Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dodgefan
Originally Posted by kenjs1

Two second google of Laura Yeager Combat experience yielded : "Yeager has been in the military since 1986 and has an impressive list of accomplishments. She flew UH-60 Black Hawk helicopters in combat in Iraq, and she commanded California National Guard’s 40th Combat Aviation Brigade, according to the Defense Department news service. She was promoted from Colonel to Brigadier General in 2016."

Yeah....real loser......

Maybe you can read this when you come back from space station.

There is flying choppers in combat and then there is flying choppers in combat. Picking up a casualty while under fire is something different from picking up a casualty after the area has been cold for a 1/2 hour or acting as a flying taxi cab for VIP's.

Renegade50 is right if you haven't seen it in person it's hard to describe how messed up the Army award system is. In the Army basically the higher your rank the higher the award you will receive. IE PFC Joe Blow gets a good job from his Bn Commander, SSG Schmuckitelli gets an Army Achievement Medal and CPT Pussnuts gets a Meritorious Service Medal. Even if they all did the same thing to deserve being recognized. Awards for leaving a duty station are common.

The Marines are/were better about this. If a Marine received an award they pretty much deserved it IMO.

Another thing thing is the further away from the pointy end you were the worse the awards inflation was. Prior to 9/11 I was in a Cav unit and the SOP was that every big field problem resulted in 2 enlisted receiving awards, which were usually AAM or ARCOMS. There was a write up about the Post CSM's secretary in the post newspaper one day and she had something like 2 1/2 years service with 4 or 5 each AAM and ARCOMS. You see enough of that stuff and you get kind of jaded.

Thanks for the discourse and explanation- appreciate the value in what you say. From what I read of this gal she is highly thought of and may be deserving of at least a chance. I am no champion of promotion via SJW or role filling because we need a ...fill in the blank (Female, black, gay ....) totally advocate merit based society, so I don't think she should be disqualified simply because she is female as some indicate. She seems to have served quite admirably in my book but you are more on the know on that subject. I appreciate your service and would like your further thoughts.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Now cmon....it wouldn't be right after eating that baked crow casserole if you didn't at least also thank renegade50 for his service in the Intergalactic Space Command.

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow.

These are usually reserved for folks in that MOS. Being a helo driver doesn’t make you an infantryman. Infantry is a TOTALLY different ball game. It can be really ugly and mean. You need to ready to be really ugly and mean as well.

God I hope she listens to her staff.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slumlord
Now cmon....it wouldn't be right after eating that baked crow casserole if you didn't at least also thank renegade50 for his service in the Intergalactic Space Command.

ha ha- right? Seriously, I do thank Renegade for his service- if not his ranting.

I am not eating crow at all. Just willing to listen rather than just spout and pout. I can be convinced she isn't deserving by someone with more knowledge willing to discuss and tell me why. I won't pretend to know more than I do and am not so much an advocating FOR her as I am AGAINST dismissing her out of hand. I just saw see no reason not to give her a shot (after her good service, and reading reports from those who served under her) even if she is a woman. Least she was born one- right?

I do understand some of the misgivings of Ras in the post above and others.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
To be honest I don't believe women should be in the military like it is. I think they should be in their own branch like it used to be.

Most people that have served will dismiss her out of hand because they've seen how women are handled by the military. I don't dismiss her out of hand because she's a woman. I dismiss her because she isn't from a Combat Arms Branch. To make good use of the tools in your toolbox you have to understand the tools and their capabilities.

I really don't think a pilot male or female should be in charge of infantry. If they listen to their staff they might do okay assuming the staff is squared away and not a bunch of yes men.
Realistically the CG has very little effect on the day to day operations at company level.

She is the daughter of a Major General and IMO nepotism is a problem in the Army at least. Who you know is important, make the wrong person upset and next thing you know you are a military attache in Bangladesh or something.

It's harder for someone who hasn't served to judge because they don't know how things work. I'm not impressed with a huge rack of ribbons, because I know how often those things are handed out like candy at Halloween. Headquarters and Support units are really bad for this.

I wasn't infantry, but worked with a large number of former infantry guys (probably 50-60 percent of the guys I worked with the last 13 years) and infantry is different to put it mildly.

In all I think this was more about putting a woman in charge of an Infantry Division then it was putting the most qualified in charge of an Infantry Division.

IC B2

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 117LBS, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 2,669 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,739
Posts18,495,048
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.