Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by 163bc
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Laffin.....

Ever wonder why EVERYONE knows about Leupold’s “Great Customer Service?”...... probably because EVERYONE has had to use it. I bet Leupold has the hardest working repair division in the optics world.... but they’re also incredibly “reliable”? Weird.....

I have no f’n clue what SWFA or Nightforce’s “Customer Service” is like.... because in 15 years of using their stuff.... I’ve never needed “Customer Service”...

You'll need em eventually its just a matter of time. Do a google search on SWFA scope failures or Nightforce scope failures.... there are more than enough to keep their respective customer service depts plenty busy.

I might, but I doubt it.... and I bet they’re stellar. If I do need them... it’s probably because I physically broke the scope by falling on it.

During that same time period, I’ve sent back at least a dozen Leupolds.... several of them more than once.

I do have several of the old Leupold Mark II/AR 3-9s with the 1/2 MOA turrets... I’ve had no problems with those over the past 10+ years.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’ve had dozens of Leupolds. Nor sue how many I have now, probably 12-15. Got my first one in 1974, and still have it.
I had a pistol scope need service. It was on a powerful handgun. It was fixed in about three weeks, free.
I still will buy them, pretty much over other brands. I’m sure there are better and much more expensive scopes, but leupold still works for me.

NRA Patron
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Laffin.....

Ever wonder why EVERYONE knows about Leupold’s “Great Customer Service?”...... probably because EVERYONE has had to use it. I bet Leupold has the hardest working repair division in the optics world.... but they’re also incredibly “reliable”? Weird.....

I have no f’n clue what SWFA or Nightforce’s “Customer Service” is like.... because in 15 years of using their stuff.... I’ve never needed “Customer Service”...

Well spoken sir...

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Curious what the installed base of Leupold (number of units in the field in use) is, compared to these other companies. My guess would be hundreds to one but would love it if anyone does know.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When a guy post I have 30 Leupolds and have never had a problem in 30 years it tells me he mounts a scope sights it in put it in the safe, shoot a few rounds before hunting season to check zero and if it's within an inch or so it is fine. Also tells me his rifles are capable of average accuracy.
The fact a guy has 30 Leupolds means you do not shoot each one a lot. It also means you don't swap scopes a lot. It also means you don't demand high precision. Don't shoot long range and definitely don't dial for windage or elevation.
My failure rate with Leupold is higher than all my other scopes combined.
The only reason I still own them is the light weight and classic looks for my wood stock and blued hunting rifles.
You haven't lived till you had a scope that dials reliably every time, it kinda spoils you.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have 27 or 28 of them, some newer, some older, never had an issue. I bounced a Sako out of my jeep once, scratched it up, kept zero.

163bc Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by travelingman1
Curious what the installed base of Leupold (number of units in the field in use) is, compared to these other companies. My guess would be hundreds to one but would love it if anyone does know.

I’ve wondered the same thing? They have made a whole bunch of em that’s for sure. Leupold still repairs or replaces 40 year old scopes. Few if any other optics manufacturer can say that. Quite a few optics manufacturers have come and gone during the years Leupold has been steady turning them out.

https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2019...-more-scopes-last-year-than-ever-before/

Interesting read:

https://www.chuckhawks.com/leupold_tour.htm

Last edited by 163bc; 06/26/19.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I bought a new 3.5-10x40 with B&C reticle about 4 years ago. Put it on my brand new 7mm and after a few months and 150 rounds the POI started moving around. Rezero and a few weeks later it’s off again. Sent it in, they tested it and said all was fine! Got it back and it was doing fine till few weeks ago. Perfect zero one day, next time it’s 4” off at 100yds. Started adjusting it and it moved 3 times as much as the clicks should move it. I’m done with it. No more of them for me. I still own at least a dozen older ones that have been perfect. In fact, one of them sits on my favorite 300Wby. Haven’t touched a knob since 2008 when I zeroed it with its current ammo. Checked it last week, still perfect. I shoot that rifle quite often too, just like my other rifles. They don’t make them that good these days, IMO.

