Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
163bc Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My .02 on Leupold:

I seem to be always upgrading / updating optics on my rifles, adding some new rifles to the collection here and there and putting new glass on them. I'm a hunter 1st and foremost. Sight in, set and forget is mostly what I do with my rifle scopes. I also enjoy long range shooting from time to time and have a few scopes i can twist if i want to.

I always do a lot of research on optics before I buy. Durability, quality, function and useability are a must haves for me. Leupold always makes my short list when I'm looking for new optics. Over the last 6 months so I have purchased 8 new Leupold scopes. VX-5s, VX3is, and a few long range scopes. Why am i saying this?? Well i was thinking..... I started using Leupold scopes in the early 1980, since then I have always had Leupold optics in my possession and used them regularly. I've used other brands too, some good, some not, and will likely continue to do so. I've had a Leupold or 2 that I didn't care for for different reasons thru the years but overall they are as solid and as dependable as any optic i have ever used. I'm pretty certain my average time spent hunting annually is way above the norm and in doing so I have beaten the absolute hell out of several Leupold scopes but they just kept doing what they were built to do. For full disclosure.... I've had other brands I've used heavily & tortured as well that have held up just fine. However of all my optics usage thru the years I have to say that my Leupolds have particularly shined. One VX-6 in particular has been 4 times to Africa on 2 different rifles, 1 time to Kodiak, spent countless hours banging around in PHs vehicles on safaris in scalding heat, numerous flights on both commercial and bush planes, spend countless hours in the rain all the while banging around in boats on salt water, has had hundreds of practice rounds fired under it in .375 H&H and NEVER let me down. It still sits on my 375 ready to go. Could another scope have done the same? Most likely....

With my near 40 years as a Leupold user I've been reading and watching all the Leupold bashing on this forum with some amusement. It seems to be a sport here on the campfire. Anyone who seems to speak up for Leupold is quickly flamed. I'm sure Leupold has had a few hiccups along the way, every company does at some point, but Leupold ALWAYS stands behind their products without exception. Leupold is a great AMERICAN company that has produced quality products and maintained a high level of quality for decades. They are without a doubt the gold standard in customer service in the optics industry. All other optics manufacturers try to meet the Leupold standard in customer service by which we all win.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Brace, brace, brace for impact...😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
8 new scopes................well when I bought my 8th Leupold, it was messed up.
Sent it back and they fixed it quick, and no probs after.
But the first I bought years before, was bad. So that's 2 out of 8 (they replaced it pretty quick- no probs with that one).

Yeah that was over a 15 yr period, but 2 out of 8 is pretty horrible %.

Been a few new and used since, no probs..........up until this yr.
Two of the Freedom optics.

RDS has reflection of diode holder on lens. Makes a 1 MOA dot into a 3 MOA halo/dot.

EFR 3-9X has some haze, warp all the way around outside edge of lens.

So.................not a fan of the Freedom stuff.
May send both back for repair.

Proly still get a 3.5-10X VX3i and be the last new scope I'll buy from anybody. Am pretty well set up.

Last edited by hookeye; 06/26/19.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Got no complaints with the CS.
Like the older scopes for looks.
A 6X AO might be one to hunt for.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 163bc
My .02 on Leupold:

I seem to be always upgrading / updating optics on my rifles, adding some new rifles to the collection here and there and putting new glass on them. I'm a hunter 1st and foremost. Sight in, set and forget is mostly what I do with my rifle scopes. I also enjoy long range shooting from time to time and have a few scopes i can twist if i want to.

I always do a lot of research on optics before I buy. Durability, quality, function and useability are a must haves for me. Leupold always makes my short list when I'm looking for new optics. Over the last 6 months so I have purchased 8 new Leupold scopes. VX-5s, VX3is, and a few long range scopes. Why am i saying this?? Well i was thinking..... I started using Leupold scopes in the early 1980, since then I have always had Leupold optics in my possession and used them regularly. I've used other brands too, some good, some not, and will likely continue to do so. I've had a Leupold or 2 that I didn't care for for different reasons thru the years but overall they are as solid and as dependable as any optic i have ever used. I'm pretty certain my average time spent hunting annually is way above the norm and in doing so I have beaten the absolute hell out of several Leupold scopes but they just kept doing what they were built to do. For full disclosure.... I've had other brands I've used heavily & tortured as well that have held up just fine. However of all my optics usage thru the years I have to say that my Leupolds have particularly shined. One VX-6 in particular has been 4 times to Africa on 2 different rifles, 1 time to Kodiak, spent countless hours banging around in PHs vehicles on safaris in scalding heat, numerous flights on both commercial and bush planes, spend countless hours in the rain all the while banging around in boats on salt water, has had hundreds of practice rounds fired under it in .375 H&H and NEVER let me down. It still sits on my 375 ready to go. Could another scope have done the same? Most likely....

