Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Ruger and MPI ultralight stock.

Kimber has serious quality control issues, hence the term Kimber lottery.

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Dakotakid,
I too have owned a Ruger Alaskan. The hogue stock was a clumsy abomination. The new guide gun, that stock is also a disgusting abomination.

I've also had problems with the quality of Hornady brass and bullets.

I ended keeping my CZ 9.3x62 Mauser and sold the 375 Ruger. It was lighter, equally effective, and was equipped with a good Bell and Carlson stock.

I do like the Ruger 77 and the CZ 550's the most. With the dovetail receivers and nice open sights, they are serious rifles made better with Alaska arms LLC quick detachable rings.

For your requirements, lighter is better. Don't forget, the 9.3x62 was the original Mauser dangerous game rifle. The 375 h&h though more popular, was a heavier, clumsier British rip-off put together for wealthy people.

MANY alaskans and yukoners have made the switch from the 375 magnum to the ole 9.3. Up goes the round count, down goes the weight.

The CZ 550 standard is no longer offered. Ruger has offered a limited run of a 7.3 lb Ruger African in 9.3x62. It's a desirable stock that is easier to sell, should you be allergic to good walnut, to fund a good sythetic stock. If I were you, that'd be my top choice, as a new guide building your career.

I've had no problem with 400 yd and 500 yd shots with the ole 9.3 using 300 grain A-frame/lapua brass handloads. Other more experienced hunters on here like yukoner Ted and Vernak haven't had problems with the long shot either.

I have easily modified the overly chunky Ruger magazine follower to make the rifle a 5-down gun:

http://lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=RUHM77RSB9.3X62

Thanks for a serious reply. For some reason my threads attract bigshict and they always get out of hand.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by dakotakidd
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Dakotakid,
I too have owned a Ruger Alaskan. The hogue stock was a clumsy abomination. The new guide gun, that stock is also a disgusting abomination.

I've also had problems with the quality of Hornady brass and bullets.

I ended keeping my CZ 9.3x62 Mauser and sold the 375 Ruger. It was lighter, equally effective, and was equipped with a good Bell and Carlson stock.

I do like the Ruger 77 and the CZ 550's the most. With the dovetail receivers and nice open sights, they are serious rifles made better with Alaska arms LLC quick detachable rings.

For your requirements, lighter is better. Don't forget, the 9.3x62 was the original Mauser dangerous game rifle. The 375 h&h though more popular, was a heavier, clumsier British rip-off put together for wealthy people.

MANY alaskans and yukoners have made the switch from the 375 magnum to the ole 9.3. Up goes the round count, down goes the weight.

The CZ 550 standard is no longer offered. Ruger has offered a limited run of a 7.3 lb Ruger African in 9.3x62. It's a desirable stock that is easier to sell, should you be allergic to good walnut, to fund a good sythetic stock. If I were you, that'd be my top choice, as a new guide building your career.

I've had no problem with 400 yd and 500 yd shots with the ole 9.3 using 300 grain A-frame/lapua brass handloads. Other more experienced hunters on here like yukoner Ted and Vernak haven't had problems with the long shot either.

I have easily modified the overly chunky Ruger magazine follower to make the rifle a 5-down gun:

http://lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=RUHM77RSB9.3X62

Thanks for a serious reply. For some reason my threads attract bigshict and they always get out of hand.

Way to go!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Cabelas Billings has a Ruger African 9.3x62

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
For a working rifle the Ruger trigger is far and away better than the Kimber’s box assembly. Worst case, you could dump the laminate for an OEM Hawkeye long action plastic fantastic until you figure out a McMillan option.

If you handload, I’d agree with Mainer and go 9.3x62. Any .27/‘06 is just a 9.3 waiting to happen. I used an H&H hard for over a decade but now that rifle has pretty much been replaced by the 9.3, which weighs nearly 3 pounds less and holds more rounds.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Ended up finding a Ruger Hawkeye African with a Mcmillan hunter stock. So I should be set, maybe cerakote it sometime down the road.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 1234, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,430
Posts18,470,780
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.