-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I might need to get one forged, or have a new handle welded on.
Who on the fire does that?
My old go to 'Smith is long parted this world.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have many done by Dan Armstrong.
http://accu-tig.com/
Pictures are available tomorrow afternoon if needed.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I do both- - - - -got the forging blocks and a home-machined copper heat sink instead of the Mickey Mouse aluminum one sold by Brownell's and Midway, and I also cut and weld on occasion. There's a lot less stress on the bolt if the handle gets formed and shaped first, then TIG welded onto the bolt body. Forging first, then welding is the only way I've found to do fancy stuff like a butterknife, BTW. Be sure the fill rod is capable of being polished and/or blued without leaving a visible weld line.
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
A c0uple fr0m Dan. Having t0 use the 0 f0rm the number line, please excuse.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i49.tinypic.com/vpht1h.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i51.tinypic.com/2d8ks0.jpg[/img]

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That's some beautiful work.
I'm looking at starting with just a simple job like altering the bolt handle on my Yugo plonker.
That bolt handle on the military needs to be brought down a good bit.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by John_Boy
That's some beautiful work.
I'm looking at starting with just a simple job like altering the bolt handle on my Yugo plonker.
That bolt handle on the military needs to be brought down a good bit.

Y0u still need t0 get ith Dan. Very reas0nable and quick.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
If you're planning on scoping it, you'll also need to file a slot in the receiver inline with the bottom of the bolt handle. Simply bending the handle down without slotting the receiver severely limits the diameter of the ocular lens you can use, or you'll need to use very tall scope rings to avoid bolt/scope interference.
Jerry

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Roger that.
I want his opinion on what style to use.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hotrod,
I hear you.
I've done a couple myself years ago. Sold all the gear and don't want buy again.
So, it's time to let someone else do it.....

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I did a couple in recent years by first turning copies of the Oberndorf-style bolt handle on my lathe, then cutting/welding. Getting the angles right on both pieces before TIG-ing so as to allow scope clearance was a hair pulling experience but the end results justified it. I'm kinda wishing I had made copious notes/drawings of exactly the lengths/angles I ended up with, but I'm an idiot sometimes. If I did another one I would be re-inventing the wheel yet again, but you can bet I'll be able to exactly repeat it if I ever do another one after that. (Or not grin )

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The holding jig sold by Midway and a couple of other gunsmith tooling suppliers is a really handy thing to have. It allows for precise positioning of the bolt body and the handle so they can be tack-welded and checked for fit and function before committing to the final weld. Once the finish welding is done, then you can heat, bend, and shape the handle into whatever configuration floats your boat. Just make sure you have enough of a heat sink attached to keep the heat away from the locking lugs and preserve the hardness they need to avoid premature wear and headspace changes.
Jerry

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I did a couple in recent years by first turning copies of the Oberndorf-style bolt handle on my lathe, then cutting/welding. Getting the angles right on both pieces before TIG-ing so as to allow scope clearance was a hair pulling experience but the end results justified it. I'm kinda wishing I had made copious notes/drawings of exactly the lengths/angles I ended up with, but I'm an idiot sometimes. If I did another one I would be re-inventing the wheel yet again, but you can bet I'll be able to exactly repeat it if I ever do another one after that. (Or not grin )

Originally Posted by gnoahhh

I made a jig after I found the angles I liked so I can repeat it easily. I can remove the plate for an angled back handle.
Don

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
A c0uple fr0m Dan. Having t0 use the 0 f0rm the number line, please excuse.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i49.tinypic.com/vpht1h.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i51.tinypic.com/2d8ks0.jpg[/img]

Just gorgeous! I'd almost be afraid to take one of those afield. Almost......

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by DonMarkey

I made a jig after I found the angles I liked so I can repeat it easily. I can remove the plate for an angled back handle.
Don

[Linked Image]

Nice piece of work. Thank you.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Well designed fixture especially the clamping arrangement.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

180 members (6MMWASP, 2500HD, 358wsm, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 24 invisible), 2,057 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,903
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.