Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Talk about being naive on the way K-9's kill!

Yotes and fox have better stamina when compared to cervoid.

It is not done by sprint but by out-lasting the "cervus" in a marathon!
They run the animals till they can no longer run.
Best checkout the Uwarrie,Pisgah and Natahala area's for feral packs!

I had people telling me it was a felony to pop a dog in NC back in 1987.
Twenty years of removing animals that dummies had no business owning and used them for totally inappropriate reasons,then turned them "free-range" to fend for themselves!

Rutherford/Polk/Cleveland county,NC have yet to file charges on me and I have had LEO's and CO's from all three counties respond to instances where me or mine have shot feral mutt's!

Then also I have had deer-hounds bone-dry thirsty who drank from my water.

Any competent hunter knows a deer-hound or a pack of boar-dogs(for most northern hunters it's best to hold off when visiting down south untill you've become associated with the customs)
when they are on a stand or in a blind.

But if you were to look out the window(for us NOT in the cities)and see a doe "hell bent for greener pastures" with any amount of K-9's behind her,who would not shoot?

That "old dog's will be dogs" just shows how some people have not the ambition to train their animal.

Mike

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Any farmer close to a city faces this day after day. If I see a dog, and it allows itself to be captured, I call animal control. Let them kill them. If not, well.... A bullet is better than starvation.

It's not PETA that will worry you about this. PETAs official position is that feral cats and dogs should be "removed". PETA doesn't like ANY domestic animals, including pets. They are just smart enough not to publicize that position much...... FWIW, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fats
guys very seldom are deer caught and drug down by dogs unless it is 10 -12 fast dogs and the deer makes lots of cirlces gets get caught in a creek it just doesn't happen.

Not so. Just last fall a neighbor saw a young doe run onto his property, tongue hanging out, moving slow and about done in. Close behind was a (former) German Shepard (no collar) followed by two or three lesser mongrels. The Shepard could've killed the deer himself if he'd been allowed. My neighbor is a vet and said that on examination the dog had been crunching large, fresh bone as in deer. He felt a little bad about shooting the dog, but the dog had been seen running loose frequently and if not feral the next thing to it. Certainly uncontrolled, uncared for, and pretty much unwanted.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hate shooting dogs, but I've done it. I'm a dog person, but I've come across several that were running deer on our place, which is miles from any houses. It makes me feel terrible, but I feel that it is something that has to be done. A high-powered rifle makes it quick and painless. A few years ago, we had a population of truly feral dogs on our hunting property. They all looked the same, like darkish mangy coyotes. We killed several of them in one deer season. My brother and I were once hunting on a large powerline right-of-way that ran through that place when I heard him shoot, about 1/2 a mile down the line. A few seconds later, he fired a few more shots. I looked down his way to see several dogs running towards me. After I shot them, I went down to my brother's location to find a nine-point buck and the bodies of 2 dogs that had been running it and had attempted to chew on it after brother had dropped it. Somewhere, there is a photo of my brother and I standing next to his truck, with a bed full of mangy dogs and a nice buck.

Now with even more aplomb
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
fats,
It depends on where you live!
I knew a guy whose nickname was "Don the dog killer" because he had killed so many. He owned 80 acres by the river and had lots of deer on his land. He always told the neighbors to keep the dogs tied up or else. One time he shot a neighbors dog and the guy punched him in the nose after a brief conversation about it in the town bar. My friend sued him for assault and got enough money to buy a new Ruger Super Redhawk and a few other things.
In Minnesota it is very comon to shoot dogs in March because the snow freezes during the night and melts during the day. This leaves a crust on top of the snow. If you have deep snow then the deer have sharp hooves that break through the crust and they get exhausted running while the dogs can run on top of the crust and it is not hard for dogs to catch the deer after a long chase. They pack up at night in farm country and run like wolves, then during the day they are pets. True Sportsmen drive around in the morning and try to help the deer out.
I had some friends who were leasing some land in the southern part of the state and the owner said she was afraid to go out in the yard because dogs were growling in the shed. My friends went around the barn and surrounded it. Then one went inside with a shotgun and 19 dogs bailed for the wide open. One guy had some success with an M1 Garand. Everyone had fun. (except the dogs)
They made three more trips! grin
Another time I was at a banquet after a policeman vs fireman hockey game. Someone walked up and asked me if I knew what I was eating? What? Dog Killed Deer.
:(whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by fats
guys very seldom are deer caught and drug down by dogs unless it is 10 -12 fast dogs and the deer makes lots of cirlces gets get caught in a creek it just doesn't happen.

In growing up in farm country, I have seen at least 10 deer run and killed by dogs. All of those were single deer, run by no more than 5 dogs at once. None of these were in deep snow.

We once had a neighborhood dog hunting party, since there was a large feral pack that also took to killing sheep and calves. Many people from miles around joined together, dug a pit grave, and started doing dog drives through woods. I think we ended up with 18 or 22, something like that. Some of those were collared, well-fed, pampered pooches that had joined in for a fun run with the ferals.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Man if I were you guys I would not leave the house with out an ar-15 with 100 rd beta mags, I would be fearing for my life because you have these bionic dogs all around you! Please bring some down here and let them chase our deer down because we need something to thin our population down! just kidding fellas have all ways been a hound guy rabbits, fox, deer, coyote whatever I know there are dog populations that get out of hand, and need to be taken care of. Hunting clubs where I hunt try to keep there dogs on there land and obey all the rules! Have a great day and I will bring the beer and popcorn when I come back!
!

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
fats,
On are land during deer season, deer dog's get a pass!
Turkey season now will see feral-dogs getting shot!

It took me some getting use to not hunting Sundays,using dog's and buckshot while getting aquainted with the aspect's of hunting in North Carolina.

