-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just can't see the advantage of the smaller truck.
The milage would have to be a lot better in order to sacrifice the extra room, power and bullet proof engine of the full size Chevys.
I bought a 2015 Chevy Silverado double cab and love it.

Proud NRA Life Member

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I would look at the new Ranger and a Tacoma. Forget the rest

Agreed. I'd wait a year on the Ranger. Let Ford work out first year kinks in the new Ranger.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
The frontier is a great little pickup. But, there is always a but.... the fuel mileage is almost that of a full sized 5.3 Chevy, another complaint is the turning radius, they don’t turn to sharp. Oh they do make a 4 cylinder and manual transmission too.

They are a solid, very well built truck though. I got a friend in the Austin area that has a pool cleaning business. He says said they are the best deal out there now. At that time ford didn’t make the Ranger anymore, chevys were to expensive as was the Toyota.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Salmonella
I just can't see the advantage of the smaller truck.
The milage would have to be a lot better in order to sacrifice the extra room, power and bullet proof engine of the full size Chevys.
I bought a 2015 Chevy Silverado double cab and love it.

There IS a big difference in price. My Nissan cost $28K NEW, versus what you pay for a full-sized truck. Around here, that's about $15K difference in price, which I couldn't do. The Nissan is an old design, and all the equipment is paid for, so you get a LOT of vehicle for the money you pay. Both my Nissans had the same SV "package" when I bought them, but the newer one is packed with a lot of nicer things, zoned A/C, heated seats, backup cameras and sonars,Sirius radio, etc. that the older truck didn't have.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by renegade50
Originally Posted by rifletom
Thinking of getting a bit smaller truck. What's the 'fires opinions on these? V-6/3.6L, 8 speed auto trans. 2WD. Pretty much for around town stuff, trout fishing in Sierra's. Nothing too difficult. Thanks. Just kicking things around.

Buy what ya want man.
I got a 04 used recently 4wd short bed reg cab 5 spd man 3.5L I5

I'm happy as fugg with it, getting 21 mpg.
Which I ain't seen in decades.
1st chevy I ever owned in my life.
I used to think they was the debil........
Hahaha!!!

Live up to your expectations, not others...
That's some damned good mileage. I've long thought that there was little to no advantage to a Ranger/Colorado size truck when an F150/Silverado get within about 1 mpg of them.

My '03 Sierra 4x4 X cab only gets about 15 according to the dash. It's got the 5.3 though.

I need to get my power seat fixed.

I got like 16 or 17 in the 97 f150 I had with the 4.6l

Prior to that I owned 3 rangers since 1989
In my 04 4wd 4.0l i was getting 18 to 19.
I had a 89 2.3 and a 98 2.5 both were mid 20,s

IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Everybody says "Tacoma". So I didn't do any research, I was so irked at my Dodge and GM work trucks, got a mad on and ran out and bought the wife a Tundra and me a Tacoma. Good pickups, both 4x4's...but I think the Tacoma's are over hyped. Mine requires up to 5 or ten minutes to get it in 4wd low range (yes, I followed the damn book precisely) and have had to spend up to 15 minutes to get it OUT of 4 low. I have adjusted the rolling circumference of the tires to the gnats ass. If I had any hair I'd pull it out. But the worst thing, is the reverse ratio in the Tacoma 6 speed manual. It is so high geared, you have to slip the clutch for every little maneuver. Back a trailer up a slight incline? Not without 4 low, which takes 5 minutes to engage. If I had the coordination and courage, I think the Tacoma would easily do 55 mph in reverse. The Tundra too, but it's got auto trans so it's not so annoying. Just one old guy's opinion, but I'd advise you to try what you buy.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Theres pictures of a colorado getting a bent frame from towing a 2100 lb trailer... Lookup "Chevy colorado bent frame trailer". Supposedly it wasnt covered under warranty. Personally, I wouldnt buy ANY GM product.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by DavePrice

Well, that might not help sell any of them.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by viking
Nissans 4.0 is a great motor.

The 285 hp v6? Its a beast .