With my near 40 years as a Leupold user I've been reading and watching all the Leupold bashing on this forum with some amusement. It seems to be a sport here on the campfire. Anyone who seems to speak up for Leupold is quickly flamed. I'm sure Leupold has had a few hiccups along the way, every company does at some point, but Leupold ALWAYS stands behind their products without exception. Leupold is a great AMERICAN company that has produced quality products and maintained a high level of quality for decades. They are without a doubt the gold standard in customer service in the optics industry. All other optics manufacturers try to meet the Leupold standard in customer service by which we all win.

I stand with 163bc.

My experience dates back a bit further (late 1970's), however I've never had a bad one. Out of dozens of Leupolds, I have sent back 2 over the years, including one I bought here on the fire that was quite old that I recently sent for a "checkup" (which came back with a perfect bill of health - free of any service charge- detailed in the Leupold technician's report).

Are Leupolds infallible? Heck no. They are a man made item, and therefore can and will fail. Its just that in my experience they have a comfortable and reassuring (to me at least) tendency not to fail. And when the chips are down....

Yeah, I have and use others (always trying things out) but all my first tier hunting rifles that wear a scope wear Leupolds.

So to the sneerers, I'd never say you don't know what you are talking about. Rather, your opinions don't match mine, earned in 5 decades of experience.

And no, I'm not about to shift my eyes to the next shiny object that comes around. Leupolds have earned their place with me.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My .02 on Leupold:

+1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by winchester70
My .02 on Leupold:

+1

+2

And you will also be flamed for not agreeing with the 'self-proclaimed' expert's choices.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Got my first Leupold in 1979. Used...... An early 60's straight 12x for a varmint rifle. Still got it with nary a problem. Since then I've accumulated 8 or 9 more. Have never sent one back or had a problem. I've never been a turret twister, as they generally are in "set and forget" mode, because excessive adjusting accelerates wear, or so I've always heard.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm with 163bc on this one-
I have been hunting big game for over 4 decades, mostly with rifles, although archery and muzzleloader equipment have taken their share. During that time, I have used a few made by Weaver and Burris, as well as many Leupolds.
My choice of scope has been overwhelmingly of the Leupold brand. Rifles have ranged from a .416 Weatherby to .22 Hornet. Never, not once, have I had to return a scope to Leupold for repair, or any failure to hold zero. Any mechanical device can fail, but I have always been amazed at the durability of Leupold's scopes in the field, often under hard use. Horseback scabbards, airplane struts inside a Kolpin in Alaska, racks on the front of ATV's, Land Rovers in Africa, countless airline trips to foreign countries, two dangerous game hunts for Lion and Buffalo, a Grand Slam of North American sheep- Leupolds on every rifle used for these hunts.
I don't deliberately abuse scopes, they are after all, not open sights.

It seems the sport of Leupold bashing on this forum has gained in popularity, so much so that the sponsor of the forum has joined in! Curious- one would think he would want to sell his scopes, not run them down.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My .02 on Leupold:

My experience as well.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+4

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Lots of "experts" on here have never even used a Leupold but they still had problems with one. I mean some of the guys claiming every Leupold scope goes bad are paid by some other scope company. Nice try!

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by peeshooter
Lots of "experts" on here have never even used a Leupold but they still had problems with one. I mean some of the guys claiming every Leupold scope goes bad are paid by some other scope company. Nice try!

Sure...

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Laffin.....

Ever wonder why EVERYONE knows about Leupold’s “Great Customer Service?”...... probably because EVERYONE has had to use it. I bet Leupold has the hardest working repair division in the optics world.... but they’re also incredibly “reliable”? Weird.....

I have no f’n clue what SWFA or Nightforce’s “Customer Service” is like.... because in 15 years of using their stuff.... I’ve never needed “Customer Service”...

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Laffin.....

Ever wonder why EVERYONE knows about Leupold’s “Great Customer Service?”...... probably because EVERYONE has had to use it. I bet Leupold has the hardest working repair division in the optics world.... but they’re also incredibly “reliable”? Weird.....

I have no f’n clue what SWFA or Nightforce’s “Customer Service” is like.... because in 15 years of using their stuff.... I’ve never needed “Customer Service”...

On another thread, we were discussing the Zeiss Conquest. I have several. I wrote that I heard Zeiss had good CS. But I've never use it.

The best CS is the CS you never need.

Leupold CS is good, but I do know that first hand.

DF

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have had 2 scope fail me. One a Bushnell Banner and the other an old Leupold from the late 60s or early 70s. And yes the CS was excellent.

I haven't really got into turret twisting (the biggest complaints I hear about them.) More of a set and forget guy. The Leupolds I have had work season to season in all kinds of weather. Even fallen with some, but they didn't lose zero.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
60 pages

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It's all made up by guys working for the competition that never used a Leupold! LOL

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
163bc Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Laffin.....

You'll need em eventually its just a matter of time. Do a google search on SWFA scope failures or Nightforce scope failures.... there are more than enough to keep their respective customer service depts plenty busy.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Laffin.....

You'll need em eventually its just a matter of time. Do a google search on SWFA scope failures or Nightforce scope failures.... there are more than enough to keep their respective customer service depts plenty busy.

Numbers matter.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (anothergun, Amos63, 300_savage, 257robertsimp, 13 invisible), 1,682 guests, and 905 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,448
Posts18,528,828
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.