-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Local archery shop where my step grand daughter shoots in a league has a sign by the coffee maker that reads;..... " COFFEE....... It's break fluid".

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Far and fire?

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 5sdad

You are to be commended for knowing that "a" and "lot" are two separate words (as are "all" and "right").

Alright, take it easy! laugh

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I used to have long but polite discussions with the late Ken Howell. Ken was a world-class editor and grammarian, but he always insisted that my use of "alright" was wrong, because it is a non-word, in his opinion.

I contended - and still do - that alright is as valid a word as already. There are times when all ready is correct, but others when already is proper. And, so I argued, the same is true of all right and alright. The pairs have different meanings and connotations and deserve to be recognized as distinct and correct words.

BTW, I learned another word today: petrichor. It means the earthy smell that occurs when rain falls on dry ground - a very apt word this time of year.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I used to have long but polite discussions with the late Ken Howell. Ken was a world-class editor and grammarian, but he always insisted that my use of "alright" was wrong, because it is a non-word, in his opinion.

I contended - and still do - that alright is as valid a word as already. There are times when all ready is correct, but others when already is proper. And, so I argued, the same is true of all right and alright. The pairs have different meanings and connotations and deserve to be recognized as distinct and correct words.

BTW, I learned another word today: petrichor. It means the earthy smell that occurs when rain falls on dry ground - a very apt word this time of year.

I concur.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Irregardless.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Aisle cue won up four yew. Arr guise aloud two chute ate aeros at a thyme in too the heir with there beau ore wood eye get sighted fore braking sum rool? Hew nose?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Advise and advice are 2 that I see misused often.

I see the word abortion used quite often when they mean abomination.

Last edited by JMR40; 06/14/19.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
walla for voila

prolly for probably

boocoo for beaucoup

fewer, less

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Another mistake that no shooter should ever make is calling a 3-9X40 scope a 3X9X40 scope. There is a huge difference between the meaning when a "-" is used instead of an "X" between the numbers.

And when shortening numbers such as 2019 to '19 some people put the apostrophe in the wrong place and write it as 19'.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gimmie anotha Clip for this here Remington

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Muzzle break:

Attached Images
muzzlebreak.jpg (51.54 KB, 11 downloads)
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Bride walked down the isle? Clip, magazine, bullet, shell, cartridge. Sometimes just amusing or irritating but at others it makes communication hard. Had a workmate looking for a nut, I couldn't figure what he was missing until he happened on a capscrew I never figured out when capscrew grew up and became bolts
Spell correct really can change some every day word into something bazaar

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
In pronunciation, have you ever noticed how many "educated" people say "ek-cetera" instead of "et-cetera," and "nook-u-ler" instead of nu-clear?" It's a wonderment. wink

L.W.

Actually, not in my circles. However, I run with many other dentists, MDs, lawyers (we make fun of them too) engineers and various CEOs. Kind of a select group who all had advanced English composition and beaucoup physics for the most part.

Then there always is the grad students from Hong Kong or Jordan that taught us that we never could understand......

Guys- that's why after 6 quarters of physics I can't make a "bomb" from scratch!

I do know it only takes about 32 lbs of enriched U235 to phouc somebody up.. I understand the gun and slug that made "Little Boy" zap Hiroshima.

I get Teller's equation that turned into the H-Bomb. (Which means I don't understand our resident trolls, but that's another thing entirely.)

In 1943, I'd be "classified. Now I'm only a dentist.

Times change.

wink

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pisses me off when I type the word correctly but the autocorrect misspells it or types in the wrong word.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The one that always gave me trouble in school was "bear or bare". not the obvious, rather..bare with me, or can't bear it anymore, can't bare to look?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I always ask black guys I know, when did you all start, and why did you start with axsed for ask?

They say it's been that way their whole life, but I didn't start hearing it until about 25 years ago.

The newest slang's,

"hella" for hell of a lot of
"dope" now means real nice

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Brake... break... they both come from the same word, breken .

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Those, too.

But we're wasting our time. The ones who misuse all those words think it doesn't matter, and that we're being grammar nazis because we believe that how you use language reflects upon your intelligence.

Hey Rocky: Firefox is telling me that Nazis should be capitalized XD

But off the pedantic pedestal.

In some ways I have to agree with those that are of the opinion that misusing break for brake, you're for your, they're for there etc... is not a true reflection of an individual's intelligence. I certainly know that when I'm typing away at a fast clip, I'll use it's instead of its (and other mistakes). It's in the proofreading that these mistakes are caught. In fact, just a few days ago, I used siting instead of sighting. The error was caught after posting, and was later edited.

Yet there is certainly merit to the thought that misusing sight instead of cite or site is indeed a measure of ones intelligence. It is unlikely that an American would be able to graduate from high school without having been taught correct usage. I know that my sons (just out of 6th and 4th grades) are continually being exposed to homonyms. Perhaps the inability to memorize usage is a reflection of intelligence? Though vocabulary usage is certainly is not part of any standardized IQ test.

Regards,
Scott

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (3dtestify, 7887mm08, 358wsm, 280Ackleyrized, 338Rules, 35, 9 invisible), 1,011 guests, and 884 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,129
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.