Different regions have different customs.
Up here No-one uses dogs for deer hunting unless they want a $500.00 tag per dog and the risk of having the dogs shot by CO's/LEO's during hunting season.
Between Jan 1st and July 15th and citizen may shoot any dog pursueing any big game animal.

The whole "free-range dog's" is nothing more than owners who have no business having dogs if they cannot control their animal!

Rule #1 of having a dog:
You must be Alpha!
Mike

Originally Posted by saddlesore
I'm willing to go the distance, I figure that the SOB who lets his dog run lose to chase my livestock is worse than the the dog. The dog don't know any better

You are so right. I despise people who let dogs run loose and create problems then get shot for doing what dogs naturally do. Not that I wont shoot a dog that has pulled a calf down, but I will also go to a lot of effort to identify the dog's owner and deal with him too.

"If it cant be made in a dutch oven over a fire it probably isnt worth eating".....BMG
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The problem is that you can spend days trying to catch the dog and identify the owner, and then I've had the mutt show up again the next day. That's why I just call animal control; at least it costs the owners $70 to bail their lovable pooches out. It gets real old though, having to pay employees to corral dogs instead of working.

If the dog's too wild to catch, I have no choice. Fortunately, that doesn't occur but very rarely. Most dogs are either lost or have been "set free". That, I DETEST. FWIW, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It doesn't take much of a dog to run down a doe or fawn. It does have to be fast (run by sight, not scent).

In Ontario, shooting someones dog except for protection of livestock livestock is a criminal offense. Regardless of circumstances, you are still liable for civil damages if sued. You can sue the dog owner for damage to livestock.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by 99Lover
Originally Posted by Tom264
Originally Posted by 99Lover
Originally Posted by highmesahunter

And he's right about some of you folks...you ARE STUPID....

why dont you go pet your stupid little dog!

My girls have cats actually and I will...Raccoons are my target of choice as my yard seems over run with them and They kill the pets...

If you notice I did edit out that little quote from my post within seconds after I submitted it...But it was aimed right at you Dumbass...

Ooooohhh! big words what are you going to do beat me up? first off what I want to know is why you edited the little quote.......I kinda think its funny I beat you at your own game you little turd! and I'm not going to edit that word either like you would.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The problem I have is with cattle owners who won't do anything to collect their cows after they have come onto my land.
They do a lot of damage and I think these ranchers deliberately leave them as long as possible for the free pasture.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
The San Luis Valley is full of dog killers. Most of 'em sick buckaroos.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Alamosa
The problem I have is with cattle owners who won't do anything to collect their cows after they have come onto my land.
They do a lot of damage and I think these ranchers deliberately leave them as long as possible for the free pasture.

A few years ago we found 22 cows (dairy type...) roaming around on our place. I knew where they came from, so I went over and told him. He claimed they weren't his, cause he does a "head count" every evening.

Three days later, they were still there, in the woods, in the field, just roaming, back and forth between our place and neighbors on both sides. So I called him up and told him again that I had a bunch of cows roaming around, and that he should probably come get them. His response was the same... "Ain't mine, I do a head count".

So *I* responded (jokingly)... "Then you're invited over tonight for a barbecue. We're having fresh beef, all you can eat. Stop by about an hour after you hear the shooting stop, it should be just about ready then."

Five minutes later, him and his sons all showed up on four wheelers, at high speed. grin

After some joking around about his math skills (hey, he was only off by 22! I'm sure he ran out of fingers by then! laugh ), we helped him get them back home.

No, I wasn't going to shoot them, and he knew it. And it wasn't a big hassle to get them headed in the right direction, with five of us. My wife actually thought it was "cute" having them there for a while.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Alamosa

Call the brand inspector. And livestock owners ARE liable for your feed--anywhere between $3-$20 an AUM in most parts of Colorado.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
The San Luis Valley is full of dog killers. Most of 'em sick buckaroos.

Gotta love them rural western values--that's why Californians and other urban refugees have such a bad reputation in these parts--the first thing they do when they move here for those nebulous country "values"--is tell us everything we're doing wrong.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have killed a bunch of dogs, and a few had collars. I caught 4 dogs last year, during elk season, that had the nose and ears chewed off of a yearling steer, on our ranch. I got all four of them with a 338 RUM. The last 2 were running off, and got the TX heart shot, so you can imagine what the exit hole looked like. All 4 of them had collars on, and belonged to the same person. I loaded all 4 of them up, and drove straight to his house, and told him what they had done, and told him that I would have the steer in pen in a couple of hours, if he wanted to come see. He told me he was sorry, and that he would have done the same thing. Did it cause hard feelings, maybe. But I shot every dog I see on our ranch, tags or not. Mind you. We are 12 miles from any houses, so they have no reason being there.

Toby Joe

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Somebody dropped off a pregnant bitch on my uncles deer lease several years ago. By the time we found out the pups where pretty big and where wild as was the mother. We went to do some brush clearing and the 5 pups and mom chased me and my uncle back to our truck. Guess what. The next weekend we went dog hunting, got all of them too.

Walk softly and carry a big bore!
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Killing dogs on your property that are killing or chasing stock seems right to me.

Dogs running wild game for sport or food on public property seems like a natural enough thing. I guess I differ from many of you in that I think a dog should be able to catch and kill game, just like any other animal (bear, coyote, etc.).

Shooting an animal that displays loyalty and trust to people just because it might lessen your chances of getting a deer or elk during hunting season, seems kind of self-centered.

Personally, I have no problem with killing any living thing that is a threat to me or others, or just plain needs killing.

But to me shooting a dumb dog, just because they are doing what dog's instinctively do is another matter.

But to each his own.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (257Bob, 21, 160user, 260madman, 270wsmnutt, 257 roberts, 51 invisible), 2,570 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,368
Posts18,527,313
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.