Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 49 1 2 3 4 5 6 48 49
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Enjoy the trip birdie,

Don't stop to look for oddball feathered friends or you'll not make the miles you want wink

Stay safe,

Geno

Bell's and Hutton's Vireos kicking in the further west I get, still hearing painted buntings. Orchard Oriole, Summer Tanager, Yellow-throated Vireo, Red-eyed Vireo and East Wood Peewee all singing at the campsite, its getting pretty far West for them last three.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jcubed
Once cycled from Seattle to DC...had to buy new pants whrn I got done.

Be safe out there on the road. If you get to Mt, shoot me a message.

Will do, Seattle-DC ain't nothing to sneeze at.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
A testament to the brevity of life....

If I coulda been here some years earlier, THIS guy on the Llano would been my way to paid access.....

[Linked Image]

Note that the likely deceased Mr Keller specifically had a sign up saying he bought old guns.

That and the fact that he had his own working cannon (steel liner in barrel) sparked my interest....

[Linked Image]

I'm sorry I missed the guy.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Great trip and pics, sir. But you grossed me out about driving buttermilk!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Ol’ Crockett Keller is a good fellow! Known him for quite a while. Btw, his Texanishe Deutsch is immpecable!!! Last I spoke with hime was about 6 years ago.

As best I know he’s still kickin’. Drew national attention a few years back

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/05/us/texas-gun-instructors-ad-draws-inquiry.html

Last edited by kaywoodie; 06/26/19.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Great trip and pics, sir. But you grossed me out about drinking buttermilk!

Ya well, not all men are cut out for this sorta thing there Jorge grin

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Ol’ Crockett Keller is a good fellow! Known him for quite a while. Btw, his Texanishe Deutsch is immpecable!!! Last I spoke with hime was about 6 years ago.

As best I know he’s still kickin’. Drew national attention a few years back

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/05/us/texas-gun-instructors-ad-draws-inquiry.html

Ya know Bob, I was thinking you prob'ly knew this guy (the old guys who hang around cannons network wink ) but I didn't know it was THAT guy cool Hope he's doing good.

Anyhoo, on the other side of the river there was a sizeable RV/tent campground that was conspicuously posted "CLOSED, GO AWAY!" or words to that effect. The campground host where I'm at told me that place was soon to host some high zoot jet ski races.

So maybe things are gonna change there.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Well you can always stay under the bridge there. When you get back I have a story to tell you about Crockett, the Llano River bridge ( he owned both sides of property on north bank) and a canoe club that tried to get irate with him and the state. But they just couldn’t. Its kinda funny.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Great trip and pics, sir. But you grossed me out about driving buttermilk!

Buttermilk is nectar of the gods.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Mike,

I would drop back on the water consumption and start drinking more Gatorade. When I was baling 1,500 ac. of alfalfa by myself I couldn’t keep the AC going in the cab because of all the dust and chaff plugging the fins. Even with both doors and the windshield propped open it would still get over 95* any day with the sun out. I couldn’t carry enough water in the cab to keep me hydrated enough to ward off leg cramps. I started carrying two of the large (1.75L) bottles and drinking them and only kept 1 gallon of water in the cab. Stopped the cramps and my stomach wasn’t feeling like a balloon.

Best of luck! Stay safe and thanks for taking us along!

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
A testament to the brevity of life....

If I coulda been here some years earlier, THIS guy on the Llano would been my way to paid access.....

[Linked Image]

Note that the likely deceased Mr Keller specifically had a sign up saying he bought old guns.

That and the fact that he had his own working cannon (steel liner in barrel) sparked my interest....

[Linked Image]

I'm sorry I missed the guy.

How was the llano flow at that crossing? Island on downstream side visible?

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Some road trip. Didn't even pop a wheelie.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Leighton... never mind me sleeping on the dirt, I was more impressed with you walking up to a crowd of strangers and then winning (or at least being in the running) a beer bong competition, drinking their beer yet, and everyone applauding.

That takes uncommon talent cool

Right then, 7:10am, time to hit the road...

That must've been that other big boned wayward half-breed Yankee that you saw. My beer bong shenanigans ended in the early 90s, I'm pretty sure. Good for that dude, though. The locals were a riot and welcomed our squad in with open arms and shared their camp, their booze and maybe the best part, kick-ass brisket done right then and there and served up to all in thick, tender slabs between two slices of white bread.

I'm pretty sure this was the last evening we saw one another. Your on screen attitude seen is exactly what you're like: laid back and quietly taking in the scenery. wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vIpSx5mE3M&feature=youtu.be

At about 3am the next morning, I dunno', some 6 hours after this was shot and after our little siesta, we struck north and you gave me a whirlwind dead of night tour of SA, highlighted by a 'open all nite' taco joint feast and a viewing of the Alamo before dropping me off at the AP. Good times. You still have that cooler I gave you--the one I customized with genuine crocodile leather hinges? wink

You only live once, and I admire a man that pushes off the way you do on your trips. May your journey bring you big smiles and wonderful memories, tomodachi.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Enjoying the tour vicariously along with ya Mike. Good stuff. I’m jealous that you had some good ole Fredericksburg peaches!
Were there not any road side stands selling homemade peach ice cream anymore?

Last edited by chlinstructor; 06/26/19.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Of course I still have the cooler, tho considerably the worse for wear by now. Thinking back, they was prob’ly nice to us because we know Rog, in Corpus he’s like the rowdy nephew of the Most Interesting Man in the World guy.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Enjoying the tour vicariously along with ya Mike. Good stuff. I’m jealous that you had some good ole Fredericksburg peaches!

Indeed they were, but all on the wrong side of 290 and I was pushing to make miles. Prob’ly I was doing it wrong.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Thinking back, they was prob’ly nice to us because we know Rog, in Corpus he’s like the rowdy nephew of the Most Interesting Man in the World guy.

You might be on to sumptin'. Pretty much everywhere he's taken me down there people know him and show respect. That ol' boy is all Texan, but when he's got steel in his hand and his Mexican side starts showing, y'all best look out! wink

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Thinking back, they was prob’ly nice to us because we know Rog, in Corpus he’s like the rowdy nephew of the Most Interesting Man in the World guy.

You might be on to sumptin'. Pretty much everywhere he's taken me down there people know him and show respect. That ol' boy is all Texan, but when he's got steel in his hand and his Mexican side starts showing, y'all best look out! wink

[Linked Image]

Yep. You don't tug on Superman's cape
You don't spit into the wind
You don't pull the mask off that old Lone Ranger
And you don't Fugg with da Rog 🤠

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Indeed they were, but all on the wrong side of 290 and I was pushing to make miles. Prob’ly I was doing it wrong.

Gotcha.
If your gonna be headed up towards Abilene give me a heads up and I’ll deliver you up some beer of your choice or Gatorade and water and food to your campsite.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GregW
How was the llano flow at that crossing? Island on downstream side visible?

None that I saw, still water like upstream from a dam, but mostly I was looking west (upstream) for a photo.

Page 4 of 49 1 2 3 4 5 6 48 49

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 160user, 71 invisible), 2,285 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,669
Posts18,513,099
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.