if offered with a gloss black finish.

4/ Don't rely upon the warranty to fix poor quality control. This approach is contemptuous of your customers and costs you more than you know. Leupold scopes struggle to offer value for money when new, think about your complete product lifecycle and where small changes in manufacture could reduce costs in maintenance. Don't discount the idea of dropping warranty to a generous defect only repair, instead of dumb owner negligent damage the scope and you repair it for free. Leupold have strong competition and should review the whole package to be competitive.

5/ If you are going to claim premium quality glass competitive with the Kahles/Swarovski/Zeiss products, then actually deliver it.

6/ Warranty again. A lifetime warranty isn't worth anything when the scope has a hissy fit some time during a two day hike into a hunting spot (or an hour in a helicopter/plane) and the damn rifle won't hit the critter you've come all this way (spent all this money) to shoot.

Design it right, build it right, package it right means you will have satisfied customers.

Last edited by Adamjp; 06/02/19.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
My bitch is why not make every one of ‘em just like the vari x iic (3-9x40) i just sighted in a 280 with tonight.. I had to make ONE adjustment to zero it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have one more...loose the dam “L” on top of scope rings. Tired of so called branding.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TomM1
I have one more...loose the dam “L” on top of scope rings. Tired of so called branding.

Easy now, my scope rings are my status symbol.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Hill Country Rifles has spoken (and performed demonstrations) to the folks at Leupold multiple times over the years regarding the issues. Their words have always fell on deaf ears. Could be wrong, but I seriously doubt they'll actually listen to Doug and make changes.

They'll just rename a series VX-8ii-R or whatever and call it "new and improved".

To your point....Formidilosus has met with Leupold engineers on a range, shown them their problems...See his post for an understanding of frustration from him and his crew... And, the denial of a scope manufacturer.

I doubt Leupold will give much regard to our thread, members concerns, or hostility.

The Fire is just a small segment of a hunting populace that shoots and hunts more than most who own a Leupold 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
1. Fix tracking and zero retention, and make adjustments something that happens as a repeatable command rather than a mere suggestion to the optic. I've experienced these problems with multiple scopes, including 2-7s, 1.5-5s, and a 1-4. I like to make low velocity cast bullet loads for practice. I should be able to rely on my notes to easily jump zeros between loads with repeatable adjustments, like "two up and one left at 50 for practice load" Instead I burn ammo and get more fed up. Burris and Nikons have not been a problem for me in this way.

2. Bring back affordable reticle change options.

3. Bring back gloss options

4. Don't feel obligated to make everything look tactical. Such scopes look pretty dorky on a normal rifle.

5. I very much dislike the wide duplex. How you guys could see fit to keep that while dumping something as useful as the LRD is baffling.

As many others have said, I'm holding off on any further Leupold purchases until there's some changes made and the issues are addressed. Even at discounted prices the frustration and unreliability are not worth it. It's a pity to see a once great Amercian brand turning into a turd.

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Plenty of scopes readily available that meet the needs described in this thread so why does anyone really care if it says Leupold on their scope. I still have four Leupolds but have not purchased one for 8 years and have not missed them at all. Had two VX3s and an FX3 bite the dust and lost faith. Swarovski, Meopta, Zeiss, S&B and Leica have since replaced my Leupolds and have all worked perfectly.

Leupold knows exactly how many scopes they sell and how many show back up for warranty work. They are in business to make a profit and until that changes, their scopes will also remain unchanged. Nothing in this thread is news to Leupold.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll use Meopta till Leupold figures it out.

Reticle change cost needs fixed also

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I was at the reigns, it'd be war on NF and SWFA.

SWFA would be an easy take down with a fixed 6x and 10x 42mm, capped windage, low profile ele w/ zero stop, rip off the MQ reticle to a tee, keep it as light as possible with robust internals that have a ton of travel. Offer a 1" version in MOA for the old guys. $300 for the first couple years.

NF would require a long game and there would be a whole lot of yelling on my part as it's unbelievable that the folks in Beaverton have this much catching up to do.

Seriously Leupold, you had things by the balls....

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Doug,

I think it's noteworthy that you want to help "show" Leupold the dissatisfaction from a certain segment of the shooting population. However, Leupold knows the product return rate. You know that. They have received constructive feedback from qualified shooters in military and civilian positions but have made a business decision to offer all-things-to-all-shooters. That is their goal as an outdoor company, to offer consumer grade scopes that satisfy the needs of the general shooting population.

Leupold's goal is not to offer bombproof consumer grade scopes. That is a niche market, and in conflict with offering all-things-to-all-shooters. Again, you know this as well. You haven't been in the optics industry for all these years without knowing this.

This thread isn't going to "show" Leupold anything that they don't already know. However, since you started this thread I hope that you provide unfiltered responses from Leupold. Otherwise it's just a sponsor trying to play facilitator between consumer and manufacturer. We don't need more BS in this interaction with Leupold.

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 06/01/19.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
It’s tough to fix something.... when you’re you’re constantly saying nothing is wrong.

All the while..... you’re “service” department is working 24/7.... but that’s just you’re great “warranty”.... right?

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dog, I'm not sure that the Service Department has been "working".

The clean "bill of health report card" that Leupold gives doesn't necessarily mean much anymore. Scopes will obvious issues have been sent back to owners with a clean report card. This has been noted by different people.

Key people from the Service Department left a few years ago. Some to go work for competitors in the local area.

I think this is another issue that I'd like to see Doug report back to us on. Better yet, have a Leupold rep answer these questions directly. Having a middleman or sponsor, just doesn't offer much extra.

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 06/01/19.
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
The really sad thing Doug is that you sell a Chinese made product that gets better tracking and reliability reviews than Leupold does. Surely thats a heads up for them and for you.

Leupold offers a CDS turret , so at the least they should back that up with something under them that dials reliably. Ive had 2 VX3 that didn't, and am now over the brand. I saw it as a fundamental engineering problem and biffed them in the bin. A complete waste. If I had had them repaired I would have never trusted them in the future, and it wouldn't have been fair to have them repaired and sell them on.

Last edited by NZSika; 06/01/19.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by NZSika
Ive had 2 VX3 that didn't, and am now over the brand. I saw it as a fundamental engineering problem and biffed them in the bin. A complete waste. If I had had them repaired I would have never trusted them in the future, and it wouldn't have been fair to have them repaired and sell them on.

Well schidt, let’s talk shopping...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by RickBin
Originally Posted by koshkin
Well, the first thing I would like for Leupold to do is make a FFP hunting scope with reliable itnernals. There are not that many of them and that is a niche they can clearly address.

Just look at the popularity of the SWFA SS 3-9x42 on this forum.

I look at a fair number of scopes and to me, Mark 5 HD is a clear step up in consistency over Mark 4 and Mark 6, just like VX-5HD and VX-6HD are a clear step up over VX-3 and the like.

I bet if Leupold makes a 2-10x42FFP hunting scope with a covered windage turret and locking elevation turret with zero stop.

With an intelligently designed reticle and if they manage to keep the price under $900, they will make a killing. If they can't figure how to do the reticle the right way for this, I'll design one for them pro bono.

ILya

Worth repeating, both for the content and for the source.

Thats it ! I would also like them to update the styling, the gold rings are like white side wall tires, very yesterday.

Page 8 of 31 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 30 31

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

245 members (2500HD, 204guy, 16penny, 280shooter, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 30 invisible), 2,253 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,882
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.