Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
It’s fun to kill exotic game if you don’t have to pay a fortune to do it.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Dub that is a beauty and looks to be a Corsican/Mouflon cross. But on some ranches the sheep are so mixed up it is hard to tell.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by hanco

Ain't that the truth? When I started hunting with an Outfitter for exotics,1995, I made an inquiry to Thompson Temples bunch. Got a "coupon" for a ram for $150. I went with a friend, got a ram ( Corsican/Mouflon cross) and disgusted with how they ran the business. won't go into detail, but sought out another fellow, Dan Moody and he had access to ranches with more acres, more game, and better prices. I paid something like $300 for ewes of Blackbuck & axis. $800 for bucks of either, no matter how big! It was very affordable as I went to Texas on business and to see family a couple times a year then. It gave me "an excuse" to take the meat ( Axis & Blackbuck, etc, no rams!) to my folks. smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tejano
Dub that is a beauty and looks to be a Corsican/Mouflon cross. But on some ranches the sheep are so mixed up it is hard to tell.

[Linked Image]

There were a lot to choose from before we started thinning them out. It used to be an every day thing for them to just camp out under my feeder. Now they don't seem to bother it as much. I can hear them bawling on the lease next door all the time. One guy on that lease complained about them ruining his season and he didn't want to shoot them during deer season. I told him to let me know when he wasn't going to be out there and I'd go in and wear them out for him. He didn't like that idea either.

Last edited by DubThomas; 06/21/19.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love hunting them actually. They don't hang around very long when they see you.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

even better if you don't have to pay at all!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by geedubya

even better if you don't have to pay at all!

ya!

GWB

I do have to pay a lease fee, but I've got year round access so it's a pretty good deal.

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Our lease is year around also, I kill more damn pigs than anything else. I really enjoy trapping them. I need to build another round pen and gate.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I miss living in Texas! smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Our lease is year around also, I kill more damn pigs than anything else. I really enjoy trapping them. I need to build another round pen and gate.

We had a pig explosion last year. I'm not sure if it was all of the rain pushed them out of the creek beds or what, but my gawd, we had the pigs. My fiance killed 4 with two going over 300 lbs. and I killed 6 with my largest going over 300. All of the pigs she killed were single boars. I killed 3 at one stand in about 30 minutes. I'd killed one and then the feeder went off and they came back within 10 minutes. Killed another and they came back AGAIN! That's the first time they've done that on this lease. Killed the third one and watched a huge sounder run off to my left with at least 20 of the football size piglets. I've decided I need something full auto.

I hunt western Val Verde and Terrell County. Most of the ranchers to the south of us near Pumpville had no idea there were hogs in the area. They thought I meant javelinas. Until I showed them some pictures.

IC B3

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
You need a big round pen to trap a bunch of them. Shooting a few will never kill them out.

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I miss living in Texas! smile

I bet you don’t miss the heat.!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You need a big round pen to trap a bunch of them. Shooting a few will never kill them out.

Believe me, I've thought about it! The problem is I live 247 miles one way from the lease and I'm only out there about one weekend every 3 months. I haven't been out since the last of February this year.

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
I keep my feeders going year round, I set traps when I go out there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We feed year round as well. In fact, I'm headed out there the last weekend of this month. I've thought about getting a trap or two and setting them up and not arming them until I'm there. I may have to try it because it's getting ridiculous.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't know about their heritage, but the "Mouflons"I see occasionally on the driven-hunt videos I watch seem to run at least as fast as all the other stuff. Seems a bit odd to see curly-horned rams running through hardwood forest. Must be pricey because it's seldom one is seen in the game pile they always show at the end.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I see that I responded to this thread back in June....here is the Iberian Mouflon I had mentioned. I thought it was a great hunt, and on par with the average deer or antelope hunt, or even elk for that matter, other than not needing to hike so far.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Tiny,that's a beautiful sweater on that ram.I think I 've asked about taxi work before,but did you tan that or anything?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
He's being shoulder mounted. I'm not big into mounts, as 99% of my antlers and horns are hanging in the barn but I felt this guy was fun enough to hunt, with a nice enough coat to mount.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Should make for an incredible mount,post it up when he's done..

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 219DW, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,528 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,201
Posts18,485,216
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.