Print Thread
Hop To
X
Xs247 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
X
I’m building a rifle using a B&C M40 stock. I have a medium Palma barrel, and there is a bit of contact where the barrel begins to taper down in front of the chamber. I’ve heard of people sanding in this area to relieve this contact, are their any tips/best practices I should keep in mind before I get started?

GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I’m currently doing this with a stock as well.

I taped the barrel. Installed action screws. Rear fully tight. Front lose. Emery cloth under the barrel. Using barrel as a guide, emery until it floats.

The more to remove, the slower the process.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I've did a couple , I used deepwell sockets [mechanic tools] - sandpaper wrapped around them .

Main thing is take you time easing the barreled action in and out for test fits often . It's easy to get going too deep in the barrel channel [under the barrel] so keep that in mind .

Start at the chamber area and work your way up .

Blue tape the edge of the stock where the barrel channel starts give it a lite coat of flat black paint the length of the barrel channel - that gives it a nice factory look .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I do as ol_mike, use deep sockets, adjust the socket size, and sometimes two layers of paper to get the fit right. Just stroke it up and down the barrel channel.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Go to the hardware store and pick up a few peices of dowelrod a couple of sizes larger and smaller than what your Barrel is. Wrap with sandpaper and it is done perfectly in no time. Have done dozens like this and works everytime.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'm another that uses deep sockets. Go slow and careful and stop and check pretty often.

lightman
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Do what outdoorag said. Keep going full length so as to stay with the barrel contour. Should have at least a business card thickness between barrel and stock. Even a little more won't hurt .

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I also have used the deep socket method. Works well.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Another vote for the deep socket method.

Your mind is your primary weapon. Never let it get rusty.

Endowment Member NRA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can even do the deep socket method to take off most of the cut, then tape the barrel with wide vinyl tape and do the sandpaper strip method with loose action screws to get a uniform gap.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HTDUCK
Another vote for the deep socket method.

Yep, one more.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I got that 30-06 in 1982 and I put a Bartlein barrel it to to convert to 280AI in 2018.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Clark, you lapped the channel smaller?

abusus non tollit usum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He must have run the lap backwards....

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, I made the mating radius smaller, so the action screws could secure it from rolling in reaction to barrel twist in recoil.

This is like when I make pillars, I make the mating radius undersized so they act as V block [force multipliers as my gun designer father called them].

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks, makes sense.

abusus non tollit usum
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
I’m currently doing this with a stock as well.

I taped the barrel. Installed action screws. Rear fully tight. Front lose. Emery cloth under the barrel. Using barrel as a guide, emery until it floats.

The more to remove, the slower the process.

You tape the barrel , put rear action screw in tight - loose front screw - start at the barrel lug using strips of sand paper [how wide?] and move forward as barrel falls into place ?

Thoughts on bedding a small amount in front of recoil lug ? Anybody do it ?
I bedded my M. Coleman 22-250 with 1/2'' bed in front - shoots great .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Xs247
I’m building a rifle using a B&C M40 stock. I have a medium Palma barrel, and there is a bit of contact where the barrel begins to taper down in front of the chamber. I’ve heard of people sanding in this area to relieve this contact, are their any tips/best practices I should keep in mind before I get started?

Yep...sell it while you can and get something good instead.

Hint..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Bedding in front of the lug...you are creating a tuner that changes harmonics. You may get lucky, may not. Barrel heat may change things a bit.

If you want a tuner that works, look at Harrells:

http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/products/tuner-brakes

These tuner brakes are dumb butt simple to tune a barrel in when you are wanting groups below .250.

Tuners are no where near rocket science, not even close.

Mike Ezel of Gunsandgunsmithing makes one hell of a tuner with no brake.

Tuners take a guy from shooting 3/8" groups to groups in the zero's and ones in hurry from hunting rifles.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

220 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 264mag, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 204guy, 32 invisible), 2,459 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,060
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.