-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 31 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 30 31
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good on Dougs part to take this on. When I was the Service Director for our dealership Ford never needed to ask us what needed to improve on the quality control front. All they had to do was look at their warranty claims. That told them plenty. Basically the same things went wrong on the same vehicles. But its good to ask your customers what experiences they are having.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by powdr
Doug, this may sound trivial to you but if you go back to when Leupold raised the price of changing a reticle from $60 to $200...it played bloody hell w/their reputation. That's one of the only things that Leupold had left going for them and they screwed it up too. Many guys around that time had a scope on the shelf or had just got a good deal on one because they new they could change the reticle from one they didn't like. Well it didn't take long for them to make another pile of enemies...again. Just like that darn wide duplex reticle. They need to fire the sob that thought that one up. powdr

Curious, how long had Leupold held that $60 price. I am guessing many years but do not know.

I recall seeing $50 posted by more than one member here on the campfire some years back. So if that's not a typo by powdr, there was a change to $60 before going to $200.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by IceCut

Hmmm....do you shoot sticks? Bipod? Ranging devices? Can you read wind? Or, better yet, when was the last time you shot standing using a sling and no stick? When was the last time you shot sitting with no crutch? When was the last time you shot prone without bags or bipod?

I see it at my range all the time. The young guys are pretty [bleep] marksmen without their crutches.....

Maybe, you forgot the primary building blocks of marksmanship.....no offense.....

Even if you could whip David Tubb, Carl Bernosky and Sherri Gallagher all on the same day it would have no bearing whatsoever on the mechanical issues being discussed.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Ive never had a reticle changed. Going from$60 to $200,they may as well have just quit doing it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Ive never had a reticle changed. Going from$60 to $200,they may as well have just quit doing it.

I think that may have been the point.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Tell Leupold to get rid of that dogshit wide duplex reticle.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Thanks for the effort, Doug. Hell of a way to spend your weekend!

It did give me more reading than any novel would have and hopefully in the end it will be worth it.

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I hope they keep the wide duplex. I much prefer it over the regular duplex.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by N2TRKYS
I hope they keep the wide duplex. I much prefer it over the regular duplex.

What is its virtue for you ? For me the opening is so wide it may as well be a plain crosshair.

J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I think I own nine Leupolds. Mostly older M8's, but a few others too. I have had one issue with the "erector". It was on a 4x33 M8. I sent it in, along with an explanation letter, a few weeks later, I had my scope back, repaired and "gone through," with a letter detailing all of the work that was done to the scope. I was pretty happy, though I never realized the erector issue was that widespread. I guess it wasn't just a freak thing,

I was happy with the way they handled the claim, 100% though.

I suppose if I were to make any recommendations, as petty as it sounds, bring back the gloss option, even if it costs a little bit more. Some of us like glossy scopes to match our glossy rifles. Not everyone is, or wants to be, a tactical operator. Been there, done that. Got the challenge coin.

I understand that matte finishes, 3" high turrets, reticle illumination, inferred, lasers, night vision, M-Rad, Mil-Dot, leveling bubbles, reticles with rangefinders and bullet drop compensators are all the rage now, and Leupold is just responding to 95% of the market demand, but don't forget about us simple folk, the 5%.

How about release an entirely separate line of scopes? Call them the "Classic Line" or some such. Matte and gloss finished fixed 2.5x, 4x, 6x, or even 3-9x and 4-12x scopes with plain duplex or boring fine crosshairs. How about bring back the old HBR style 6x scopes. Folks will buy them.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
IC B3

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I’m tired or reading about Leupold BS and I’m sure someone will suggest that I STFU and move on if I don’t like it. Save your pixels, I’m doing just that! LOL

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
J23,

I concur with your last paragraph. Why not a german no. 4 reticle too? Definitely a gloss finish, 2.5 x ,a 4x, 6x (for that group of folks). Less SKUS seem to be the rage so instead ofa3-9and 4-12, maybe one scope model that catches both : 3-12x for-example. Really good ideas and points there.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
If I had interest in Leupold I would sell and buy Nightforce.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Originally Posted by Bearded

Y’all aren’t gonna stop until I try one of these. What’s the glass comparable to?

