Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
GreatWaputi: Don't worry - they'll be back!
In fact our eldest VarmintSon and his Mrs. are here right now, for a week long vacation with us.
He lives 650 miles away and we get to see him about 3 - 4 times a year.
We are going shooting today and fishing tomorrow and sightseeing the next day.
The VarmintWife and I indeed did miss the VarmintSons once they left "the nest" for out of state colleges, but we have adjusted and are hoping for more VarmintGrandChildren.
Some say absence makes the heart grow fonder - I think there is some truth to that.
Yeah - you will get used to the quiet - I know I sure did.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Part time empty nesters going on four years now. Last kid is home from college for her last summer before Senior year. She was back working the day after she stepped off the plane so I doubt we'll see much of her anyway. Other two fully employed right out of college and never came back. One married and produced me an awesome Grandson.

I hate to say it but I miss them all dearly. It not a pretty sight when I start blubbering.

Walking around nude and sex on demand is nice though.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
They come back. Oldest did his best to suck the life out of me. Ever wanted to stand on his own 2 feet. Just like his mothe taught him. He had 4 kids bang bang. I was the reason they didn't go hungry most the time. Finally got him off my back and now finds any reason he can to be mad at me. Last message I sent him I said have a nice life. My other 2 sons are nothing like him. Bad genes from the other side

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
there are definite positives to your kids being independent.

weekends aren't kids activities, they are what my wife and I want to do.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I feel one of my greatest accomplishments is raising two sons who are self sufficient and out in the world on their own. My wife and I have been empty nesters for nearly 4 years and it is OUTSTANDING.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Our youngest daughter graduated from the local Community College two weeks ago and has moved out. Very quiet around our house. I don't like it. We need some grandkids.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by JDK
I feel one of my greatest accomplishments is raising two sons who are self sufficient and out in the world on their own. My wife and I have been empty nesters for nearly 4 years and it is OUTSTANDING.

Hahaha. You sound like my dad.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I wrapped my sons' lunches in road maps since they were 5. They finally too heed. They are always welcome back but they aren't staying.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

With our youngest turning 40 earlier this year and our oldest 48 next month, and all three living on their own and supporting themselves for years now, we are well past the empty nest pangs period. Other than memories of good times and a few not so good, it passed and started to feel pretty much the normal for us in just a few years.

With our six grand kids spread out from 5 years of age to just turned 22 now, and all live within a mile or two, we still have younguns around pretty regularly to remind us of all the stages we went through raising their parents, plus grand kids can be more fun since you have more free time for them (and they go back to their own home).

We've had our turn and now it's the next generation's turn to take the reins.

You never know, our kids and/or grand kids may be spoon feeding, wiping slobber off our chins and cleaning up after us before it's all over.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Our youngest graduated high school today and is going away to school out of state in a month. I always thought being an empty nester would be cool, but now that reality has set in, I'm not so sure.

I was blessed with two wonderful kids that we adopted when they were weeks old. It was pretty hard at first to get used to not having them around, but seeing as they're making their way in this world successfully it made it easier. We still very much enjoy their company, but enjoy our freedom as well.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by joken2

With our youngest turning 40 earlier this year and our oldest 48 next month, and all three living on their own and supporting themselves for years now, we are well past the empty nest pangs period. Other than memories of good times and a few not so good, it passed and started to feel pretty much the normal for us in just a few years.

With our six grand kids spread out from 5 years of age to just turned 22 now, and all live within a mile or two, we still have younguns around pretty regularly to remind us of all the stages we went through raising their parents, plus grand kids can be more fun since you have more free time for them (and they go back to their own home).

We've had our turn and now it's the next generation's turn to take the reins.

You never know, our kids and/or grand kids may be spoon feeding, wiping slobber off our chins and cleaning up after us before it's all over.

Great post.
We have helped raise all 9 of our grandkids. Off and on since they were born. We wouldnt change it if we could, except maybe have parents that grew up faster
Since school is out we will have 4 to 6 teenager and a 5 and 6 year old off and on all summer. Grandkids are way better than kids, you can send them home. I think it is easier with the grandkids mostly because I have mellowed out and dont take life so seriously.

Our 6 year old granddaughter told her mom when she picked her up from school on the last day to hurry home so she could pack her room up cause she was moving to papas for the summer. 😁

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
'Mother Dearest' flew the coop, when the nest emptied out....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I find it wonderful. Cookie and I do what we want on our own schedule. Also got to retire about 3 years early when the kid decided to not do college.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Other than some hellish times with my extremely strong willed daughter during her teenage years I enjoyed dang near every second of raising our kids.

It’s way easier and simpler with just the two of us, well when that happens. But still lucky to enjoy our adult kids, just came back from one of our rec cabins with the 25 year old guy. The river it’s on is known to be difficult to run due to how winding it is, very shallow water in places, lots of sweepers and log jams, narrow river to begin with runnable channels even more narrow of course. Sometimes the channel is only 1 boat width 🤷🏻‍♂️ He handled the boat like a pro and we sooooo enjoyed his company.

His lil bro is 21 and they share a condo together. I asked him while at the cabin if he liked it that his lil bro loves him so much?

He said yep cause I love that lil stubborn chit too.

We’ve been really blessed, our family turned out closer than I could have ever dreamed.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Part time empty nesters going on four years now. Last kid is home from college for her last summer before Senior year. She was back working the day after she stepped off the plane so I doubt we'll see much of her anyway. Other two fully employed right out of college and never came back. One married and produced me an awesome Grandson.

I hate to say it but I miss them all dearly. It not a pretty sight when I start blubbering. Walking around nude. and sSex on demand is nice though.

Fixed it for ya. grin

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
it is easier with the grandkids mostly because I have mellowed out and dont take life so seriously.

Amen !

I enjoyed our kids but I was a pretty intense dad, probably too intense in retrospect

Everyone that was around us much when we were raising ours knows I didn’t brook any chit from them, particularly when we were working. Smarter and better dad most likely coulda instilled the same values without so much high volume cussin and yelling 🤦🏼‍♂️

The grands I just smile and relax they’ll most likely be fine, cause my daughter doesn’t brook any chit from them. 😂 but she does it a bit milder than I did 👍🏻

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
👍

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Sako76
It sucks! I wish my daughter was 3 years old and at home!

My lass will be back on Friday for her seven week semester break, she starts back at work on Saturday and is already on the work roster for the next seven weeks, any days off we will wander out to cut firewood and do some shooting.

After work each night around 1am we go running and plan how we are going to annoy my wife by buying her stuff she doesn't need...I cannot wait.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Our youngest graduated high school today and is going away to school out of state in a month. I always thought being an empty nester would be cool, but now that reality has set in, I'm not so sure.

It IS cool! REALLY cool!

Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Enjoy it while you can. When your wife moves your elderly MIL in, you'll long for the empty nest.

Oh, sh.........
Buzzkill.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I tell folks - "We threw the kids out, and the daughter came back, dragging 4 grandkids" They both have been relatively self-supporting since they were in college, however - most who know us realize when I'm joking smile

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

491 members (10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,295 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,134
Posts18,502,671
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.