-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
After missing a monster bird last year.... a set of adjustabe fiber optic sights and another year of practice resulted with this....

[Linked Image]

This is the earliest youth hunt in Missouri history (3/31) and after last Saturday we are both liking the lack of henned up toms!!

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is awesome!!! I love to see young people getting into our beloved sport. Congratulations to both of you!!

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great Picture,the smile say's it all!

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Priceless.........

Proud Member of the AccuBond Society.......
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Man what a beautiful picture. Congrats!!

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Need to have that picture framed. Congrats to both of you. I know you are both happy.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Awesome indeed! Good going for both of you, congrat's! Was that Saturday or Sunday? The weather wasn't the greatest Saturday and I thought about the kids out there.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It was Saturday... The weather was perfect up here on Sat. Sunday was a different story though!

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
As an aside.......if anyone out there is having trouble getting acceptable patterns out of a 20 ga. You might try Fiocchi Golden Pheasant loads. I bought both kids a Rem 870 Youth 20ga two years ago and pulled my hair out trying to get acceptable patterns using traditional turkey loads and super full chokes.

We patterned everything we could get our hands on. While some were acceptable for 25yd shooting, I felt both guns should do better. Thinking the large shot of traditional turkey loads was the problem I dug through the door panels of my truck while at the range a couple of weeks ago and found a couple 20ga Win AA target loads loaded with #8 shot.

As an experiment I fired a few at life size turkey targets and was amazed at the pattern density and uniformity. Thinking I had solved the 20ga turkey load riddle (smaller shot) I began looking around for turkey loads loaded with 7.5 shot size. Obviously #8's are to small for turkey hunting but having killed a few birds with 12 ga #7.5 turkey loads, I knew they would work in a 20 ga.

Problem is, I could not find a single source online or otherwise that sold #7.5 20 ga turkey loads. I did however come across the 3" Fiocchi Golden Pheasant stuff at Midway. The load consists of 1 1/4 oz of Nickle plated #7.5's at 1200 fps and patterns very well in both guns. At 10 dollars for a box of 25 it sure beats the heck out traditional turkey loads in every way. It basically changed our 870 youth 20's from 25yd guns to reliable 35yd guns

So if you are having trouble with a youth 20 ga load give the 3' Fiocchi stuff a shot.....Wish I'd found it a couple of years ago

X-VERMINATOR

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Awesome pic and thanks for the tip!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very nice, I have been getting good results out of Winchester 3" #5 out of my kids 20ga 870 youth.

CK

CK
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We also use the Winnie 3" #5 in the girls 870 youth with good results.

X - Congratulations to the girl and you. You might be starting an addiction. My girl got me started hunting turkeys and while we both share the passion, I think she likes it better than I do.

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I hear ya! I've always liked hunting turkeys but mine is a turkey fanatic. Since she was 2 she has gone with me on the four wheeler just about every evening when I'd try to roost birds for myself. She has patiently awaited her turn and it finally paid off. Little brother is 7 and this year was to be his first but the second and last day of the youth season was a rain out for us.

He's still PO'ed but I promised I would not shoot a turkey during the regular season untill he did. Truth be told, I enjoy calling birds for them more than shooting them myself......

BTW, what choke are you using in your daughters 20 youth? We are using factory Remmy super fulls and they won't shoot Winnie #5's for crap!

X-VERMINATOR

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X- the choke is a HS Strut. If I remember correctly, it was called the Undertaker. We've had it a few years now, have no idea if they still make it. When we got it, there wasn't many 20 bore Turkey Chokes available around here. It is not ported, but it does protrude about 3/4" beyond the barrel and is knurled for easy grip. We shoot the Winnie #5's as we can score them at Wal-Mart. Be careful patterning turk loads as I developed a flinch doing this...

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That pic is perfect. Thanks for sharing.

Jim

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Congrats to both of you. Anywhere near Callaway county? Glad to hear that some of the younger crowd was able to prevail against the terrible weather we had that weekend.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
North Eastern Franklin Co.... Labadie to be exact!

X-VERMINATOR

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Now that is nice. Pretty gobbler, big smile on a little girls face, and what looks like some real nice territory to hunt in. Never forget that day I'm betting. smile

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Never!

X-VERMINATOR

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Wow, that�s truly awesome. Congratulations to you and your family.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (257Bob, 06hunter59, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 52 invisible), 12,184 guests, and 1,099 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,259
Posts18,544,634
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.