-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Speed and plump targets are dangerous combinations.

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Years ago when I was in the Marine Corps flying the F/A-18 I was running a VR route (low level route) at 500' AGL over coastal North Carolina and was doing 610 knots indicated airspeed. I had a turkey buzzard pop into view like the one in the video except much quicker since I was doing almost 3X the speed. What saved me was it hit the bow wave off of the radome which pushed it away and it went down the left side of my canopy about 2' away. I slowed down.

I have a friend that hit a turkey buzzard doing about 400 knots in an F-4. The surgeons picked feathers and bones out of his shoulder for the next two months.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pheasant 2.5 pounds at 55 MPH = 253 foot pounds
Turkey vulture 3.5 pounds at 300 MPH = 10,530 foot pounds

Uffda!

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Barkoff
I think that jet hit the vulture from the rear, vulture had the right-a-way.

I think the bird was hit from the rear too...

Say, do you know the last thing to go through that bird's mind?

Its a$$hole.

John

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So from the bird's point of view it took 21,557,000 foot pounds up the wazoo. shocked

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Turkey tried to fly, I tried to stop. Hit my 2001 Saturn in the fender, shattered it. I was down to 30+ mph at impact. Solid bird.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
That was the impetus to refit all T-37s with polycarbonate windscreens - the fatal one was plexiglass.

We had a solid piece of polycarbonate bulletproof glass in front of each of us (Pilot and NFO) in the Prowler and every bird strike we had that penetrated the cockpit came through the thin side window on the forward canopy. Weird, just the airflow moved them that way.

I hit a turkey buzzard on a low-level at 420 KTS at 200' AGL and like the Phantoms old engines, the J-52P408A motor we had just shrugged it off with a few bent compressor blades. No engine indications at all. We climbed and brought it to idle but didn't shut it down and took it back to NAS Oceana where we were on a det. No idea until the ADs dove the duct afterwards we had trashed the motor. Gotta love turbojets. grin

[Linked Image]

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I was lucky in the Viking with that huge windscreen. Had several bird strikes in my career, all during low level flights ~ 360KTS. One small bird hit the leading edge of the wing and severely dented it. Amazing. we did have one hit the base to the tail where the ECS turbine inlet is, thrashed it...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hit one at 60 mph and it shattered my windshield.
At 300 it could get ugly.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We hit a stork or some similar large bird at first light on our way back from a night patrol just North of Qui Nhon along the S. Vietnam coast.

Big thump on the port wing leading edge even at a modest 180 cruise but fast enough to destroy the deicing boot and make a mess.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A moment of minor excitement during a cross country ramble. Turkeys in Iowa aren't terribly bright? 55 mph on a 2 lane black top. $1800 for repairs....

[Linked Image]

Contrary to urban legend the kung-fu kick will not stop a p'up.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

O
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by horse1
I see the bird ~2.5sec before he hits it, but, I know its coming and I'm looking for it.

To the pilots, is that something he could/should have been able to avoid?

Possibly but not likely. Happens too fast and they're already quite busy - even it it's scanning the sky, they could be scanning a different part of it.

Like motorcycles or anything on two wheels? Please check out my YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMaLdyriBKNsUtpgNh1-g6w
Thanks and hope you subscribe!
O
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
A moment of minor excitement during a cross country ramble. Turkeys in Iowa aren't terribly bright? 55 mph on a 2 lane black top. $1800 for repairs....

[Linked Image]

Contrary to urban legend the kung-fu kick will not stop a p'up.

Awesome photo!

Why get the truck repaired?

Let the coyotes chew the turkey off, spend $1,800 on beer.

Like motorcycles or anything on two wheels? Please check out my YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMaLdyriBKNsUtpgNh1-g6w
O
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
That was the impetus to refit all T-37s with polycarbonate windscreens - the fatal one was plexiglass.

We had a solid piece of polycarbonate bulletproof glass in front of each of us (Pilot and NFO) in the Prowler and every bird strike we had that penetrated the cockpit came through the thin side window on the forward canopy. Weird, just the airflow moved them that way.

I hit a turkey buzzard on a low-level at 420 KTS at 200' AGL and like the Phantoms old engines, the J-52P408A motor we had just shrugged it off with a few bent compressor blades. No engine indications at all. We climbed and brought it to idle but didn't shut it down and took it back to NAS Oceana where we were on a det. No idea until the ADs dove the duct afterwards we had trashed the motor. Gotta love turbojets. grin

[Linked Image]

Is that a shot out of a A6-B cockpit?

O
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by Salmonella
I hit one at 60 mph and it shattered my windshield.
At 300 it could get ugly.

I ride by a lot of vultures feeding on the roadside almost every time I take my Vulcan S (motorcycle) out.

This is exactly what I fear.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

652 members (160user, 1badf350, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,783 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,224
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.