-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 21 of 21 1 2 19 20 21
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"If you like your emporer, you can keep your emporer". Old Doug knew how to turn a phrase.

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Terryk
Originally Posted by deflave
The reasoning behind the atom bomb drops was multi-faceted.

It would be next to impossible to have convinced anyone to NOT drop those bombs.

I guess the numbers go like this. 2 bombs killed about 200,000 japs. Another estimate it would have taken about 200,000 US lives to defeat the japs.
US did lose 400,000 in WW2, so another 200,000 is a significant number. Of course additional wounded and associated price. And of course the logistic cost of ordinance.
And important at that point in time, the US citizen was not interested in the nobility of war, the reality set in. So President Truman had zero options just based on those facts.

Plus everyone wanted to see what it would do.

Plus we wanted the world to know we had it.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Starman

then the views of Admiral W. Leahy;

"It is my opinion that the use of this barbarous weapon at Hiroshima and Nagasaki was of no material assistance in our war against Japan.
The Japanese were already defeated and ready to surrender because of the effective sea blockade and the successful bombing with conventional weapons."
(William D. Leahy, I Was There, pg. 441).

It was the opinion of one of my college history professors (advanced US History) that the real reason for dropping the A Bombs on Japan was to show the Soviet Union that we actually had such a weapon.

That was definitively a factor. Bit the over-riding reason was the huge cost in American lives to take that place, especially after our experiences in Iwo Jima and Okinawa

Just imagine Preident Truman saying, "Well, I decided not to drop the bombs on the cities. I decided to invade Japan instead, even though our military was estimating the invasion would result in 750,000 casualties among our troops."

I would not wanted to be one of President Truman's lawyers at his impeachment trial.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Starman

then the views of Admiral W. Leahy;

"It is my opinion that the use of this barbarous weapon at Hiroshima and Nagasaki was of no material assistance in our war against Japan.
The Japanese were already defeated and ready to surrender because of the effective sea blockade and the successful bombing with conventional weapons."
(William D. Leahy, I Was There, pg. 441).

It was the opinion of one of my college history professors (advanced US History) that the real reason for dropping the A Bombs on Japan was to show the Soviet Union that we actually had such a weapon.

That was definitively a factor. Bit the over-riding reason was the huge cost in American lives to take that place, especially after our experiences in Iwo Jima and Okinawa

Just imagine Preident Truman saying, "Well, I decided not to drop the bombs on the cities. I decided to invade Japan instead, even though our military was estimating the invasion would result in 750,000 casualties among our troops."

I would not wanted to be one of President Truman's lawyers at his impeachment trial.

Imagine him saying neither thing and saying instead, “We will blockade Japan until her people die of starvation or demand her government surrender.”

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by JoeBob
JoeBob, I agree that “it wasn’t many” that were gassed, hung, shot or otherwise murdered at Dachau, it wasn’t the type of camp that Treblinka was but it is a good and living representation of the atrocities that happened albeit on a much smaller and more “civilized” scale. 😉

I can tell you that being there was an extraordinarily moving experience for me and I don’t have any personal affection for Jews, gypsies or homosexuals.. My affections are for humanity and to that extent I’m not ashamed to admit that I cried. No innocent person of any religion or persuasion should suffer the kind inhumanity that those camps brought down upon them.

Oftentimes when discussing this atrocity we focus on those that died there and forget about those that survived. Those that were raped, starved and tortured or those that survived the horrors of their experiments are considered “lucky”. The pain that the living and dead suffered is beyond my comprehension as is my ability to understand how one human being can to do such grotesque things to another human being. God forbid you were a child with a twin brother or sister, your short life would likely end slowly and painfully.

I’ve been there. It’s a few miles from Munich.

Did it not move you? What emotions, if any, did you feel?

It’s a fair question and based upon your posts on this thread I think we all know what your answer would be but it’s only fair to give you the opportunity to answer it for yourself.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Of course, I wasn’t moved. I’m a schitty person. Happy now?

Page 21 of 21 1 2 19 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (35, 300_savage, 10gaugemag, anothergun, 44automag, 8 invisible), 792 guests, and 778 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,387
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.