Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 29 of 73 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 72 73
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22
[Linked Image]

That white one looks like it might have been retouched at the tip, interesting, nice finds.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
GB4

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TheKid
I hate that you guys got all that rain up there WL205, I know you’ve had more than plenty lately. Should be some new treasures washed out in the arrowhead fields though. We were supposed to get over 5 inches down here in the opposite corner of the state but thankfully only ended up getting about 5 drops. Good luck

Any of you guys have any idea what kind of point the one I posted yesterday is? I can’t find anything in Overstreet or online that really matches it. It’s definitely a beauty whatever it is and one of my better finds.

I've bout chewed thru the bit waiting on last months flood waters to go down. Those buff heads you been pickin got me fired up to look for some on the Arkansas

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I hate that you guys got all that rain up there WL205, I know you’ve had more than plenty lately. Should be some new treasures washed out in the arrowhead fields though. We were supposed to get over 5 inches down here in the opposite corner of the state but thankfully only ended up getting about 5 drops. Good luck

Any of you guys have any idea what kind of point the one I posted yesterday is? I can’t find anything in Overstreet or online that really matches it. It’s definitely a beauty whatever it is and one of my better finds.

Around here it would be almost a form of a St Charles dovetail

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
That’s about what I’ve settled on Renegade. The front doesn’t resemble most St Charles as most examples of them are more convex like a kirk and this one has the Christmas tree shape. The Plevna dovetail looks very similar but I’m a long way from the Tennessee River Valley where they’re usually found

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
2 hours and constant swatting at deer flies and this is all I have to show for it.
[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Deer Flies AND Skeeters are bad here, too....

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Well I’d say you guys did okay. I worked all day and when I got home I was out swatting buffalo gnats and skeeters till dark but I was mowing and not hunting injun rocks.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

That’s about what I’ve settled on Renegade. The front doesn’t resemble most St Charles as most examples of them are more convex like a kirk and this one has the Christmas tree shape. The Plevna dovetail looks very similar but I’m a long way from the Tennessee River Valley where they’re usually found

Regarding uncommon to area ancient artifact finds, is it reasonable that such finds could be from distant ancient travelers, hunting/raiding parties or simple trading with distant individuals/tribes, etc.?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I firmly believe that the “experts” don’t know nearly as much as they think they do when it comes to the distribution and timelines of ancient Americans. Just in the one spot I’ve found point forms and tools that, according to books and scholars range in age from 12,000 to 200 years old. I’ve also found forms that are a good 600-800 miles from their supposed range.

I’m fascinated by the whole hobby/science of artifact hunting but I believe a lot, if not most of whats “known” is pure theory.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I firmly believe that the “experts” don’t know nearly as much as they think they do when it comes to the distribution and timelines of ancient Americans. Just in the one spot I’ve found point forms and tools that, according to books and scholars range in age from 12,000 to 200 years old. I’ve also found forms that are a good 600-800 miles from their supposed range.

I’m fascinated by the whole hobby/science of artifact hunting but I believe a lot, if not most of whats “known” is pure theory.

A lot of truth to that.

There are many variables.

Like you, I have found artifacts Paleo era to Post-archaic period, in one location. But the older were at the bottom and newer at the top, with no mixing in the layers.

Found an Early Triangular point made of jade. Figure that one out, being as it was found far south.

Early man traveled and traded materials and goods much more than most people think.

Found alabates artifacts hundreds of miles from any known source.

Lots of questions unanswered.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Imagine a 500 year old Indian picking up a 1,000 year old knife blade. Think he'd use it?

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

This has been known for a long time, Alibates flint was traded far and wide. It is a very fine grained chert and was actually mined. Remember the plains indians were a migratory people.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Found an obsidian point along the Cumberland about 1/ 4th mile behind the house. That had ta travel a ways from the sources in the west.
The material rock and flakes laying on the ground is mind boggling
Almost sensory overload.
I would say half of the debitage is from 100,s of mile away easy.
It ain't native to around here for sure.
They turn it over deep about every 4 or 5 yrs for tobacco.
Found alot of points down there over the years from dalton's to mississippian stuff and everything in between.

Alot of the established knowledge about era,s, distribution, and types is dated. It puts alot of faith into certain people saying this was that, that was this, this was from then or that place.
And 50 60 70 or more years ago.
Not saying it was inaccurate but some saying something carte blanche and everyone accepting it as gospel. Leads to alot of conjecture.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
My back yard is full of round chert nodules.
Some of it actually is broken up and looks fire treated.
Right behind that spot on the Cumberland 30 yards across a little dirt road is a elevated plateau about 2 acres in size.
Full of BlackBerry briars
Debtiage feild leads right to it.
Almost like what I am hunting is the dump for eons and that plateau
Was the long term habitated spot
Myself and a neighbor have dug a little
1st couple shovels I came up with a busted up dovetail base.
Pita digging. Dont care for it.
Now if I had a backhoe and a big ole flat bed trailer and if the owner would allow it.
I would load yards of dirt and wash that down.

But that ain't happening.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Imagine a 500 year old Indian picking up a 1,000 year old knife blade. Think he'd use it?

Depends on the tribe and their beliefs. But, yes. It's been done.

Some later Indians would rework points and blades from earlier ones.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I'll add a pic

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

This has been known for a long time, Alibates flint was traded far and wide. It is a very fine grained chert and was actually mined. Remember the plains indians were a migratory people.

It was highly valued and prized type of tool material among early native Americans.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

and another

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Two headed snake

this stuff is every where.....if you know where to look

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Bet that guy was pissed when he went to get his bowling ball and that two headed snake was coiled up around it

Page 29 of 73 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 72 73

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

670 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 153, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 70 invisible), 2,722 guests, and 1,429 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,971
Posts18,480,699
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.