Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#13609906 02/27/19
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Looking at the heavy barrel, laminated stock, #8350 IIRC. Anyone have good or bad to say about the RAR's in .17, based on real experience?

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Hawk Driver: I bought one of these 1 1/2 years ago and it is one of my all time favorite guns, EVER!
And seeings I own 286 (two hundred and eighty six) guns now and have owned at least that many in the past, THAT is saying something.
I have a Weaver V-16 (4 to 16 power variable) scope on mine and it shoots EXTREMELY well.
To tell the truth I bought the Rifle new, mounted the scope on it and took it to the range with the ammo I wanted to use in it.
The Hornady 17 grain V-Max bullets shot so well and then performed so well in the field on Ground Squirrels and Badgers that I have done VERY little additional "range work" with it so far.
It is VERY accurate on long shots on the diminutive Ground Squirrels, that I am VERY happy I paid the $400.00 for it.
The trigger is great and the shorter heavier barrel works out really well for me on those occasions when I am firing from the cab of the VarmintMobile.
I wish I had more range group data to relay to you but its been to the range like two or three times only to date.
I heartily recommend you buy one and put lots of scope power on it.
My good friend Jack from Yelm, Washington bought one 2 years ago and his is quite accurate as well.
My friend Jack did not understand or like the "grooved" forearm tip on his Rifle so he sawed it off rounded it off and refinished it - I don't know why?
Good luck if you decide to try one.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Hawk Driver: And this.... I have never been interested at all in "silencers" this model is threaded for a silencer and I do some work around houses on Ground Squirrels. CLOSE around houses and it is lower volume shooting but I do it to earn favor with the home/ranch owners.
I am tempted to get started on the long and arduous task of buying a "silencer" and it would go on the Ruger American Varmint in 17 HMR I now own for this type shooting.
Again good luck if you decide to try one.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Hawk Driver: AND this... Ruger has now come out with a 15 round magazine for these RAR 17 HMR's!
I have have bought 18 (eighteen) of these high capacity magazines for my friends and myself (2) so far.
This higher capacity magazine (15 rounds versus 9 rounds) will enhance some of my Varmint shooting situations greatly.
But my point is the rotary Ruger magazines for their 17 HMR offerings COMPLETELY precludes me from even considering any other 17 HMR companies offerings.
LOVE those rotary magazines on the Rugers.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks VG, I think I am going to go that route.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Finally went and picked one up today. Gonna have to go wring it out and she how she shoots.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Hawk Driver: Had friends in from out of state and one had a RAR 17 HMR with the gray laminated stock. His Rifle shot extremely well afield and as is the "habit" of many of my "friends" he was not sure of the
sight-in" as he had gotten a "steal of a deal" on Browning 17 grain ammunition and wanted to test it.
Wasted nearly two hours of good Varminting time at my local range but again his Rifle shot quite well there.
Finally got afield and 4 to 16 power scope and some mid-day calm shooting conditions had him impressing all three of us with his hits on long shots!
My friend is left handed and ran that Rifle pretty well with his "over-reach" bolt manipulation.
My friend got this Rifle last year and did not care for the "Schnable" like groove that Ruger puts on these so he ground it off and refinished it - looks good.
When he saw my 15 round Ruger magazines he had to "have some" - our local pawn/sport shop was out so I sold him one of mine at cost ($22.45 for one - no sales tax).
He LOVED the extra six rounds in between reloadings as we got into some fast and furious shooting.
In stead of a Harris Bi-Pod attaching to his front sling swivel he had added a short "Picatinny" type rail to his forend and a low Caldwell bi-pod to that. That worked well for him on the occasions when we would set up his swiveling bench.
Much of the time he shot out the window of the passenger side of the VarmintMobile over my large window bags.
He appreciated the short stiff barrel when this was done.
Hope your RAR makes you as happy as myself and my friends are with theirs.
Let us know how it shoots.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
VG, if she turns out to be a keeper, I will get those 15 rounders for shooting prairie dogs.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have the standard sporter RAR in 17HMR. the only ammo I have tired in it is the Hornady 17 gr., it groups consistent 5 shot sub-1/2" groups at 50 yards and consistent 5-shot 3/4 to 1 inch groups at 100 yards. I do not see any point in trying any other ammo.

I was reluctant to try the RAR 17HMR because of a poor shooting RAR 22 LR I had, but I got such a good buy on the 17HMR that I couldn't pass it up. Now that I have it I am really happy with it, it has become my favorite ground squirrel rifle. Hope yours is a good one.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They fhuqking SHOOT.

Hint.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (17CalFan, 160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 42 invisible), 2,503 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,834
Posts18,478,050
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.