Last edited by John55; 06/26/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by travelingman1

I’ve wondered the same thing? They have made a whole bunch of em that’s for sure. Leupold still repairs or replaces 40 year old scopes. Few if any other optics manufacturer can say that. Quite a few optics manufacturers have come and gone during the years Leupold has been steady turning them out.

https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2019...-more-scopes-last-year-than-ever-before/

Interesting read:

https://www.chuckhawks.com/leupold_tour.htm

Be interesting to see how many of these "superior" brands are sent back after 20/30/40+ years in the field. I have had 2 4X Leupolds fail. Both were bought 2nd/3rd/4th? hand and were plum colored they were so old. Both repaired at no cost and no questions. Do they have some issues? Yes, obviously they do, with dialing, rtz, etc.. Do those issues affect 95+% of their base. No. Still happy with the dozen or so that I have and put two new (VX5 & VX6) on my rifles this year. YMMV

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by hookeye
8 new scopes................well when I bought my 8th Leupold, it was messed up.
Sent it back and they fixed it quick, and no probs after.
But the first I bought years before, was bad. So that's 2 out of 8 (they replaced it pretty quick- no probs with that one).

Yeah that was over a 15 yr period, but 2 out of 8 is pretty horrible %.

Been a few new and used since, no probs..........up until this yr.
Two of the Freedom optics.

RDS has reflection of diode holder on lens. Makes a 1 MOA dot into a 3 MOA halo/dot.

EFR 3-9X has some haze, warp all the way around outside edge of lens.

So.................not a fan of the Freedom stuff.
May send both back for repair.

Proly still get a 3.5-10X VX3i and be the last new scope I'll buy from anybody. Am pretty well set up.

I have 3 new and one used Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40s. Now I'm not a dial twister. All my dial twisting is done at the range. When I'm in the field hunting the dial twisting is usually done. Once I did twist the windage dial when I was hunting. I had a Weaver T 6x on my .308 Win. Ruger tang safety 77. I was setting up to hunt as we were driving to the blind when I looked down and the dial had turned. I didn't know which way to turn it back to zero. So I got out of the truck and rested it on my coat and took the bolt out. I put a telephone post in the center of the bore and carefully looked through the scope. Now this is no way to make precision adjustments, but I knew I needed to get the turret back on Zero. When I looked through the scope I saw it was off to the left. So I turned the turret that way and then checked again and sure enough it was right on. That's the only time I ever remember twisting a dial in the field. I use hold over and Kentucky Windage. Of course I don't shoot at game over about 400 yards.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Laffin.....

BINGO!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Laffin.....

You'll need em eventually its just a matter of time. Do a google search on SWFA scope failures or Nightforce scope failures.... there are more than enough to keep their respective customer service depts plenty busy.

I might, but I doubt it.... and I bet they’re stellar. If I do need them... it’s probably because I physically broke the scope by falling on it.

During that same time period, I’ve sent back at least a dozen Leupolds.... several of them more than once.

I do have several of the old Leupold Mark II/AR 3-9s with the 1/2 MOA turrets... I’ve had no problems with those over the past 10+ years.

Boy you're patient josh.....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
I changed out a "Lifetime warranty" U-joint in my work truck again today.

They've given me two for free but this time, I'll gladly pay more for a Spicer part because I'm sick and tired of a schitty part with a replacement warranty THAT I HAVE TO DO THE WORK ON and that could potentially leave me high and dry!!!!

Parallels my experience with Leupolds

I think the Leupold thing differs for some of us guys, because we actually are rooting for them to get things working right.

I had 4 or 5 scopes in a constant revolving door with their service dept for the better part of a year before I got tired of it.

Maybe I should give Vato Zone parts another try?

