Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Every time I go out to pee after dark, I normally see up to 5 at one time.

About four days ago, Space X launched 24 more.

Won't be long & the night sky will look like the freeway at quitting time.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Skyguide, I’ll look it up.

Yeah, it's way cool. I have been using it for a few years & really enjoy it.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
If I'm wrong , I'm wrong.
Now I'm totally confused
One refers to other it seems.
What is what???
And I jumped birdwatchers chitt unwarrantedly.
Sorry if that is the case Birdwatcher.
I will send ya a bag box of 10 buck chuck wine as a gesture of
goodwill for my fellow man.

Rocky Raab our space SME needs ta chime in case postage might put me out beyond my 12 buck apology budget

Ok now that I went and did Google fu

I am completely confused but more educated .
Thanks for prompting me to research more Birdwatcher!!!
That's part of what teachers do!!!
cool

Spacecraft can enter orbit around Earth, its Moon, other planets in the Solar System, or the Sun, to provide in-depth studies of the object of interest. Most spacecraft have prograde orbits, that is they move from west to east, which is the usual direction of rotation of objects in our Solar System (although there are exceptions, such as planet Venus).

Low-Earth orbit
A low-Earth orbit (LEO) is the lowest altitude a spacecraft must achieve to orbit the Earth – at least 160 km.  Spacecraft in these orbits circle our planet once every ninety minutes or so. The International Space Station and the Hubble Space Telescope are both in LEO.

Geostationary and geosynchronous orbits
A geostationary or geosynchronous orbit is located at an altitude of 36,000 km, and takes a lot more energy to reach than LEO. At this higher altitude it takes the satellite a full 24 hours to orbit the Earth. Thus, the satellite moves at the same speed as the Earth rotates. Geostationary satellites are those orbiting above the equator in a circular orbit – they appear to ‘hover’ in the sky over the same spot on the ground. Geosynchronous satellites are not positioned over the equator or have an elliptical orbit and so appear to move across the sky. These types of satellites are typically communications or weather satellites, for example ESA’s Meteosat family of weather satellites operate in geostationary orbit.

Polar orbit
A polar orbit is any orbit in which the spacecraft passes over the rotation poles of the planet. In a polar orbit, the spacecraft can be made to follow any line of longitude. As the Earth rotates below the satellite, the satellite passes over a different region of the planet with each orbit. Polar orbits are used to map a planet – ESA’s Mars Express and Venus Express both have elliptical, polar orbits – or to observe specific effects relating to polar regions, such as Cluster observing the Sun-Earth interaction.

Sun-synchronous orbit
An orbit that passes over the same part of Earth at the same local time each day is called Sun-synchronous. ESA’s Proba-2 is situated in a Sun-synchronous orbit.

Last edited by renegade50; 06/27/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tpcollins

If it’s geosynchronous orbit, you won’t see it move.

It was more fun before he was corrected, you're crushing his psychotic thoughts of being the beholder of "super internet powers" and having capabilities of "raising others blood pressures" from afar...

And worst yet, now he's posting again...

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
We sit out quite often. Dozens and like you said moving south to north.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Geosynchronous and geostationary mean the same thing. Those satellites are directly above the equator at an altitude of 23,000+ miles. They'd appear stationary if you could see them (think about your TV dish) but they're far too distant to be seen.

Satellites in low orbit can be seen for about an hour at dawn and dusk, when the observer is in the dark, but the satellite is high enough to still be in sunlight. The Space Station, being the largest thing up there, is the easiest to see, but smaller satellites like Iridium telephone satellites are more numerous and thus seen often. Iridiums also tend to flash as the sun reflects off their shiny parts like solar panels.

The rest of the night, satellites are invisible because they are in darkness - and none carry lights.

I use this WEBSITE It tells me there are 1,950 objects in my sky right now, and that the ISS will pass over in 45 minutes. But none will be visible because it's now daylight.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's a really good site for skywatching" HavensAbove

Give it your lat/lon and among about everything you'd want you can get a list of visible satellites with when and where to look. You'll find much of the best is space junk, like boosters. You can set up an account which basically saves your location so you don;t have to type it in every time.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I'm wrong , I'm wrong.
Now I'm totally confused
One refers to other it seems.
What is what???

Just STFU, you're in over your head.

Calm down, take a deep breath and focus on what you were taught.

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
We see bunches of them.

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I musta been out of the loop.

