C
Doug, any updates on a response?

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
It might be better if you PMed him. I doubt he's checking this thread much.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
One of the reasons I bought my last Leupold with the CDS was because of Randy's show. After it would not track (after sending it back for service the second time) I seriously wondered if Randy's Leupolds were from a different build? Based on his misses.....maybe not?

I loved Leupold scopes and always considered them my "go-to" rifle optic. The last experience really challenges my confidence. After waiting numerous years for a tag, I have to have equipment that I can count on.

Doug said it best when he opened this thread, "However, every product they offer can and should be expected to perform as advertised and be well made".

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Doug, any updates on a response?

I was told to expect a call to discuss this end of this week

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Caleveras

I loved Leupold scopes and always considered them my "go-to" rifle optic. The last experience really challenges my confidence. After waiting numerous years for a tag, I have to have equipment that I can count on.

For me this quite simply sums my experiences up. No emotion at all. I'm no hater. Stuff just needs to work.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
WOW, glad I read this entire thread. I'll never buy another new Leupold again in my life. The company absolutely sucks.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Although Leupold sells optics for many applications, I think their company has relied on the sales of hunting scopes for a majority of their success. I would say most households in the part of America I live, have some of sort of scoped hunting firearms. I would also say that probably 75% of those optics cost $200 or less. If a person has a Nikon Buckmaster scope, that is upper tier by most folks account where I live. If my opinion is correct most of Leupolds riflescope hunting market in the US is to consumers of the VX3 line of scopes and under.

So said persons who spend a $100- $500 on a scope generally do not know if they have a "bad" riflescope or not regardless of the brand. And some folks that have much more expensive scopes typically do not know if a scope is bad or goes bad. Most people where I live buy a riflescope, sight it in (or think they do and go hunting), they miss a deer and go check their rifle/scope. "Oh my scope was off 10 inches at 50 yards" they sight in their gun again or think they do and go back hunting. To them that's just how things work, they just accept it. But they also don't know if it was their scope, rifle or whatever problem that caused them to miss.

So in theory most companies could build a scope that is not reliable or function properly, but only a small percent of consumers would know this, therefore business is still acceptable for the manufacturers. I personally want things that work as they should or as I think they should, I feel many scope brands suffer in this regard, including Leupold.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The Yosemite 6x30 binocular is a favorite Leupold product.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
The Yosemite 6x30 binocular is a favorite Leupold product.

Love my 8X as well

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
I am on my 3rd pair of 6X 30 Yosemite , last two returned eye cups fell off on left side of first ,
Second pair cups would not stay up ,same for 3rd ,just saying .

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Hugh
I am on my 3rd pair of 6X 30 Yosemite , last two returned eye cups fell off on left side of first ,
Second pair cups would not stay up ,same for 3rd ,just saying .

Interesting. I taped mine before ever using. They're cheap.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Here is an excerpt from a post made about 10 years ago, by a guy going by Bart B. on the Firing Line. Comports with much of what I have learned over the years about scopes and the companies that make and sell them, as well as shooters who buy and use them. I did the bold part for emphasis.

Paul

Most folks demand superior images from their rifle scopes. They pay big bucks for them and usually get less than perfect mechanics. But the companies don't care because the vast majority of their customers don't shoot their rifles well enough nor know how to uncover the poor mechanics and non-repeatability they have from shot to shot; you don't test them very well by shooting groups with them.

Weaver's scopes with Microtrack adjustments have average optics, but probably the best mechanics around. Some tests made years ago on four .308 Win. match rifles with every scope on the market tested for the accuracy it would produce. A few did very good to start with, others average or not so good. Then each scope had 100 rounds fired under it while it was on an M1A. Finally, all scopes went back on the rifles to test. All of them shot worse than before; their mechanics had loosened up causing the target image to not rest at the same place on the reticule causing less accuracy. That is except for two scopes; a Weaver T16 and T20. Mounting the scopes on bench collimators then beating on them to substitute recoil had the same results. The plain average optics in the two Weaver Model T's were kept well in place. John Unertl, the old scope making man himself, told me about these tests. He said the only scopes that were as mechanically sound as the Weaver Model T's were his external adjustments used on Unertl target scopes as well as the Targetspots made by Lyman.

Even the power zoom ring and its two cam tubes moving two lens groups back and forth can cause errors. Put an optical collimator in your rifle's muzzle, adust the scope's reticule to center on the collimator, then make power changes while watching the reticule make a figure eight around the collimator's center. Worst I've ever seen was on a Leupold and two Nightforce scopes.

It's a rifle sight first and an optical instrument second: Paul39

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Wow! Nightforce! If this is true stuff, it's one of the best reasons yet to use fixed power scopes. RJ

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prm
It was a good podcast. He answered my question about measuring reticle position while simulating thousands of recoils. But the podcast is a marketing spiel, not a critical discussion. I really enjoy Newburg, but I know I will never hear a critical word about a Leupold from him. Nature of sponsorships. If he has a scope not track I won’t hear about that. I wonder if his scopes even see that much use given he may get new scopes on some recurring basis? Again, not a knock on him or Leupold, just the nature of that business. The same goes for any other sponsored hunter and any other brand. In all likelihood I could take a Leupold hunting after a few hundred shots and it would be fine. I’m worried what happens shooting, or on a hunting trip, a couple years down the line after thousands of shots. That’s one place I was bit.

Like!

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
When the trend in shooting turned to long range leupold was exposed for the schit that it really is. Why they didn't see that coming is beyond me. For over 20 years now I've bought better scopes for less money. Its a simple calculation! The grandpa's said let's build quality! The youngsters said let's make more money! Always better to work hard to earn your living and that's something that will last. Everything that turns to schit will dry up and blow away in the wind

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Trystan receives Participation Award. .

[Linked Image]

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Trystan
When the trend in shooting turned to long range leupold was exposed for the schit that it really is. Why they didn't see that coming is beyond me. For over 20 years now I've bought better scopes for less money. Its a simple calculation! The grandpa's said let's build quality! The youngsters said let's make more money! Always better to work hard to earn your living and that's something that will last. Everything that turns to schit will dry up and blow away in the wind

Trystan

What brand are you using?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ironbender

Trystan

Well, on 3.24.19 he was recommending others to buy Leupold schit that was made by the current clan. But remember, only inside 400 yards, because that isn't LR and the LR trend must have started after March 24, 2019.

More than a little schit has been written on this thread.

I'm very pleased with my 6 SWFA. Crystal clear at 10 yds. I went with 30 mm Warne mediums and scope clearance is about 3/16" on my 6.5X55 Tikka

Honestly though if I wasn't dialing for shots over 400 yds I'd go with a Leupold 6X36 for the big weight savings

Trystan

Last edited by battue; 06/20/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
After reading this thread I suspect Leupold will thank Doug for passing along the information and send him a tee shirt.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by ironbender

Trystan

Well, on 3.24.19 he was recommending others to buy Leupold schit that was made by the current clan. But remember, only inside 400 yards, because that isn't LR and the LR trend must have started after March 24, 2019.

More than a little schit has been written on this thread.

I'm very pleased with my 6 SWFA. Crystal clear at 10 yds. I went with 30 mm Warne mediums and scope clearance is about 3/16" on my 6.5X55 Tikka

Honestly though if I wasn't dialing for shots over 400 yds I'd go with a Leupold 6X36 for the big weight savings

Trystan

You can put your “bash” hat on in this thread then post your rifles wearing Leupold scopes in others. Ha . Not talking about you...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 30 of 31 1 2 28 29 30 31

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (160user, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1badf350, 69 invisible), 2,505 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,189
Posts18,503,386
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.