It’s about VX2 level glass. More than adequate for all my hunting needs.

Swfa glass aint the best, but it sure is good enough...Being a variable lover- the SS 4-15 is a nice scope, even with door knobs for turrets.😎

The brightness, colour rendition, and contrast are $300 worth, but the resolution, in variable atmospherics, is $1500 worth.

Is the HD line a significant step up in glass quality? I think I’m gonna bite on either the SS 6x or HD 3-9

Last edited by Bearded; 06/03/19.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I read a piece on Leupold and how the family dominated board had arguments on whether or not to take a very lucrative govt contract to make military optics. The pro-military contract faction eventually won but just the fact that they had such a discussion sorta profiles who they are, who they have become. Bet the founders weren’t like that.

I’m guessing West coast libs, probably rich, privileged brats. Don’t know any of them, just observing.

Given that profile, who can guess what they gonna do.

DF

And the big deal was their scopes being used by the govt to kill people. It evidently was quite a fight before level heads prevailed. So, those privileged heirs didn't seem overly worried about making money.

With that snowflake level of thinking, I doubt the board is overly concerned about what we (out in fly over country) think. I would hope mgt. would take heed and move accordingly.

I don't see why some engineering can't fix whatever is the problem.

I have friends who think this stuff is all malarkey, others who I respect a lot, report serious issues, even with new scopes. I've sent a few back, but still like the brand.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

Y’all aren’t gonna stop until I try one of these. What’s the glass comparable to?

It’s about VX2 level glass. More than adequate for all my hunting needs.

Swfa glass aint the best, but it sure is good enough...Being a variable lover- the SS 4-15 is a nice scope, even with door knobs for turrets.😎

The brightness, colour rendition, and contrast are $300 worth, but the resolution, in variable atmospherics, is $1500 worth.

Is the HD line a significant step up in glass quality? I think I’m gonna bite on either the SS 6x or HD 3-9

Depends what you call "significant". The glass in the 3-9x is a bit better, but the 6x is honestly very good.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Mathman, I believe I've figured it out. The wide duplex does double duty as a crosshair & a binocular substitute.

It may also have some ranging potential for ELR shooting.

Defend the Constitution
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by tomk
Mathman, I believe I've figured it out. The wide duplex does double duty as a crosshair & a binocular substitute.

It may also have some ranging potential for ELR shooting.

The gap is too large to range anything but elephants up close. grin

Holdover maybe. How many moa/mils from center to thick transition on the wide duplex?

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I read a piece on Leupold and how the family dominated board had arguments on whether or not to take a very lucrative govt contract to make military optics. The pro-military contract faction eventually won but just the fact that they had such a discussion sorta profiles who they are, who they have become. Bet the founders weren’t like that.

I’m guessing West coast libs, probably rich, privileged brats. Don’t know any of them, just observing. Given that profile, who can guess what they gonna do.

And the big deal was their scopes being used by the govt to kill people. It evidently was quite a fight before level heads prevailed. So, those privileged heirs didn't seem overly worried about making money. With that snowflake level of thinking, I doubt the board is overly concerned about what we (out in fly over country) think. I would hope mgt. would take heed and move accordingly.

I don't see why some engineering can't fix whatever is the problem. I have friends who think this stuff is all malarkey, others who I respect a lot, report serious issues, even with new scopes. I've sent a few back, but still like the brand.

I'm glad you elaborated on the 'why' of the arguments over the military contract. As for fixing the problem(s), it sounds to me like it is very much quality control related, not just design, based on the comment below by JB.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
As for Leupold, I still have quite a few, but mostly scopes at least a decade old, and the majority are M8 fixed powers, which for certain kinds of hunting are excellent. As an example, have had a 4x M8 on my lightweight 9.3x62 for around 15 years now, and it simply never changes POI. Even their variables almost never used to break, but since 2010 I've had to send so many Leupolds (both fixed and variable) that I eventually printed out a stack of repair forms so they'd be on hand.

Page 12 of 31 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 30 31

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,109 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,664
Posts18,493,675
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.