When I bought my 2007 Frontier, I also test-drove a Chevy, and went with the Nissan. The Chevy felt sloppy in the front end. I drove that Frontier for 9 years with nothing but the usual maintenance, and when I traded it, I bought another Nissan. I've had great service out of Nissans, this is my fifth. They are just right for my needs/wants. I don't tow anything, but it's rated to 7200 lbs. I wouldn't do that, though, it's the WHOA, not the GO, that'll bite you in the butt.

My only complaint is the fuel mileage, I can scratch out 20 MPG if I go feather-footed, but that ain't me. It's more normally 19 highway.

I have a 2013 4WD Crew Cab Frontier that I bought new. Has 80K miles on it now and runs great. Only issue I have had is a check engine light that has to do with the vent on the gas tank. I tow a small pop up a camper a dozen times per year - pulls that like it's not even there. I get 18-19mpg on the freeway doing 80+ and 22-24mpg on highways doing ~ 60mph. Towing the camper mentioned above it still gets close to 20mpg. I'd buy another one.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I bought a 2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2 about a year ago and I like it a lot.

I don't foolishly try to pull (or stop with) heavy trailers with it or anything else like that that the truck is not really designed to do, but it is maybe the best riding over the road truck that I've ever owned. And there is more than ample space for 5 adults to travel comfortably. The 4WD option is great for when you want to use it having fun off-road.

I'll probably replace it in a year or so with another one. No complaints here.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by g5m

From the link above -

This is BS. I pull my boat with my Colorado with 0 issues. The truck in the image has a zr2 package (off-road, lighter weight, soft suspension). This is why the tow capacity is low. My regular Colorado has a 7000 pound capacity and the diesel 7600 pounds. This truck was most likely abused. It’s not meant to haul ass off roading with a trailer. It’s not that the truck is a pos it’s the operator. People don’t research what they buy, if he wanted higher towing and off road capabilities he should have gotten a z71 package.

So, it's BS. Just as I figured before even reading the comments. And look at the photos - he's out rock crawling with a trailer on the back

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Have an '05 3/4ton 4x4 diesel Dodge with 6spd manual trans and 200K miles. Starting to get some rust. Even with standard sized tires, can not reach over the sides and pick stuff off the bed floor. Have to go around back, open the tail gate, and snag it.

Also starting to think about a smaller truck for retirement. Something I can reach over the sides, gets better than 18-19mpg. But every time I price out a new Tacoma, or new Ranger, they end up being less than $10k difference than a full size truck. And not enough difference in fuel economy to amount to much. Unless I can snag a low mileage used one for a decent price, not sure that I wouldn't be just as well off with a short bed standard cab 1/2 ton truck? If I could get a 4x4 1/2ton truck that I could reach over the bed rails, I'd be sorely tempted to go that direction.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by g5m

That is NOT good! Damn!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Have an '05 3/4ton 4x4 diesel Dodge with 6spd manual trans and 200K miles. Starting to get some rust. Even with standard sized tires, can not reach over the sides and pick stuff off the bed floor. Have to go around back, open the tail gate, and snag it.

Also starting to think about a smaller truck for retirement. Something I can reach over the sides, gets better than 18-19mpg. But every time I price out a new Tacoma, or new Ranger, they end up being less than $10k difference than a full size truck. And not enough difference in fuel economy to amount to much. Unless I can snag a low mileage used one for a decent price, not sure that I wouldn't be just as well off with a short bed standard cab 1/2 ton truck? If I could get a 4x4 1/2ton truck that I could reach over the bed rails, I'd be sorely tempted to go that direction.

This is exactly how I see it, though the reaching-over-the-bed stuff doesn't concern me. I feel like a smaller truck should be significantly cheaper initially and get better gas mileage. 1 or 2 mpg could show up as the difference between two identical trucks. IOW I want like 5 mpg difference before I go smaller.

