Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
OP Offline
B
I’m looking at possibly purchasing one of these and was curious to see if anyone has any experience to share. I’ve read about the MRC X3 on here but couldn’t find much on the Hawkeye. Thanks in advance.

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I have (3) Hawkeyes, all of them are stainless /laminate. A .270, 25-06 and 300WM All three shoot great and they're my primary hunting rifles. I put a trigger spring from "Ernie the Gunsmith" in all three and I bedded both the 25-06 and 300WM.

I also have a X2 MRC in .260Remington. I like it, but it's a tad heavy and it was originally a chore to get it to feed/extract properly. My recommendation if you want a MRC is to buy their action, a shilen barrel and a McMillen Edge stock and find a gunsmith that can put it all together.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
MRC's website indicates the X3 is 6 lb-10 oz or 6 lb-15 oz depending with a premium synthetic stock (whatever that means because I couldn't find any more detailed description than that). Ruger lists their FTW anywhere from 7.6 to 8.2 lbs. Ruger doesn't give any details on their stock construction either. Overall weight is one thing, but so is weight distribution.

Years ago, I handled an MRC ASR .308 Win (blued walnut with monte carlo comb/scalloped forestock). It felt a little heavy around the action and seemed clunkier and heavier than my M77 MKII stainless laminate 30-06. I can't say that it actually weighed more, but it felt that way in comparison. I tried looking for the weight of MRC's action alone but they don't list it. Of course, I couldn't tell you what a Ruger 77 action weighs by itself either and Rugers are generally considered heavy in comparison to most others. Other thought ... not sure if barrel contour could have been a factor as well?

I would advise trying to handle some to compare. Probably easier said than done though since you don't typically see MRCs everywhere. Not even sure if FTWs are easy to find either. If anyone happens to know the weight of either action, I for one would be interested to know. The MRC action seems like a Model 70 CRF afficionado's dream with a few enhancements ... in theory.

B
OP Offline
B
Thank you both for your replies. I am trying to figure out a way to get my hands on both rifles but not too many places keep them in stock in Ohio, especially the X3. Originally I was all set to get an X3 as it seemed through what I had read to be a nice accurate gun and a pretty fair price, and had a better selection of chamberings available. But after reading of some people having issues with their rifles and terrible customer service I have been reconsidering.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
If you find anyone south of Columbus Ohio with an MRC X3 or MRC XAR rifle in stock, I would appreciate a heads up. I bought two of the group buy MRC X2 rifles. My two samples were easily the "smoothest" factory rifle actions I have owned. The one that I did load development for was easily sub MOA. And they would both feed right side up, up side down, vertical up, or vertical down, with any style of bullet loaded to mag length. Unfortunately, a few other group buyers were not so lucky.

My only issue was weight. Interested in "laying hands on" one of the new ones to see how different they are from the X2's...

IC B2

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have an X2 in .30-06 and love it. Customer service is a little slow, but it'll get done. New ownership is working on service and tightening QC.
Bob

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Ruger if it's not right Ruger will make it right. MRC who knows?

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Briarcliff
I’m looking at possibly purchasing one of these and was curious to see if anyone has any experience to share. I’ve read about the MRC X3 on here but couldn’t find much on the Hawkeye. Thanks in advance.

To my understanding, Montana uses Ruger actions. If correct, materials fit and finish would be the difference in the two rifles. Think I'd be inclined to go Ruger, that way should something not suit me (barrel, stock, trigger), I have the remaining budget too correct to my taste.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
To my understanding, Montana uses Ruger actions. If correct, materials fit and finish would be the difference in the two rifles. Think I'd be inclined to go Ruger, that way should something not suit me (barrel, stock, trigger), I have the remaining budget too correct to my taste.
Good God, how in the HELL does someone like you even have the brains to remember to breathe let alone logon to the internet and post that nonsense. Someone posted a pretty damned clear photo of an MRC action WITHIN THIS VERY THREAD that makes it WAY BEYOND OBVIOUS that MRC actions and Ruger actions ain't NOWHERE close to being the same. The MRC is a bastardized Winchester 70 derivative with the same trigger. The Ruger 77 iterations are their own animal. MRC does/did have Pinetree Castings -- a Ruger subsidiary -- manufacture their actions.

Jackie Treehorn: Treats objects like women.

