Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Are the older Leupold and Redfield scopes good purchases? I’m thinking mainly of the Leupold M8 2.5x and the Denver-manufactured Redfields in the same category. Ruggedness is my primary concern in a scope. Gift edged optical clarity, light gathering and such are of secondary concern to me.

GB1

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have a couple of older Leupold scopes, they are great. I used to have at least 30 old Redfield scopes. They gave me good service.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I use a bunch of M8’s and haven’t crushed one yet. Pain in the butt to zero but they tend to stay put once you get them there.

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

All that I use.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I had an older Redfield 2-7 variable the eye relief was a little short and critical for focus, it once knocked the hell out of my nose from recoil at the shooting bench. After that, I was not able to completely relax with that scope finally sold it.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have some older Leupolds, 30 plus years old. They still work great.

NRA Patron
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have Redfield and Leupolds that may be up to 50 years old.

Leupold started using an alpha prefix in 1974 and a couple of my 2-7x28 and 3-9x40 Vari-X scopes are from 1968 thru 1972.

I have some old Denver Redfields, 2 3/4x and 2-7x. The 2-7x scopes have been refurbished and the reticles changed by Ironsight, Inc., in Tulsa, OK.

When I started hunting in the late 1960's Leopolds and Redfields were the standard by which other scopes were measured against in northern New England. That said, I don't know if I'd want a 40+ year old scope on a 1st tier hunting rifle 'cause even old stuff in good condition is still old.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Id bet the older Leupold are no more rugged than current production.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
By all accounts, you'd be wrong, at least when it comes to holding zero. My impression, and I'm not alone, is that the ones with friction knobs stay put better than the clicky ones. Even the early VX-1 4-12 I had served well on several rifles up to .308, with no jumping around. Until they do something about the issues, I'll buy old ones, or something else.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a couple of older VariX-IIs, an old VariX-III, and a few M8s. They have been very good.

IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Pappy348
By all accounts, you'd be wrong, at least when it comes to holding zero. My impression, and I'm not alone, is that the ones with friction knobs stay put better than the clicky ones. Even the early VX-1 4-12 I had served well on several rifles up to .308, with no jumping around. Until they do something about the issues, I'll buy old ones, or something else.

Im sure im not alone in saying that I own both and never had a problem with any of them. The only reason I still own anything thats not VX is because I happen to like the gloss finish and the rifles they are on I dont necessarily need the optical performance of the VX vs VariX glass/coatings.
Im certain if the internet was around back then as it is today people would be talking about broken Leupolds. You typically dont hear of anyone talking about older Leupold scopes failing anymore because based on sheer numbers, they aren't as prevalent.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Leupold was great until the bean counters started sub-dividing the lines. Just make a GD scope that works and stfu.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I don't know if I'd want a 40+ year old scope on a 1st tier hunting rifle 'cause even old stuff in good condition is still old.

That’s the first thing that came to my mind.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by warpig602
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Im sure im not alone in saying that I own both and never had a problem with any of them. The only reason I still own anything thats not VX is because I happen to like the gloss finish and the rifles they are on I dont necessarily need the optical performance of the VX vs VariX glass/coatings.
Im certain if the internet was around back then as it is today people would be talking about broken Leupolds. You typically dont hear of anyone talking about older Leupold scopes failing anymore because based on sheer numbers, they aren't as prevalent.

I've not had one fail either, but I don't use them hard at all or dial them. Those here that do either report an alarming rate of failure. Mule Deer has given up entirely on newer ones, and only uses M8 fixed powers. Unlike some here, he absolutely knows how to mount and test scopes correctly, and I trust his word and judgement.

I still have and use a couple newer Leupolds. A VX-2 gave me a lot of trouble while trying to zero it the first time, but that cleared up after running the dials a few times, as suggested by Leupold. I just moved it to a rifle I'm giving to my son. We'll see how it goes on that one when I sight it in. A VX-3 and VX-5 HD gave no trouble, but I ran those dials before mounting them. The 3 was sold, but the 5 is on my Fieldcraft, where it's a perfect fit. Time will tell how it lasts as a set and forget on that light kicker. A VX-1 2-7 SG-ML scope has held up well on the hard-kicking Knight UL it's on; at least a couple hundred shots.

Others brands, including Bushnell Trophy XLT (3), a Tract Tekoa, a SWFA, and four Hawke Endurance models, have functioned perfectly from the get-go, including some light dialing; no zero-chasing at all. One of the new Leupold Redfields acted like the VX-2, but settled down eventually. My son has that one now, but hasn't fired it in a while.

The point of all this is that a bunch of other brands, most costing less than Leupolds and all made made in Asia (four in China), have worked perfectly while some Leupold-manufactured ones have been balky, even with the light use they get here. I see no reason to pay more for scopes that are troublesome to sight in, or to risk the failures that other, reliable sources have reported. If you're happy with yours, good.

What fresh Hell is this?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 68 invisible), 2,428 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,447
Posts18,489,641
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.