Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
greydog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G

I watched the interview with Paige Winters, the young lady in NC who lost her leg in a shark attack a couple weeks back. Very refreshing to see someone who is so upbeat and positive when we see so many chronic snivelers who have much less reason to be a little down. Also refreshing, the actions of her father, who didn't hesitate but dove into the water to wrest her from the shark; giving no thought to his own safety. He didn't freeze; he didn't hesitate. A great, positive, story.
On a related subject, my daughter lives near New Bern NC and says it didn't take the recent shark attacts to make her want to stay out of the water. After the recent attacks, it is unlikely her kids will be spending much time in the ocean. GD

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That would make anyone cautious.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
you get in the ocean over your knees, you become part of the food chain.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

At a Cape Cod beach last week. Beautiful sunny day. Moms and dads and kids all stretched out on the sand.

Four or five big full color signs around the parking lot with a picture of a Great White and the words "Great White Shark" "Danger".

Gray seals in the surf chasing fish.

Not one person in the water. Not even their feet. No surfers.

The Cape Cod vibe has really changed.

All things are always on the move simultaneously. - W.S. Churchill
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by stxhunter

[Linked Image]

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Shark attacks are going to steadily increase. Most large coastal sharks are now protected and the practice of gill netting literally tons of juvenile sharks along the beaches for crab trap bait has also mostly been stopped. You have increasing numbers of larger coastal sharks with ever more people in the water. It’s simply a numbers game.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm going to quit walking around the neighborhood because a dog might get me. And no more mountain hiking, lions, bears, yotes, and wolves all waiting for me. Just enjoy the ocean and don't give sharks much thought.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DMc

[Linked Image]

Wonder who got home first.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by ClearAirTurbulence

At a Cape Cod beach last week. Beautiful sunny day. Moms and dads and kids all stretched out on the sand.

Four or five big full color signs around the parking lot with a picture of a Great White and the words "Great White Shark" "Danger".

We have a family vacation house on Nantucket, off the coast of Cape Cod. I go there every Summer for a couple of weeks and sometimes in the fall if there are openings. I think it was in the 70's when they started protecting the Gray Seal. Up until about 25 years ago, I had never seen a seal. Now, the freaking seals have taken over. It's pretty simple, more seals in the water, the more shark attacks there will be on people. The water is filled with all kinds of sharks.

Last year one time, we were fishing the very tip of the island. There was a school of Bluefish hitting the surface about 50 yards out into the rip. Usually the seals will hug the beach and try to steal your fish as you reel it in. This particular day, the seals were hanging out about another 25 yards past were the fish were hitting. I thought it was odd until I noticed several 6' to 8' sharks patrolling the edge of the water. These sharks were close enough to me that I could have stuck out my 12' surf rod and touched them.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got hit by a man-o-war 30+ years ago and still get shaky in the water. Doctor told my mom the scar would go away in 3-6 months. It’s still there. I tell people I got in a sword fight and almost got cut in half.

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I might have to try this some time. Shark fishing looks like fun. Last summer, as we were fishing a certain beach, there was a guy parked next to us and he was shark fishing. When he got this one on, it took him about 1/2 hour to get it in. This dude had his schit together and knew exactly what he was doing. He said the hardest thing he ever pulled in was about a week earlier when he caught a stingray the size of the hood on his truck.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ronald Reagan
W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
I'm 47 and have been swimming off the Carolina coast my whole life. There are days where we spend 6 to 8 hours, not just on the beach, but in the water. I have found thousands of sand dollars over the years. I know the sharks are there and I have seen a few. We will be at the beach in about a month and will swim every day that weather allows. We are quite aware of what is out there. I guess swimming in the ocean is just part of the Carolina culture. I did hear that some man-o-wars have been spotted this summer. Bummer on that!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

I've wade fished there with Leighton and Brian for stripers. but i had my eyes peeled after seeing the sign.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
G
greydog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Yeah, my wife and I swim when we are there too but my daughter has always had a bit of a phobia. When I would get out over waist deep, she would start getting anxious.
The real point of my post was the aftermath of this particular attack and the people involved. Watch the ABC interview. GD

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

I've wade fished there with Leighton and Brian for stripers. but i had my eyes peeled after seeing the sign.

At least the water is clear enough that you can see them before they take your leg off. eek

Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by greydog
Yeah, my wife and I swim when we are there too but my daughter has always had a bit of a phobia. When I would get out over waist deep, she would start getting anxious.
The real point of my post was the aftermath of this particular attack and the people involved. Watch the ABC interview. GD

Yes it's unreal how some people can pick up the pieces after their lives just changed. Pretty strong will.

Sorry, I didn't mean to hy-jack the thread.

Ronald Reagan
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 16bore
I got hit by a man-o-war 30+ years ago and still get shaky in the water. Doctor told my mom the scar would go away in 3-6 months. It’s still there. I tell people I got in a sword fight and almost got cut in half.

For that manowar, meat tenderizer or piss on it, seriously.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

Last year I took an airplane tour around the Cape and somewhere off the National Seashore I saw a big shark from about 400-500 feet ASL. He was slowly cruising along at the surface and just off the sand - real close. No people nearby.

Can't say for sure it was a Great White but it was a husky brute and considerable bigger and longer than the gray seals I saw a mile or so down the beach. NOAA says an adult gray seal can go 7.5-10 feet and up to 880 lbs. So - bigger than one of those.

I used to swim off that stretch of beach when I was a kid.

All things are always on the move simultaneously. - W.S. Churchill
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
lot of whites on the cape.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
think i've only seen a couple blacks there in all times i've been there fishing....

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

681 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 22250rem, 160user, 06hunter59, 204guy, 70 invisible), 2,694 guests, and 1,509 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,610
Posts18,492,478
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.