Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Considering replacing a stock on a bolt gun, do you favor one over the other? Anybody have both? Thanks for any input.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
McMillan offers a lot more options than H-S.

I have a lot of McMillan stocks, I particularly like the Hunter and Mountain Rifle styles, and maybe 5 H-S stocks that came on rifles that I bought and are good enough for the little that I use them.

Since stocks are the interface between the shooter and the rifle, they are a very individual thing, in that what one guy thinks is great can easily be an epic fail for another guy.

What make, model, style, and action length of rifle are you looking to restock?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have a bunch of McMillans. It’s the only stock I’ll really go for since they can inlet just about any of their styles to the rifles I use and they will put whatever pad I want on the gun along with EDGE fills for the lightweight set ups. Never an issue and they’ve been great to work with.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
A ruger, maybe 2, a 358 that shoots so well I hesitate to change it and a 338 RCM that I may do first. Both have the plain ruger synthetic stocks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Since HS hired Lon Horiuchi the FBI sniper who killed unarmed Vicki Weaver who was holding her child at the time of the shooting at Ruby Ridge in 1992, I haven't purchased their products, or items using their products.

I'm old fashioned that way.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Since HS hired Lon Horiuchi the FBI sniper who killed unarmed Vicki Weaver who was holding her child at the time of the shooting at Ruby Ridge in 1992, I haven't purchased their products, or items using their products.

I read a lot of people who go along with this nonsense. Guess what, I have German scopes even though they were not so nice in the 1940's. Lots of my neighbors drive Toyotas even though Japan bombed American soil. Get over it. HS Stocks and rifles are fine. Anti gunners would love for us to eat our own and create divisions in the sport.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dogslife57
A ruger, maybe 2, a 358 that shoots so well I hesitate to change it and a 338 RCM that I may do first. Both have the plain ruger synthetic stocks.

I have a 3 rifle set of stainless Ruger Hawkeyes in 223, 6.5 Creedmoor, and 338 FED that I bedded in the McMillan Hunter style stocks so that they are as alike as I can make them. The McM stocks made good rifles better by improving the feel and balance.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Yes I heard the McM is quite an improved feel compared to the ruger original ones. Good to know.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've had both, no complaints with either. I think McMillan's are overpriced though. Either will last 2 lifetimes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Horseman

I read a lot of people who go along with this nonsense. Guess what, I have German scopes even though they were not so nice in the 1940's. Lots of my neighbors drive Toyotas even though Japan bombed American soil. Get over it. HS Stocks and rifles are fine. Anti gunners would love for us to eat our own and create divisions in the sport.

Think what you like. I think a company that hired someone who shot a woman holding her child, when the woman was no threat, doesn't share my values.

It wasn't combat, it wasn't the heat of the moment, it wasn't snap judgement under threat of return fire.

It was wrong.

What this has to do with "Anti gunners (who) would love for us to eat our own and create divisions in the sport." I haven't a clue.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I've owned more McMillan's than HS's. As I am thinning the herd, I'm zeroing in on one McM, one HS, and one Pacific Research Rimrock.

For me, if the rifle is a heavier caliber, or kicker (like the .338), I tend toward the HS for the weight to mitigate recoil. For 270's and down, I like the ergos and reduced weight of the McEdge Hunter... Regardless of HS or McM, I generally pay the upcharge for a LimbSaver recoil pad... Except when I want a Red Decelerator !

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Think what you like. I think a company that hired someone who shot a woman holding her child, when the woman was no threat, doesn't share my values.

It wasn't combat, it wasn't the heat of the moment, it wasn't snap judgement under threat of return fire.

It was wrong.

What this has to do with "Anti gunners (who) would love for us to eat our own and create divisions in the sport." I haven't a clue.

It was a big "suck up" to get govt contracts. Money over principle.

I have an HS SPL .240, but traded for it used. The OEM HS stock was an ugly club and weighed 42 oz. The Hunters Edge that replaced it is sleek and weighs 26 oz. No comparison.

DF

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

No real comparison in those two. Go McMillan.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
McMillian for me.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
H and S stocks suck. If budget is an issue go with a B and C. If not McMillan are great.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

It was wrong.

My point about eating our own was meaning it's an American gun company and I'd rather not see any more of them struggling. Yes the Horiuchi thing was stupid of them but it's not worth writing off the whole company years later in my opinion. Obviously you're free to keep condemning them for a foolish marketing decision if that's your thing.

McMillan>HS>B&C

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Will go McMillian sometime before hunting season here.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Mcmillan offers more stock styles then anyone especially HS. That is their strength , that said they are not the ultimate rifle stock.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

It was wrong.

My point about eating our own was meaning it's an American gun company and I'd rather not see any more of them struggling. Yes the Horiuchi thing was stupid of them but it's not worth writing off the whole company years later in my opinion. Obviously you're free to keep condemning them for a foolish marketing decision if that's your thing.

McMillan>HS>B&C

I for one hold companies responsible for their marketing decisions. What Horiuchi did was nothing short of murder under cover of authority. HS chose money over righteousness and honor. In my book they deserve to be shunned.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Dogslife57
Will go McMillian sometime before hunting season here.

You better order soon, if you want it for this year's hunting season. Depending on style, it could be several months wait to get one. I waited 9 months for my last one.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (Anaconda, 35, 33sixSS, 907brass, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,438 guests, and 907 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,413
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.