Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Man! Youse guys are a downer.

Schit....a plant that grows every year and makes us nice berries to eat.......gawd! Terrible!

I am MAGA.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheKid
A delicious, Tick, Chigger, and snake filled weed! I think blackberry brambles would grow on the moon. I’ve seen them survive fire, flood, freeze, and drought and keep on trucking. Most every old homestead around here has a bramble out behind the barn, some where a house hasn’t stood in 75 years.

I have a big patch in an abandoned railroad bed down south of town that I guess nobody else knows about. Can’t see it from the road and I’ve never seen another soul there, not so much as a tire track even. It’s probably 3 acres or so and we usually get a few gallons off of it. Another two weeks or so and they’ll be about ready, berries are huge this year with all the rain.

We make lots of jam and cobbler with them. I like to put sugar over a bowl full and leave them in the fridge overnight, the next day ladle the berries and syrup over some vanilla ice cream.

Interestingly, I've never encountered a snake in over 15 years. My nemesis is the yellow jacket nest lurking next to the Biggest Blackberry in the patch cry

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jim if you can get them to grow up there plant a variety called “Triple Crown”. Thornless and berries bigger than the end of your thumb. I got 6 starts from my grandpa and in 2 years I was picking a gallon a night for several weeks.

Blackberries grow the cane in year one. Produce the berries in year 2 and that cane is then dead. While it’s producing berries in year 2, new canes are being grown that will have berries the next year.

Pies, cobblers, or mushed up with a splash of sugar to use as an ice cream topper. Love blackberries. Also wild black raspberries. The best jelly in the world. Almost a toss up between the two.

My berries are just coming out of their bloom. Can’t wait.

Katy was my berry picking helper. She’d eat the ripe ones off the vine. Once in a while a “yip” indicated a thorn got her tongue. RIP.

Pictured are wild thorny ones. The tame ones I keep I drive t posts down a row and string wire between for them to climb on.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My boy inspecting one.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cheesy
My boy inspecting one.

[Linked Image]

That's great, passing on the tradition of picking blackberries smile

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it is wet the mosquitoes will carry you away or drain all your blood.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Ha! Thanks Cheesy!

I am MAGA.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
We have blackberries that grow on the edges of the yard and in every other random spot. Cant get rid of the damn things. Pull them up and they come up twice as much. But we will pick at least a couple bowl fulls to have with ice cream.

Must admit that while trout fishing a bush full of blackcaps by a hole in a trout stream makes for a great morning.

Last edited by cv540; 06/04/19.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Blackberry cobbler is excellent.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When i was a kid, they grew right next to our house. Everyone in the neighborhood picked off that tangle, and we all got as many as we needed or wanted. Man, the rabbits used to love to hunker in those patches. Dad would send the beagles in there, and we'd often have at least two rabbits come blasting out of there. We learned not to shoot them until they cleared the patch. The dogs would go in there to chase 'em, but had no interest in going back in there for a retrieve. Beagles are about as stubborn as they are dumb!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
They are a noxious weed here in southeastern Oz. They can become massive impassable thickets if let go.

They do make good cover for birds, and for rabbits, and tend to be good places to scout around when hunting. Foxes can be found around them too - they are there for the bunnies and birds, but they'll also happily scoff down the berries, as will pigs, who'll also root them up and take cover and shelter in them. Deer here will use them for cover and eat the leaves too - particularly browsing species like Sambar.

I don't mind a hatful of them in season either.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We hunted cotton tails the blackberry patches. It was a great place for the rabbits to hide.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We dont fool with blackberries that much, we usually pick the dew berries. This year, the dew berries didn't make very well. We had a late freeze and that might have been what caused it.

On a high note, a friend has some kind of dew berry that makes berries almost as big as your thumb. I dug up 4 plants Sat. and put them out on my place.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Banner year here for dewberries

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I grown tame blackberries, and we sell them. The grandkids help pick them, and we either sell to neighbors, or at the local produce auction. Last year, they sold about $500 worth. It was my intentions to plant another row this year, and I started the plants to do so, but have since just about changed my mind, as I don't know that I want to fool with them. Mine are about 2 weeks away from being ripe.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Blackberry mead....

I use 1 pound of berrys and 1 pound of honey per gallon.

Heat honey water to near boil use a boat motor mixer.

Let cool to under 145 degrees....so pectin in Berry doesn't set. Put previously frozen berries in the hot " over" 130 degree liquid.
I put the berries in a Muslim bag, by freezing them thejuice will leach out with out mixing.

Let cool to under 80 degrees....pitch yeast. My favorite is a Belgium ale/ lambic type yeast. Lot less floculent than English ale or champagne yeast.

Rack twice. I like to pastureize it I've it in a water bath of 140 degrees.

The longer it sits the better it gets if she don't mold or kamboocha out

Last edited by Angus1895; 06/06/19.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
It will be hucks for us, as usual. Last year was stellar.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Too early for blackberries here. Just starting to bloom. My bees are liking them though.

Carpe' Scrotum
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Wife, mom, sis, and wifes sis' are, and muscadines too, there will be plenty more blackberry and muscadine wine to drink this fall and winter, and maybe a little homemade jam from both too. cool

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Be a while for blackberries here. The mulberry trees in the yard are ramping up, though...…….week or two.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

271 members (163bc, 01Foreman400, 222Sako, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 270wsmnutt, 26 invisible), 14,172 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,109
Posts18,541,996
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.