Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Enjoyable thread. Howie Carr on NewsMax today mentioned the date and its significance on his show and outlined briefly a lot of what you all said today. Only talking head I've heard to mention it today.

Hang on to your memories; they're better than the real thing ever was - Joe Sherlock

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
[
9-11 did not destroy half of the US Navy.[/quote
Nor did the attack on Pearl Harbor. We lost a bunch of near antique battleships but not one of the Queens of naval battle for WWII. The battle wagons that got raised and used for shore bombardment were too slow and too fuel inefficient for the carrier war in the pacific.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Japan would not have won the war no matter what the outcome of Midway or Guadalcanal. It might have taken longer, but the outcome in the end would be the same. The Japanese ran out of oil, raw materials and ideas. their industrial output was a fraction of America's. Their population was much smaller. The nuclear bomb was going to happen regardless.

Sam......

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Midway...
That was a real thing.
My Uncle was in all that.
They buried him at Arlington last summer.
He was the last one.
Dad and 5 uncle's fought down there. All dead.
America's glory lay in the dust. Look at what we have become.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Those brave men flew planes that were no match for the enemy but they did it anyway. They fought as best they could and held them until the carriers could finish them off. We owe them a debt of gratitude.

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Very neat. If you want to read the BEST book on the battle, get "Shattered Sword"... paperback on Amazon. incredible read..

True statement.

I read Fuchida's account, and it read like a "I told you so!" Monday morning quarterback talking head. I was particularly fascinated by the description of IJN carrier deck operations, as well as damage control (or lack thereof).

Another series of (unrelated to Midway specifically) books worth reading are Hornfischer's series of books, as well as those by Ian Toll (especially Six Frigates).

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by LoadClear

Another series of (unrelated to Midway specifically) books worth reading are Hornfischer's series of books, as well as those by Ian Toll (especially Six Frigates).
I can vouch for both authors. I'm waiting for Toll's third and concluding book on the Pacific war. Hornfischer's Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors is also superb.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Jorge. Thanks for posting.

Been thinking of these brave airmen all day.

The Marines who flew off of Midway in their Navy hand me down Buffalo fighters, and were cut down in droves.

The men of the torpedo squadrons, VT8, VT6, and VT5 who flew their obsolete Devestators to slaughter.

Men like John Waldron, the commander of VT8 who took his squadron to where he knew the Japanese would be contrary to orders from the airgroup commander, telling him "to hell with you" over the radio. He found the Japanese and died for his effort, while the airgroup commander Stanhope Ring flew to an empty ocean.

Hard to think of people who embody the word DUTY to country more than those who served and so many who died on this date 77 years ago. Thank you for your sacrifice.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Great thread!!!

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by LoadClear
Very neat. If you want to read the BEST book on the battle, get "Shattered Sword"... paperback on Amazon. incredible read..

True statement.

I read Fuchida's account, and it read like a "I told you so!" Monday morning quarterback talking head. I was particularly fascinated by the description of IJN carrier deck operations, as well as damage control (or lack thereof).

I met Mitsuo Fuchida in the 1950's. Obviously a very interesting man and memorable for a kid.

Retired cat herder.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
As to the movie.

There is a Battle of Midway Roundtable,
www.midway42.org

an internet group that has been around for 22 years and includes all of the authors of the books mentioned, and participation with actual participants of the battle, including a few who are still with us.

The movie crew actively sought out experts from this forum to consult on aspects of the movie, and mock ups of the planes. The movie is due out in November 2019, for Veterans Day.

It will be a product of Hollywood, and a general production feature movie rather than a documentary, take it as such.

Fingers crossed that it will honor their memories true to form. At the very least, someone is remembering what they have done and expended the effort to obtain the resources to recognize their extroadary sacrifice and make a feature movie about them.

I know I will be shelling out the money to see it in the theater, and will try to overlook any warts that might be present, and hope that it will be enough of a hit that it will inspire a new generation to remember the Heroes Of Midway.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
77 years ago today, they ceased to exist... I asked about a dozen sailors, chiefs and officers here on base what was today and NOT ONE had a clue.....

You think that’s bad?

I was in a deli the other day and not a single kid knew who Shadrach, Meshach or Abendego were.

thrown in the fire but they never got burned!

...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
However, IIRC, we lost more folks on 9/11 -than at Pearl.
Many don't realize this. That's sad!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1minute, 1badf350, 160user, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1936M71, 58 invisible), 2,526 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,338
Posts18,487,696
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.