Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Hudge Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The NRA doesn't need the help of the left to destroy it, it's doing a great job on it's own!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/nr...sting-coup-attempt/ar-AADaPMg?ocid=ientp

Bloomberg) -- The National Rifle Association suspended its top lobbyist and one of his deputies, adding further turmoil to the gun-rights group’s leadership ranks as it wages legal battles on multiple fronts and prepares for a bruising 2020 election cycle.

The NRA confirmed Thursday that it had suspended Chris Cox, the lobbying chief who was viewed widely as a future leader of the group, and his deputy chief of staff, Scott Christman.

The moves came after Oliver North, the former NRA board president, was ousted from the organization in April after it accused him of leading an attempted coup against Wayne LaPierre, the executive vice president of the NRA who has long served as the organization’s leader. North alleged that LaPierre used the group to enrich himself. As part of the infighting, the NRA sued Ackerman McQueen Inc., its longtime advertising firm, and in turn Ackerman cut ties with the group.

On Wednesday night, the NRA filed a lawsuit against North arguing that he didn’t have the right to legal fees from the NRA. The lawsuit says that Cox, described as a “likely successor” to lead the organization, participated in the failed bid to oust LaPierre.

The leadership struggle came to a head on April 24, according to the lawsuit. That’s when North talked to a LaPierre aide by phone and threatened to reveal unflattering details about LaPierre’s travel and clothing expenses unless he resigned and supported “North’s continued tenure as president,” according to the complaint, which calls the exchange an extortion.

North also promised to arrange an “excellent retirement” for LaPierre through Ackerman McQueen if he resigned, the NRA claims.

The NRA filed its suit against Ackerman McQueen in mid-April, claiming it refused to turn over details about North’s contract with the advertising firm. Last month, the NRA sued again, claiming Ackerman McQueen engineered the failed coup attempt by leaking damaging information to undermine NRA leaders.

The firm fired back with a breach-of-contract countersuit, claiming that the NRA was just trying to get out of its service agreement with the firm and that it had provided all the information sought by the gun group.

North was aided in his efforts against LaPierre by NRA board member Dan Boren, a former congressman who’s now a top executive for Chickasaw Nation, a major Ackerman McQueen client, according to the NRA complaint filed on Wednesday. Boren “helped to choreograph the ultimatum they presented to Mr. LaPierre,” it said.

In emails obtained by the NRA, Boren “admitted his knowledge that Ackerman may have been invoicing the NRA for full salaries of employees who were actually working on the Chickasaw Nation account.” Those emails also show that Cox was an “errant fiduciary” who “participated in the Ackerman/North/Boren conspiracy,” the NRA claims.

The complaint asks a judge to declare that the NRA shouldn’t be required to cover North’s legal fees for subpoenas arising from its litigation with Ackerman McQueen and from a Senate Finance Committee request for information. North’s attorney had demanded that the NRA cover his legal fees for the congressional probe and for “any other inquiries” that he “may receive” in the future, it said.

Cox’s suspension was reported earlier by the New York Times. Cox’s spokeswoman told the Times that he played no role in the coup attempt.

The suspensions throw the group’s political operation into turmoil just days after President Donald Trump announced his re-election bid. The NRA spent heavily to support Trump during the 2016 race, and Cox has met with the president multiple times during his tenure. Speaking at the NRA’s annual meeting this year, Trump was introduced by Cox rather than LaPierre.

A lawyer for North, Brendan Sullivan, declined to comment and said he would respond in a court filing.

As the group’s chief lobbyist, Cox oversaw nine different divisions, including federal, state, and local government affairs. “Cox develops and executes independent political campaigns and legislative initiatives. He also serves as the Association’s principal contact with the United States Senate and House of Representatives, the White House and federal agencies,” the NRA Foundation wrote on its website in a profile of Cox.

Last edited by Hudge; 06/20/19.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Almost like they have been infiltrated by Deep State Operatives, huh?

The same type that strive to ruin our govt...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
AFAIK, Chris Cox is the NRA's best weapon.

