Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Back in the day we used to dump a 5 cent bag of Planters Peanuts in a bottle of Dr. Pepper.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I still do that sometimes.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I no longer drink soft drinks, but in the day A Dr. Pepper was the best antacid there was. Bloated from too large a lunch? A few gulps of Dr. Pepper, huge burps & relief soon to follow.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wife loves Dr. Pepper. Dublin was best. Real sugar in the green cans is better than the cornhole Dr. Pecker. I'm addicted to a Frozen Dr. Pepper every day, reconstituted several times with Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper's.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Back in the day we used to dump a 5 cent bag of Planters Peanuts in a bottle of Dr. Pepper.

I first saw that happen at Fort Benning, Ga. in 1966, I then understood why the South lost the Civil War.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Roger, could you take a picture so I can have my wife pick up some?

You get it at HEB?

Both HEB & United Grocery’s dell it here. It’s the only Dr Pepper I’ll drink anymore.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by poboy
Mom used to heat up the Dublin pure cane stuff and squeeze a little lemon in it.
My place was 12 miles from Dublin. Another 8 miles would get you to the beer store.

Drive through there every once in a while Mike.
It’s a Museum and old fashioned soda fountain now.
They make a knock off version they bottle and sell, but it’s not the same. Used to drive through there just to buy several cases of it back in the good ole days. I think that beer store is still there though.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
N
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
N
Diet Dr. Pepper is my thing. Don't drink coffee in the morning (or ever) I start the day with a couple of Diet Dr. Peppers.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 16bore
Have a Pibb, Mr.....

Holy 80s flashback.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think I remember this correctly. The Dublin Dr. Pepper plant was the oldest bottler in the country. They were a franchise of Dr. Pepper and have always bottled DP using pure cane sugar. They had an assigned geographic area of distribution. The original formula was very popular and they were selling outside of their area. Dr. Pepper sued and Dublin lost its DP franchise and they started bottling some terrible things like grape and orange sodas. I had friends and relatives who lived nearby and would ship me a cases of Dublin DP, I think it tastes better. There are pure cane sugar DP's out there but I've found them hard to find. I don't know if the Dublin plant is still in operation. Without Castro none of this would be an issue. Since Castro, we've built a alternative sugar industry. I often wonder if pure cane is cheaper to produce than beets and corn and if some magic happened and Cuba came into favor how would all that play out in a competition between alternative sugars and cane sugars. I still like my sodas with cane sugar.

The older I get the better I was.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by chickasaw_hunter
I think I remember this correctly. The Dublin Dr. Pepper plant was the oldest bottler in the country. They were a franchise of Dr. Pepper and have always bottled DP using pure cane sugar. They had an assigned geographic area of distribution. The original formula was very popular and they were selling outside of their area. Dr. Pepper sued and Dublin lost its DP franchise and they started bottling some terrible things like grape and orange sodas. I had friends and relatives who lived nearby and would ship me a cases of Dublin DP, I think it tastes better. There are pure cane sugar DP's out there but I've found them hard to find. I don't know if the Dublin plant is still in operation..

You are correct on all of the above. The schitt they bottle now, their “home brew” stuff knockoff brand ain’t the same.
Like I mentioned two posts above, it’s a soda fountain & Museum you can tour now. They aren’t allowed to make or bottle Dr Pepper.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I was walking through Walmart a few days ago and noticed they had 6 packs of Dr Pepper in glass bottles, they looked like the old time bottles, but I just glanced as I walked by. I gave up sodas quite awhile back and dont miss them at all.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Flaming Dr Peppers are better than the the sugar or corn syrup ones.

What the heck is Flaming Dr Peppers?

I would google it but not sure if I dare at work! lol

Shot of amaretto with some bacardi 151 on top. light the 151, drop the shot glass in a glass of beer and chug. The last thing you get is the amaretto, tastes just like Dr. Pepper. They'll mess you up because it doesn't taste like your drinking alcohol.

Gotcha.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by Rooster7
Flaming Dr Peppers are better than the the sugar or corn syrup ones.

What the heck is Flaming Dr Peppers?

I would google it but not sure if I dare at work! lol

Shot of amaretto with some bacardi 151 on top. light the 151, drop the shot glass in a glass of beer and chug. The last thing you get is the amaretto, tastes just like Dr. Pepper. They'll mess you up because it doesn't taste like your drinking alcohol.

Yes, the infamous ‘flaming shot’.

But, one should be very careful (and sober). Friend wound up in the emergency room with second degree burns on his neck and chest after a mishap while attempting this stunt with a double-shot of Wild Turkey.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Kellywk
Was it a dublin dr. pepper? Lady I used to work with woudl drive through there and bring a couple of cases to the office, but i heard that Dr. Pepper corporate bought that franchise as was changing it out to corn syrup

It was the Snapple corporate biggies who didn't like the Dublin designation on the bottle and not the real sugar content, iirc. Had my last Dr. Pepper when that happened.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember that U.S. law required a certain amount of cane sugar in all novelties (including ice cream and soft drinks). Ronald Reagan did away with that law in the '80s.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
you know why dr pepper comes in a bottle?

cause his wife died.

you know why dr pepper comes in a can?

cause he's turned queer after his wife died.

My diploma is a DD214
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
I buy the Walmart knockoff called Dr Thunder...but it's Diet.

It's surprisingly good and 5 bucks a case.

I wouldn’t say it’s good...but it ain’t bad!

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by stxhunter
we're lucky in that we can buy mescan coke at HEB, glass bottles and cane sugar.

Mexican sodas are about the only ones I drink nowadays. Jarritos mostly, Tamarindo, Piña, and such. Real sugar stuff.

I do enjoy a Pepper now and again.

None of the sodas taste as good as they did, especially Fresca when they took the cyclamates out of it.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1234, 17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,325 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,517
Posts18,490,943
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.