Print Thread
Hop To
R
RinB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R

Arrived in Namibia Saturday via Qatar business class. Well worth the added expense. Was impressed with the Doha airport. Qatar sent me to a very nice hotel for a rest because of the long layover. I know, poor me.

Used Emirates last year but prefer Qatar. You can order meal service from their menu when ever you like! Breakfast, lunch, or supper, whichever. The QSuites are very nice as well. Both airlines had really great food and service. I did like the bar on the Emirates A380 however. Patrick at Travel With Guns is my man for travel arrangements.

I did transit thru JNB without any problems but I have never had a single issue, not one. But I have a secret methodology.

Weather in Namibia Omaruru is perfect. Got a stomach bug so am resting today. For now living on ice cream and fresh baked bread.
Going out again after a nap and lunch.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RinB

Arrived in Namibia Saturday via Qatar business class. Well worth the added expense. Was impressed with the Doha airport. Qatar sent me to a very nice hotel for a rest because of the long layover. I know, poor me.

Avian?

Have Dog

Will Travel

R
RinB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R

Hotel...Rotella

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh, gotcha.

We had a flight cancelled out of Hosea to Vic Falls and they put us up in Windhoek.
( air Namibia has issues) smile

Have Dog

Will Travel

R
RinB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I was shocked by the beauty and cleanliness of Hamad International Airport. Best ever.

I didn’t realize that the per capita income of Qatar is highest in the world.

Lots of British expats.

Last edited by RinB; 06/18/19.

IC B2

R
RinB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R

Hearing lots of bad stories about Namibian Air

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Glad you’re travels are going well buddy! Hope you get to feeling better soon. Can’t wait to hear the post hunt report.

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I will avoid J'burg like the plague next time. The Qatar to WH deal sounds pretty good.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've been looking at the Qatar to Windhoek option but all flights from the eastern US result in a 9 hour layover in Doha. OK time to spill the beans on your secret methodology to getting through Joberg. My guess is traveling without firearms.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Agree regarding Qatar Business Class. They do know how to run an airline!

The layover in Doha is a bitch, but they do put you up in a hotel. First/business class lounge is one of the best.

They make traveling with rifles relatively easy.

Went to Zim on Qatar in 2017 with sufficient time to make the SAA connection to Harare. In 2018, we arrived in Joberg with sufficient time to make the SAA connection to Port Elizabeth, so no overnight stay was required on either trip.

Last year I came back from my SA hunt on Qatar via Cape Town, direct to Doha, thereby avoiding Joberg. Again, no issues; but no first/business class lounge in Cape Town. On the way over, we relaxed in the Joberg Priority Pass lounge as we waited for our connecting flight.

I have always been told that if you have a stomach bug, avoid dairy products.

Enjoy your hunt!

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Labman95
I've been looking at the Qatar to Windhoek option but all flights from the eastern US result in a 9 hour layover in Doha. OK time to spill the beans on your secret methodology to getting through Joberg. My guess is traveling without firearms.

Agree, but that still beats dealing with SAPS, overnighting expenses, etc.

R
RinB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R

I have never had an issue at JNB with anything including firearms.
First: I don’t dress like a member of a swat team or a wanna be para military dude. No camo clothing or backpack. I look like a gentleman golfer on holiday. Take a look at how the spaniards or germans dress.

Second: I never have “an attitude” and I behave the way my 1950’s mother taught me to behave as a happy guest. I don’t act like I expect anything to go wrong and if things are slow or alien I smile and am very pleased to be helped. In my experience the grumpiest folks at SAPS are the hunters from the US who think everything is wrong.

R
RinB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R

Usually I travel with a rifle. Some years ago I permanently imported a couple of rifles into RSA but still can’t stop wanting to try my newest rifle and load.

Also, I have always done my own SAPS forms and handled it myself. Some of the folks who assisted traveling hunters developed a demanding attitude of entitlement towards the SAPS staff. I have gotten to know the head constable and always make it a point to say hello.

Last edited by RinB; 06/18/19.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I haven't had any SAPS issues either because I use meet and greet/pre approved SAPS services at the tune of $200. Not many hunters have your expertise at that. I also have never worn, nor even seen fellow hunters stoll through J'burg airport in camo or any other of that idiotic crap you refer to. Common sense prevails. Dinner and breakfast, plus the room will add another $200, so a savings of $4-500 by bypassing JBurg completely does appeal to me. There's nothing in J'burg that interests me for that matter.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Patrick at Travel With Guns is my man for travel arrangements.

This is all any American hunting in Africa needs to know.

RS

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
My wife and I will be going to SA in 2021. We will be doing some hunting and some touring. I would like to bring my own rifle and I was wondering if anyone has used a storage service for their guns either before or after their hunt? I saw this one online (https://www.safari-concierge.com/firearmstorage) but I was hoping to find a recc from someone. Sorry to hijack the thread, RinB, I hope you feel better and enjoy your hunt.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I was shocked by the beauty and cleanliness of Hamad International Airport. Best ever.

Lots of British expats.

Lots of British expats.

Lots of British expats.

I also love this airport! The business lounge is bigger than a soccer field. And the Qsuites beat anyone else’s business class. Can’t wait till November to fly them again.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
ND Snowman:

Went to Zim for an elephant hunt in 2017 and brought my .470 in a compact aluminum case made by Impact. The plan was to visit friends after the hunt who had a beachfront home near Mossel Bay and do some touring with them after that. Did not want to lug around (and be responsible for) the .470 while we did our visits and side trips.

Gracy Travel prearranged for me to meet someone from Sable Flats Safaris & Protection Services at the SAPS office at the Joberg airport when we arrived from Zim. They opened the case, inspected the rifle, took a copy of the SAPS form and relocked and placed tamper proof seals on the case, taking the rifle with them. When we were ready to depart for home a few weeks later, they again met me at the Joberg SAPS office, broke the seals, opened the case and returned the rifle to me so it could be placed on the return Qatar flight. Very satisfied with them and the price for their services was quite reasonable.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

178 members (007FJ, 1eyedmule, 1_deuce, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 26 invisible), 2,086 guests, and 1,057 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,079
Posts18,501,616
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.