-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And most of this stuff had a lot of parts made on W&S turret lathes.

Wonderful stuff doesn’t help if you can’t make it.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[u][/u]
Originally Posted by Greyghost
The biggest single success of WW2 was bringing every aspect of mass production to a fine edge as never seen before. The concept of the assembly line, even the moving assembly line to improve construction or production was thousands of years old, Not a Henry Ford invention like usually thought. But never before used in such wide aspects as during WW2.

Phil

I’ve read that the Germans during WWII were generally not so enamored of our “soldering” or our tactics, but that we could continually resupply, even bringing our soldiers their mail, when their men, on their own continent couldn’t get even the basics at times.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bristoe
My take away from the first half of the 20th century is,...during that period Caucasians spent a lot of time and energy killing each other off.

If anybody won, it was Mao.

It was the century of blood, resulting in more war-dead and victims of genocide than all other centuries combined. It was proof-positive that while man can exponentially improve technologically, he is constrained by his nature from any utopian dreams. The 20th century was big blow to intellectually honest secularists and their dreams of perfect societies.

Apparently, intellectually honesty is rare among the Left today with their dreams of peaceful globalism. Or, as CS Lewis has claimed, they are guilty of “chronological arrogance,” the belief of each latest generation that, after all, they are the smartest of all their predecessors and can “do it” better..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The invention that won WW2 was the Russian Communist.

Without the Russians and the Eastern Front combined with Hitler’s deluded, mistaken tactics there, it’s arguable that we would have lost.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Oak ridge national labs?! My paternal grandfathers oldest brother was nuclear physicist who assisted in drafting the plans for the atomic bomb at oak ridge national lab in some fashion( I was a kid when he told me the story). Said they had people going 24/7 and were told it meant winning or losing the war. He said he went to the White House twice to discuss plans with a group of engineers, and the president was in those meetings.

My grandfather has always said my great uncle may have never served actively in the war despite being active duty Air Force, but played a pivotal role in winning. He was such a wonderful person too. He passed away about 7 years ago.

Maternal grandfather had two older brothers who served and where both wounded in WW2. Jimmy was shot while trying to drag his younger brother Adrian back to safety after being wounded. France I believe it was. With only 13 months between them jimmy and Adrian were as close as twins. Jimmy once said taking a bullet for his brother was the easiest thing he ever did. Said didn’t even occur to him he could die, only that his brother needed him and he was going to get him no matter what. I always admired them. Humble hard working men

Jimmy taught me to fly fish as a child, Adrian taught me to squirrel hunt. Miss them both. They both met my first son before they died. My sons middle name is Hutson, which was jimmys middle name also. My next son, if I have one will be named Adrian

I feel American grit and determination won the war, but I’m no war historian. Too bad those days are gone. Too many puzzies.

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Fat man[Linked Image]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My take away from the first half of the 20th century is,...during that period Caucasians spent a lot of time and energy killing each other off.

If anybody won, it was Mao.

Asians spent a lot of effort killing each other too.

Carpe' Scrotum
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (222Sako, 1lessdog, 257wthbylover, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 1,742 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,118
Posts18,522,864
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.