Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
Originally Posted by gunner500
NICE! Congrats, I have a 1969 year model BAR 338, it loves 250gr partitions over imr-4350 for an easy 2700 fps, mine wears an old gloss Burris 1-3/4-5 in Conetrol rings and bases, plenty of accuracy and glass for 300+ yard hunting of medium sized game, I'd go 400 for Elk.

Sounds like a really nice rig. I am thinking something like a 1.5-5 or 2-7 for mine.

Thanks, I like the old rifle, it's a Grade II with some engraving on the receiver sides, I can hear/feel it working while firing it, just like an A-5 shotgun, I appreciate the hell out of the knowledge those designers had, I'd really like to find a cherry gloss finish Leupold 2-7 to put on it.

Trump Won!
HR IC

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
NICE! Congrats, I have a 1969 year model BAR 338, it loves 250gr partitions over imr-4350 for an easy 2700 fps, mine wears an old gloss Burris 1-3/4-5 in Conetrol rings and bases, plenty of accuracy and glass for 300+ yard hunting of medium sized game, I'd go 400 for Elk.

Sounds like a really nice rig. I am thinking something like a 1.5-5 or 2-7 for mine.

Thanks, I like the old rifle, it's a Grade II with some engraving on the receiver sides, I can hear/feel it working while firing it, just like an A-5 shotgun, I appreciate the hell out of the knowledge those designers had, I'd really like to find a cherry gloss finish Leupold 2-7 to put on it.

A nice gloss scope is about as rare as an honest politician any more.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
That's FUNNY, but sadly true. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Way too true. You'd think a gloss scope would at least be a special order item with a few companies.

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I have one. I found some 225 grain SST’s in Superformance that was on sale. I have about a case of it. I didn’t think the recoil was too bad. I get about 1.25-1.5” groups with mine. I want to use it a few times this year. My only worries is dropping the bolt right at legal shooting time when loading. Played with slowly letting it down but didn’t get good strikes on the primer. So it seems like a must to let the bolt fly. Maybe I will tuck it close to me to try and muffle it?

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Originally Posted by Chrisk1977
I have one. I found some 225 grain SST’s in Superformance that was on sale. I have about a case of it. I didn’t think the recoil was too bad. I get about 1.25-1.5” groups with mine. I want to use it a few times this year. My only worries is dropping the bolt right at legal shooting time when loading. Played with slowly letting it down but didn’t get good strikes on the primer. So it seems like a must to let the bolt fly. Maybe I will tuck it close to me to try and muffle it?

HUH, that’s what safeties and proper gun handling skills are for. That’s like carrying a empty chamber on a SD pistol. IMO.

BMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With my 30-06 BARs I've always just ridden the bolt when chambering a round before legal shooting time to avoid the noise of letting it fly. In my experience, as long as you push the bolt handle as far as it will go into the recess, the bolt will be in battery and the rifle will fire.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by viking
Originally Posted by Chrisk1977

HUH, that’s what safeties and proper gun handling skills are for. That’s like carrying a empty chamber on a SD pistol. IMO.

You must not know what I was saying? Weapons are not allowed to be chambered before legal shooting hours. The safety is always on until I am ready to fire.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by BMR
With my 30-06 BARs I've always just ridden the bolt when chambering a round before legal shooting time to avoid the noise of letting it fly. In my experience, as long as you push the bolt handle as far as it will go into the recess, the bolt will be in battery and the rifle will fire.

Maybe I was going to slow and not pushing it forward. I will try this on my days off.thanks

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Way too true. You'd think a gloss scope would at least be a special order item with a few companies.

You bet HBB, and they'd sell them too, people are tiring of all that mall ninja tactical BS!

Trump Won!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

You bet HBB, and they'd sell them too, people are tiring of all that mall ninja tactical BS!

AMEN! About all you see at the larger gun counters around here are young, fat dudes in "Tacticool" dress with limited trigger time extolling the virtues of Tactical scopes and either the 6.5 Creedmoor or AR -15 as the only way to fly in the shooting world.

Thankfully, there are a couple of small shops nearby that are still real gunshops with a variety of of stuff to peruse and all us old dinosaurs go to hangout.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
wink

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Several of the guys I hunt bear with use the Stalker version. The barrels have been cut to 20” and we use iron sights. Many eastern bc black bear have fallen to those 338 bars.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JSmith62198
Several of the guys I hunt bear with use the Stalker version. The barrels have been cut to 20” and we use iron sights. Many eastern bc black bear have fallen to those 338 bars.

That sounds like a real bear killing setup

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1234, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 160user, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 72 invisible), 2,143 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,784
Posts18,495,971
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.