Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
COSteve Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Title says it all. I started my update at about 7:30 am this morning and after a long 'getting ready' phase, and a long downloading phase, the update took hours. Multiple restarts and then when it thought it was completed, it turns out that if you search for updates again, it will throw 3 more at you.

Firefox and Dell both updated as well. All in all, it takes a number of hours to go through the whole thing including linking your Microsoft account with your pin number again so you can access your computer.

No idea yet if 1903 is a better version of Windows 10 or not yet, however, I do see that Firefox loads and opens faster as do the links to sites like this one. Time will tell.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I pretty much ignore Windows updates but I'm using Windows 7. If they haven't gotten that right by now... Same with Dell on this old machine. The drivers work and work well, why mess with it? Dell wanted to upload a BIOS upgrade and a bunch of new drivers. Figured what the hell, don't need the machine for a while. A couple hours later all done, and there was absolutely no change in how the machine runs.

Way back when writing BIOS and drivers was more an art doing updates was vitally important. Now it's a science and most updates seem to be tweaks the user may not even notice.

Security updates are different. Do those as new vulnerability get discovered.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
MSoft usually loads its big updates during the night of the first Tuesday in the month, so that would be last night. I bet 1903 is just waiting for me to reboot to install. I may wait to do that until I have some time to waste.

I think I'll set a Restore Point first -- just in case.

Edit: Set a new Restore Point, but it appears that the update installed at 2 a.m. I can't find where it lists which updates have been done, however. Everything runs perfectly.

Last edited by RockyRaab; 06/05/19.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It’s a total OS upgrade. 4 gig compressed.

Windows 10 May 2019 Update, version 1903 — codenamed 19H1 — is the seventh major refresh of the OS (after its original release), and it’s the first semi-annual update of 2019. This new update delivers a new set of features and enhancements to improve performance, security, and it’ll help users be more productive.

Swifty
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Just another reason I went Mac.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Apple doesn't do updates? eek

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't do windows anymore, I got tired of being held hostage to Microsoft.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by nighthawk
I pretty much ignore Windows updates but I'm using Windows 7. If they haven't gotten that right by now... Same with Dell on this old machine. The drivers work and work well, why mess with it? Dell wanted to upload a BIOS upgrade and a bunch of new drivers. Figured what the hell, don't need the machine for a while. A couple hours later all done, and there was absolutely no change in how the machine runs.

I got a notification that Windows 7 will no longer be supported after min January 2020.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 12344mag

So who is holding you hostage now? wink

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CraigD
I got a notification that Windows 7 will no longer be supported after min January 2020.

I went through that dance with Windows XP, even intalled Linux dual boot just in case. Never had a problem. Eventually that machine had a hardware problem and the cheapest fix was this refurb with Windows 7 Pro. Will probably follow the same path again or just go totally Linux.

BTW, I read where you can still upgrade from 7 to 10 for free, maybe with strings attached. Dunno if it's true. And if your machine is hardware capable. Might be worth a Google if you're interested.

Last edited by nighthawk; 06/05/19.

Which explains a lot.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 12344mag

So who is holding you hostage now? wink

No one, Canonical tries to please it's users not Bill Gates or Microsoft Stock holders and they don't try to invade your privacy as Microsoft does.

Give Ubuntu a shot, it has a little bit of a learning curve but it's doable.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Just another reason I went Mac.

Yep, never looked back after the ridiculous Windows 'Vista' fiasco.
Life has been good for almost ten years now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Went with Mint MATE on the XP machine. Based on Debian and Ubuntu but I forget exactly how that work out. Almost intuitive after traveling from DOS to XP. Linux has its issues but the user has control at least if he wants to get into the weeds on configuring the system. I don't want to which was nice about Mint. Was easier than installing Windows.

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use ver 1905 window 10 no problems.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I nearly gave up on Windows with Win 8, then Win 10 came along and that was the end of it, no more patience, switched to Linux and haven't looked back since, no more Microsoft Windows for me.

Last edited by DBT; 06/06/19.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm getting sick of windows. Recently got a W10 box at work and that came with Office 2016. Suddenly shared spreadsheets got renamed to filename (Autosaved) do to a global setting. I had a shortcut pointing to the file's original name, since the file wasn't there, windows went into a back up subdirectory and found a filename that matched. That was a 5 year old file. I didn't ask it to look somewhere else, it should have said sorry boss, no can find.

Microsoft is not better at doing my thinking than I am.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Screw Microsoft!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Crap, with our slow-a$$ innanet, that'll take weeks.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
What is this windows everyone talks about?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Apple doesn't do updates? eek

They do just as many as Windows but with it's much tighter OS I've never seen one take more than 30 minutes, even a complete upgrade to a new OS (which comes with Mac, you don't need to buy it). (Mac fanboy since 1986) grin

I also have Fedora box in the workshop and it's updates are all under 30 minutes but they are there every week.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (219 Wasp, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 270cowboy, 160user, 257_X_50, 69 invisible), 2,343 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,409
Posts18,507,028
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.