I did go smaller with the wife's SUV and daughter's also. Wife has a 2007 Mountaineer and daughter has an Explorer a year older. Before that we had Yukon's for several years. There are advantages although if I hit the Powerball and was buying brand-new I'd probably go with the bigger SUV. The smaller ones sure are easier to maneuver though and even though we've got old-school garages designed for full-size vehicles, the Explorer size is a lot easier to get in and out and leaves you more room to walk around.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Truck opinions are like which is better looking. Blonde, brunette or redhead. They all have their pros and cons but for a smaller truck it's tough to beat a Tacoma. My 09 has a hair under 250k and ive literally only replaced front hubs and bearings.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My colorado z71 crewcab has 194,000 miles and runs great. Had to replace the manifold pipe on it last month .thats the only major thing ive. Done to it sense 2004. Still gets 21-23 mpg on the highway,18 around town. Great truck-car . Towed with it a lot. I dont like the looks of the new ones and they are no longer a true small truck. Look to much like a fuggin toyota for me. Screw japanese auto’s.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
That bent frame looks real bad, What kind of steel did they use in it, the same type used in a clothing store for racks?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by srwshooter
My colorado z71 crewcab has 194,000 miles and runs great. Had to replace the manifold pipe on it last month .thats the only major thing ive. Done to it sense 2004. Still gets 21-23 mpg on the highway,18 around town. Great truck-car . Towed with it a lot. I dont like the looks of the new ones and they are no longer a true small truck. Look to much like a fuggin toyota for me. Screw japanese auto’s.

You have the older Colorado not the new POS.

Toyota has a very high return on its CEO\'s compensation.
Last year, Toyota CEO Akio Toyoda earned $1.9 million in direct compensation from the automaker that bears his family name. By industry standards, that makes him something of a high-level executive, not the chief of one of the world's largest global brands.

Toyoda earns a mere fraction of what fellow CEOs at large automakers take home - in fact, Bloomberg says that his $1.9 million is less than one tenth of the $21 million Ford CEO Alan Mulally earned in 2012. Despite that relatively low figure, Toyoda actually took home 35 percent more in 2012 than he did the year prior.

Salaries of the five largest automakers' CEOs (2012 compensation)

Alan Mulally - Ford Motor Company - $21 million

Martin Winterkorn - Volkswagen - $19 million

Dieter Zetsche - Daimler - $14.5 million

Dan Akerson - General Motors - $11 million

Akio Toyoda - Toyota - $1.9 million

Now isn't that very embarassing LMFAO?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by srwshooter

You have the older Colorado not the new POS.

Toyota has a very high return on its CEO\'s compensation.
Last year, Toyota CEO Akio Toyoda earned $1.9 million in direct compensation from the automaker that bears his family name. By industry standards, that makes him something of a high-level executive, not the chief of one of the world's largest global brands.

Toyoda earns a mere fraction of what fellow CEOs at large automakers take home - in fact, Bloomberg says that his $1.9 million is less than one tenth of the $21 million Ford CEO Alan Mulally earned in 2012. Despite that relatively low figure, Toyoda actually took home 35 percent more in 2012 than he did the year prior.

Salaries of the five largest automakers' CEOs (2012 compensation)

Alan Mulally - Ford Motor Company - $21 million

Martin Winterkorn - Volkswagen - $19 million

Dieter Zetsche - Daimler - $14.5 million

Dan Akerson - General Motors - $11 million

Akio Toyoda - Toyota - $1.9 million

Now isn't that very embarassing LMFAO?

Having too much Toyota bias is embarrassing - unless you're Japanese and live in Japan.

Base salary doesn't mean anything, total compensation - including deferred compensation such as stock options gives a clearer picture of how an executive is compensated. Also, I suspect little Akio has a healthy stake in the company his grandfather founded, meaning he's likely getting a lot of money in the form of dividends on the stock he and his family own.

Last edited by walt501; 06/23/19.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That bent frame looks real bad, What kind of steel did they use in it, the same type used in a clothing store for racks?

See my comment above regarding rock crawling with a trailer. Oh wait, you likely already read it, but just want to pass around a big out glass of hateraid against your own countries products. Pathetic.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

503 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,438 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,320
Posts18,487,400
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.