-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I guess maybe my Czech heritage inspired me my to start making my own sausage 17yrs ago.I think it's a great way to enjoy the game you harvest in the field.I have all the tools to make it.I have my own recipe and I'd like to share my recipe and how I make it.I think it's my best one yet.I use pecan chips for the smoke.One thing I did this time was add one head of peeled cooked garlic,mashed in the water I cooked it in,added that to my spice mixWow,it was great.Here is my recipe.This is for 25lbs of meat. 4oz sea salt,2oz fresh ground black pepper,3 tablespoons of garlic powder,2 tablespoons of ground mustard,3/4 oz of whole mustard seed,3 tablespoons of marjoram leaves,1 oz of #1 cure.Next peel one head of garlic and cook in a cup or so of water until the garlic is soft enough to mash(about 15 mi).Let it cool or add a little ice to cool it and add to the spices with any additional water needed to dissolve the spices.Add it to the meat,mix well and run it back through the grinder.I usually run all my meat through a 1/4" or 5/16" plate first.Add spice slurry,mix and run it back through my grinder through a large plate.The one I use has only four pie shaped holes.I don't want to grind my meat any finer,just want to get my meat and spices mixed well on this second run.I made a batch last month 1/2 deer and pork,the batch I made this month was with 19lbs. of pork and 6lbs. of deer and it was excellent too.Simple,but it works great.I like to use pecan chips for smoking.They come out nice and red.The secret is in the smoking.It takes only four hours.130 degrees for the first hour,150 degrees for the second hour and 160-165 degrees for the next two hours.Then spray it with cool water and then let it cool while still on the sticks for one hour.After that I let it cool in the fridge overnight and then vacuum pack after that.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/jw8DXhYT/Sausage-2019-2.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/jw8DXhYT/Sausage-2019-2.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/BXPjTDYW/sausage-2019-4.jpg[/img]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
More pics.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks for the recipe! That looks like a good setup you have there. Sausage looks ready to eat.

Last edited by Texczech; 06/03/19. Reason: Hit post too quick.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I cook it for about 15-20 minutes.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I usually do a 50/50 or 60/40 pork butt/deer,but I have to say,I really like the last batch I did with the 19lb pork butt/6lb deer.I guess that would be a very good way to make your deer meat go farther.

Last edited by baldhunter; 06/03/19.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yeah mixing it that way will make the deer last longer.
I bet the sausage would be good in spaghetti sause.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I tell you,adding that cooked head of garlic and the water it was cooked in really took it to a whole nother level.It really enhanced the flavor and I don't think I'll ever make another batch without it.I made a batch with Legg's original just to see what everybody was harping about.My recipe puts it to shame.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The recipe says 1oz of #1 cure.
What is that and where do you buy it?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Some grocery stores carry it.Local meat markets for sure.You can also order it online at Academy too. https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/bolner-fiesta-4-oz-curing-salt#repChildCatid=888206

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks for the answer and the link.
We need to get our traps back out
And get some pigs!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
If you use wild pig you really need to add some fat.I like to use pork butts because it is about 80/20 meat to fat.You want your sausage to be juicy,not too dry.Using the butts my sausage is always juicy but not greasy.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The last couple of years we haven't had to add fat. We have farmers around our deer lease. I would guess that is where they are getting fat.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
But I agree we like about 20% fat.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Good stuff...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Thanks for sharing. Did you build that smoker just for this recipe?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
No I've been using the metal frame for years.I just put new wood and stapled sheets of extra heavy duty foil on the inside.I use a high volume low pressure propane burner for my heat.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Mmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

130 members (2500HD, 6mmCreedmoor, 44mc, 10gaugemag, 35, 69sportfury, 13 invisible), 1,568 guests, and 924 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,119
Posts18,483,520
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.