Montana uses Ruger actions.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gee Jackie, hope all that made your day better. Must have missed that photo of the action, glad you caught it. Could you quote that post, isn't showing up here. Now as you've pointed out I'm have some problems being cogent. So ruger makes/made their actions, but it's not like a ruger action. Your inference is the ruger is not a bastardized Winchester type action. How I missed all this is beyond me, glad you're here to shine the light. I'll wait on that action photo.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gee Jackie, hope all that made your day better. Must have missed that photo of the action, glad you caught it. Could you quote that post, isn't showing up here. Now as you've pointed out I'm have some problems being cogent. So ruger makes/made their actions, but it's not like a ruger action. Your inference is the ruger is not a bastardized Winchester type action. How I missed all this is beyond me, glad you're here to shine the light. I'll wait on that action photo.
Get someone to explain this to you, dummy. RGK's photo is pretty damned obvious that it's NOT a Ruger 77 derivative.
Dick Austin, too stupid for words.

He also has a pretty clear photo of a Model 77 that ought to be obvious to someone as dense as you:
Look at the differences, dummy.

MRC uses separate scope mount bases and rings.

Model 77 uses integral scope mount system.

MRC uses Winchester Model 70 trigger and interchanges with same.

Ruger uses proprietary trigger and sear.

MRC uses Winchester Model 70 bottom metal and interchanges with same.

Ruger uses proprietary bottom metal.

MRC has a flat bottom action.

Ruger uses an angled front guard screw.

MRC uses a Model 70-type safety mounted to the bolt shroud.

Ruger Model 77 Mark II and Hawkeye iterations use a safety mounted on the bolt.

MRC photos:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Ruger photos:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Savvy, Dick? No savvy?

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Jackie, do yourself and everyone a favor and get some fresh air.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Not sure he said Ruger 77 action...

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
This is his quote:

Not a Ruger action. Not even close. It's an MRC action. I'm starting to understand what Big Stick means by the "do nothing gang" whenever I see the garbage Dick Austin posts. And it's a real bonus when he gets defensive when he gets called out.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
What the hell happened to the Ruger pictured?

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What the hell happened to the Ruger pictured?
Damaged by Katrina, according to the person who posted it.
http://www.theguncounter.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11499

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jackie_Treehorn
This is his quote:

Not a Ruger action. Not even close. It's an MRC action. I'm starting to understand what Big Stick means by the "do nothing gang" whenever I see the garbage Dick Austin posts. And it's a real bonus when he gets defensive when he gets called out.

Hi Jackie, dick here. I'm sorry to point out that your conclusions are not quite factual. Not defensive, nor in any way offended . I'm just trying to resolve your issue of the ruger action not being a ruger action. Are they both cast or machined from whole stock. I'm asking as I'm sure you'll know.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is his quote:
Hi Jackie, dick here. I'm sorry to point out that your conclusions are not quite factual. Not defensive, nor in any way offended . I'm just trying to resolve your issue of the ruger action not being a ruger action. Are they both cast or machined from whole stock. I'm asking as I'm sure you'll know.
Hey, Dick, you were just wrong. Now you're trying to change the subject. Get back to doing whatever it is you're "good" at, which appears to be nothing. Not even Googling. You know, like the DO NOTHING GANG that Big Stick references.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9584554/1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is his quote:
Hey, Dick, you were just wrong. Now you're trying to change the subject. Get back to doing whatever it is you're "good" at, which appears to be nothing. Not even Googling. You know, like the DO NOTHING GANG that Big Stick references.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthrea,ds/ubbthreads.php/topics/9584554/1

Geeez Jackie (does someone force you to go by "Jackie"?), you sound pretty worked up. Anything you want to talk about? Wife divorcing you/fooling around? Kids hate you? Mom tried to ween you.. we're here to help. So ruger makes the action, but it's not a tiger action. Ok Jackie, better?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is his quote:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthrea,ds/ubbthreads.php/topics/9584554/1
Geeez Jackie (does someone force you to go by "Jackie"?), you sound pretty worked up. Anything you want to talk about? Wife divorcing you/fooling around? Kids hate you? Mom tried to ween you.. we're here to help. So ruger makes the action, but it's not a tiger action. Ok Jackie, better?
Holy Christ, Dick? Just how much of a petty bastard ARE you?

SIXTEEN POSTS HAVE BEEN MADE IN THIS FORUM SINCE WE LAST DISCUSSED THIS AND YOUR EGO JUST CAN'T LET IT GO THAT YOU DIDN'T KNOW WHAT IN THE HELL YOU WERE POSTING.

Why is that, Dick? Any normal person wouldn't have reacted like you have. Any NORMAL person wouldn't have felt compelled to post the nonsensical drivel you posted in the first place.

MRC doesn't use Ruger actions. You understand that, don't you, Dick?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

694 members (1badf350, 1lessdog, 160user, 16penny, 1936M71, 73 invisible), 2,802 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,951
Posts18,499,053
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.