It’s not very often I lay out while evening turns into dark skies, and my reference point for living under dark skies is Africa 30 years ago,

Holy crap it sure seemed there were a bunch of satellites, one every few minutes, all moving at geostationary orbit speed. Had a flash from one which was pretty cool,

Far more than I recall from thirty years ago when there often weren’t much to do other than watch the sky.

A good many this evening seemed to be moving south to north. Looked at em through binocs, just points of light no aircraft navigation lights.

How many satellites can you see in an evening anymore?
You can stay awake long enough for it to get dark??? Wow... laugh

Only ones I can remember seeing were the old Echo sats from the '60s... Had two of 'em timed to basically cross each other around 12:30 am somewhere between Hong Kong and the Philippines.. That was the time I was one of the lookouts stationed on the bridge of the sub back in early '68..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by akasparky
Originally Posted by tpcollins

If it’s geosynchronous orbit, you won’t see it move.

It was more fun before he was corrected, you're crushing his psychotic thoughts of being the beholder of "super internet powers" and having capabilities of "raising others blood pressures" from afar...

And worst yet, now he's posting again...

Hmmmm????
Some of comments and snippets you grabbed.
Rent free in your head obviously.
Draw you out like the stuff you mentioned the other day on the bottom of your sneakers.

Who ever you are, 05 with 515 post.
You been around awhile.
LMFAO!!!!

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Geosynchronous and geostationary mean the same thing. Those satellites are directly above the equator at an altitude of 23,000+ miles. They'd appear stationary if you could see them (think about your TV dish) but they're far too distant to be seen.

Satellites in low orbit can be seen for about an hour at dawn and dusk, when the observer is in the dark, but the satellite is high enough to still be in sunlight. The Space Station, being the largest thing up there, is the easiest to see, but smaller satellites like Iridium telephone satellites are more numerous and thus seen often. Iridiums also tend to flash as the sun reflects off their shiny parts like solar panels.

The rest of the night, satellites are invisible because they are in darkness - and none carry lights.

I use this WEBSITE It tells me there are 1,950 objects in my sky right now, and that the ISS will pass over in 45 minutes. But none will be visible because it's now daylight.

Thank you man.
I'm still confused somewhat.
So basically all the other orbit types can sometimes be seen within limits of the eye within reason of distance and angle stuff.
I will just think about stuff about on terra firma for now, until the kinetic energy wpns start coming down hard.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There's not enough to suit me. Just think how inspiring it would be if all the dementedcrat party leaders were in orbit too!

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Nice!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
There's not enough to suit me. Just think how inspiring it would be if all the dementedcrat party leaders were in orbit too!

Free schit from orbit on huge video screens proclaiming it to the world.

What a fugging nightmare.......

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Here's a link hover your mouse on a 'dot' and it shows the orbit, ZOOM in and you see them move

and another

https://heavens-above.com/main.aspx

Last edited by muffin; 06/27/19.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Thank you man.
So basically all the other orbit types can sometimes be seen within limits of the eye within reason of distance and angle stuff.
I will just think about stuff about on terra firma for now, until the kinetic energy wpns start coming down hard.

Oh, so you was wrong then........

To quote my then-young neice when taunting her nerdy older brother one day about his inability to ride a skateboard......

“Loooooser....... LOOOOOOSER!”

I have no idea why that quote came to mind.

See? Ain’t that more fun than all that gracious apology crap? grin

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

Thank you man.

Oh, so you was wrong then........

To quote my then-young neice when taunting her nerdy older brother one day about his inability to ride a skateboard......

“Loooooser....... LOOOOOOSER!”

I have no idea why that quote came to mind.

See? Ain’t that more fun than all that gracious apology crap? grin

Well now that I ate some humble pie I geuss.
Even though what you said was probably wrong also from all the posting also as far as I can figure.
And now ya wanna hurt my little feelings crazy grin laugh
I'm not sending you a box of 10 buck chuck now.
Probably best for you that I dont.
I might have injected it with a schitload of liquid exlax real carefully.

whistle laugh

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
”Looooooser...... LOOOOOOOOSER!”

Dammit! There it went again.......

Who’d a thunk the words of a six year old could have such a far-reaching impact?

Anyhoo... gotta run, I have a bicycle to ride.....

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Free schit from orbit on huge video screens proclaiming it to the world.

What a fugging nightmare.......

You thought I want them in space suits or stations? Quite the contrary...

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

499 members (12344mag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 39 invisible), 2,193 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,127
Posts18,483,847
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.