I admired Wayne LaPierre after I read his book, but perhaps it is time for him to go.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AB2506
AFAIK, Chris Cox is was the NRA's best weapon.

I admired Wayne LaPierre after I read his book, but perhaps it is time for him to go.

Fixt.

And it IS time for Wayne to go down the road.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
U
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
U
I say we play a game. Every time NRA does something else stupid we send $10 to Gun Owners of America. At the rate they're going maybe just a dollar.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
IC B2

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
It sounds as dysfunctional as some families.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So, do we pay dues to the NRA, or Ackerman McQueen? Just amazing, not a peep of ANY of this in the NRA magazine and report on the convention, although they revisted the Cincinnati Revolt, right?
Dang, I guess I need to make plans to go to what, Nashville?

The other thing is, L:a Pierra looked really beat in the Convention pictures, hair like Einstein. Not good news that Cox is out, better not be permentnly because he's got more charisma than WLP. Maybe it's time to move Dana and Colion to the head of the PR queue?

Don't need to sink the ship, just need to right the SOB back on course. Dang well better be soon.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Hudge Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
I say we play a game. Every time NRA does something else stupid we send $10 to Gun Owners of America. At the rate they're going maybe just a dollar.

Well, the last three years or so, the NRA has been getting less or my money and GOA more of my money.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As an endowment member, I sure hope they can get their affairs in order, clean house, and get back to work. I believe they can do that. Of course, the left wants all NRA members to give up on them and walk away. They're drooling with glee in anticipation of something like that. Don't give them the satisfaction.

Hudge Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
So, do we pay dues to the NRA, or Ackerman McQueen? Just amazing, not a peep of ANY of this in the NRA magazine and report on the convention, although they revisted the Cincinnati Revolt, right?

The other thing is, L:a Pierra looked really beat in the Convention pictures, hair like Einstein. Not good news that Cox is out, better not be permentnly because he's got more charisma than WLP. Maybe it's time to move Dana and Colion to the head of the PR queue?

Don't need to sink the ship, just need to right the SOB back on course. Dang well better be soon.

There's been some gun figures on YouTube calling for the burning down of the NRA so it can built from the foundation up again. I am thinking more and more, that might be the only way to right the ship.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They're in such a mess, fighting over our donation dollars, that they're not getting mine until they clean up their act.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hudge
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner

There's been some gun figures on YouTube calling for the burning down of the NRA so it can built from the foundation up again. I am thinking more and more, that might be the only way to right the ship.

NRA has a cancer, it's not going to be a clean rebuild. I stopped sending NRA $$ after Wayne and the bumpstocks and started sending to GOA. Either the NRA is going to support the 2nd amendment or it's not, there is no grey area.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
they used to have regional conventions/presentations, i went to one about 20 years ago that cox was a firebrand. it was also noteworthy, John Dingell was the celeb

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not going to walk away, but I'm not sending any more money until all of the dust settles, and we can see how all of this shakes out. To be honest, I have become pretty skeptical about LaPierre's effectiveness, and I have been fairly positive about Cox's fundraising appeals. It does appear that a hell of a lot of money is being spent to polish the images of the major players--and that makes me wonder if that money is well spent.

I send some money to GOA, but find it hard to tell if they are actually having an impact, or if they are simply taking credit for the results of other people's efforts.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AB2506
AFAIK, Chris Cox is the NRA's best weapon.

Yeah right, Chris Cox needs to go too right along with WLP,

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by luv2safari
They're in such a mess, fighting over our donation dollars, that they're not getting mine until they clean up their act.

Patron member and long time financial supporter. I’m taking a time out financially until this gets sorted out.

NRA Patron
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Jim Crax, it sounds like the swamp.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Typical union activity. Just because someone is on your side doesn't make them a good guy.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Drain the NRA swamp.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Why the hell do they need 76 people on the board of directors??

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

654 members (160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 60 invisible), 3,285 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,963
Posts18,499,212
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.