Last edited by Higbean; 06/26/19.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
How many times will they work on something before they give ya a new one??

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Thank you Leupold for twenty plus years of confidence. Only one failed (fogged up) and they could be squirrelly zeroing in, Ive had them zero in perfectly also.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Judman
How many times will they work on something before they give ya a new one??

Didn't mean to imply that Leupold had given me free scopes, just that they'd warranty them and always quite graciously I would add.

I had a bunch of 6x42's and 3.5-10's and I sold all but one m8 with friction adj. that resides on my old man's 88.

Still hoping they get things figured out and that all of the 24hcf whining gets the ball rolling.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
60 pages

No shyte...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
60 pages

No shyte...

Have you decided to trust the new one, or use the old one?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by irfubar
When a guy post I have 30 Leupolds and have never had a problem in 30 years it tells me he mounts a scope sights it in put it in the safe, shoot a few rounds before hunting season to check zero and if it's within an inch or so it is fine. Also tells me his rifles are capable of average accuracy.
The fact a guy has 30 Leupolds means you do not shoot each one a lot. It also means you don't swap scopes a lot. It also means you don't demand high precision. Don't shoot long range and definitely don't dial for windage or elevation.

Is there something to be ashamed of if you're that kind of hunter? If I were SWAG'ing it, I bet 85% + fall into this category of hunters every year, with millions of deer killed. I've never understood making out this type of hunter as a bad guy.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by AB2506
[quote=163bc]My .02 on Leupold:

I seem to be always upgrading / updating optics on my rifles, adding some new rifles to the collection here and there and putting new glass on them. I'm a hunter 1st and foremost. Sight in, set and forget is mostly what I do with my rifle scopes. I also enjoy long range shooting from time to time and have a few scopes i can twist if i want to.

I always do a lot of research on optics before I buy. Durability, quality, function and useability are a must haves for me. Leupold always makes my short list when I'm looking for new optics. Over the last 6 months so I have purchased 8 new Leupold scopes. VX-5s, VX3is, and a few long range scopes. Why am i saying this?? Well i was thinking..... I started using Leupold scopes in the early 1980, since then I have always had Leupold optics in my possession and used them regularly. I've used other brands too, some good, some not, and will likely continue to do so. I've had a Leupold or 2 that I didn't care for for different reasons thru the years but overall they are as solid and as dependable as any optic i have ever used. I'm pretty certain my average time spent hunting annually is way above the norm and in doing so I have beaten the absolute hell out of several Leupold scopes but they just kept doing what they were built to do. For full disclosure.... I've had other brands I've used heavily & tortured as well that have held up just fine. However of all my optics usage thru the years I have to say that my Leupolds have particularly shined. One VX-6 in particular has been 4 times to Africa on 2 different rifles, 1 time to Kodiak, spent countless hours banging around in PHs vehicles on safaris in scalding heat, numerous flights on both commercial and bush planes, spend countless hours in the rain all the while banging around in boats on salt water, has had hundreds of practice rounds fired under it in .375 H&H and NEVER let me down. It still sits on my 375 ready to go. Could another scope have done the same? Most likely....

With my near 40 years as a Leupold user I've been reading and watching all the Leupold bashing on this forum with some amusement. It seems to be a sport here on the campfire. Anyone who seems to speak up for Leupold is quickly flamed. I'm sure Leupold has had a few hiccups along the way, every company does at some point, but Leupold ALWAYS stands behind their products without exception. Leupold is a great AMERICAN company that has produced quality products and maintained a high level of quality for decades. They are without a doubt the gold standard in customer service in the optics industry. All other optics manufacturers try to meet the Leupold standard in customer service by which we all win.

My experience as well.[/quote

+6

Last edited by Switch; 06/27/19.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (2ndwind, 300_savage, 1badf350, 338reddog, 117LBS, 204guy, 19 invisible), 2,104 guests, and 883 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,447
Posts18,528,802
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.