Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
If I’ve got more than two deer or elk points in CO... I screwed up... I like to hunt way too much.

I’d rather spend a lifetime hunting... than sit on my ass and build points.... hoping to draw that one hunt of a lifetime.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
GB1

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by efw

In spite of all that, however, I’m grateful for the guys who are promoting the sport in various ways as apologists to a new generation of hunters. In a democratic republic we need that...

An AZ deer camp of 17, consisting of several crews running cameras, all pinpointing the location, is obviously promoting the sport. AZ deer apps up 168,000. Again, good job. Thank you.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
How is the increase bad.... other than making it harder for YOU to get a tag?

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

Thanks for reminding me again. Lots of hunters in my area is a good thing. They are good guys. Is that rain on my back.........

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E

Originally Posted by ctsmith
Originally Posted by efw

In spite of all that, however, I’m grateful for the guys who are promoting the sport in various ways as apologists to a new generation of hunters. In a democratic republic we need that...

An AZ deer camp of 17, consisting of several crews running cameras, all pinpointing the location, is obviously promoting the sport. AZ deer apps up 168,000. Again, good job. Thank you.

So if a person appreciates the general attempts by some of these guys to promote our way of life then they have GOT to approve of every thing they do along the way.

Check; sorry my bad.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hunters are just as selfish as any other group of people out there.

It better benefit me, me, me, me, me: else it's bullshit.

No wonder the world is so jacked up...

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by ctsmith

Thanks for reminding me again. Lots of hunters in my area is a good thing. They are good guys. Is that rain on my back.........

More apps doesn’t mean more hunters in your area... they still give the same number of tags. It just means they’re harder to draw.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T

It don’t make it harder in AZ, if you already have bps built and the new 168,000 have to start at the bottom....you will draw before them.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
And some of you think this is recruiting "new" hunters???? Really????

Child please...... Fuuck

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
So you guys thinks kids are watching this shiit??? Haha

No it's brokedick dummies that can't\won't do their own research... I see guys at work zooming in on Idaho tags to see what elk tag people buy, guys looking at trailhead signs dumb randy has posted, but boy don't pm randy to ask about a certain unit he's hunted...... He'll sure take handouts though, matter of fact randy will suck miles of cock to do a hunt, and exploit a area.....

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Colorado changed their draw last year.... and it amounted to a huge increase in NR apps. I didn’t draw a tag that any other year I would have easily drawn... and I was a little pissed about it. BUT... a bunch of my buddies applied, when they wouldn’t have before.... so I got to help my brother, and a couple other pards, shoot deer.... I wouldn’t have had that opportunity otherwise.

I get it man... often, it’s tough to look at the impact beyond our front door. But, if all hunters felt and acted like you are now... then hunting would cease to exist... as those guys would work very hard to keep it to themselves.

It’s hard to believe it sometimes.... especially when you hump your ass 4 miles into the schitt... only to see a half dozen orange vests scattered around a particular basin.... but we really do need more hunters. Even if that means some of us have to get the occasional short end of the stick.

Furthermore.... just because you don’t have a tag in your pocket... doesn’t mean you don’t get to hunt. I “hunted” at least 15 days last year... where I didn’t even pack a rifle. There’s always a kid to take hunting.... unless you’re trying to keep it all for yourself.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Josh youd probably like at the amount of "first" deer, elk, and bear I've "taken" people too.... Won't say guided, but I took people too, kids and adults..... Time to raise prices I guess....

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Otter6
Originally Posted by Judman
Ya they’re doing great!! Hell I didn’t even draw Montana biggame combo with the purchase of a preference point, first time in almost 20 years!!

Get use to it. The more folks that bale out of Colorado's circus, the more headed that direction.

When I was a kid. If you knew someone that made regular trips west to hunt, you were the minority. They were usually men of means. Some were just robust folks that would tent camp in God's country with little more than an outfit of "Hunting" clothes and whatever rifle they owned. Just look at us now! Un fricking real what we need to survive a season of elk hunting.

What use to be a one trip out west dream is now "How many states will we draw this year !? ".

We can review this again ...... Why is hunting out of state so much popular now than 10-20 years ago??? WHY????

Ain’t easy havin pals.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Judman
So you guys thinks kids are watching this shiit??? Haha

No it's brokedick dummies that can't\won't do their own research... I see guys at work zooming in on Idaho tags to see what elk tag people buy, guys looking at trailhead signs dumb randy has posted, but boy don't pm randy to ask about a certain unit he's hunted...... He'll sure take handouts though, matter of fact randy will suck miles of cock to do a hunt, and exploit a area.....

There is a lot of truth in this post.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I know you have Jud.... you’re one of the good guys.

And I hear, and empathize with both sides of this coin.

My kids LOVE watching Randy Newberg... and it’s about the only “hunting” show I’ll let them watch. When my son found out he drew his first CO deer tag (3rd Season Buck)... he went and watched every single one of Randy’s Colorado deer hunts. He sees Randy work hard, and miss, and fail.... as well as succeed. It has sparked his interest, heightened his anticipation.... but also helped to temper his expectations. Not a lot of shows out there do that.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yes and to think a "new" or "casual" hunter is gonna apply for years, collect points etc , burn vacation time, spend $ for 35-50 lbs of boned out meat is absurd...... These podcast\shows ain't about hunter recruiting, they're about exploiting a resource to fuuckers that are too lazy to do their own homework take their chances making their own news....

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll agree these shows are not doing much to recruit new hunters....but they're encouraging casual hunters to take advantage of a lot more opportunity, and they're certainly promoting public access to public land. I see that as a good thing.

It does suck watching the draw odds go down. I've seen some of my favorite tags in Wyoming go from 100% odds third choice to less than 100% odds first choice just in the last few years, but it is what it is, and it is generally putting a positive light on the sport of hunting to the fence sitting, non-hunting folks. I am just waiting for some of my favorite general season areas to go to a draw, as more and more hunters buy tags and crowd the woods. It sucks but I can see some good in it. I have also been seeing a lot more people who throw their trash in the woods, 4x4 off road and generally be a complete ass in the hunting grounds.

There's good and bad effects to most all actions, I guess.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Do we need recruitment? Yes.

Is a new hunter going to bail if he can’t draw a tag and doesn’t have the resources to apply in multiple states to up his chances? Hell yes.

Should we be laying out application strategies, naming easier units to draw in a state, showing obvious land marks, trail heads etc? Hell no.

Some may be ok with seeing a sea of orange, that’s not what it’s about for me.

Yes, there is only a limited number of tags, but like you, myself, and many others, we get our fix by tagging along/helping others putting even more in the field. Never really saw “posse” hunting around here till 6 or 7 years ago, now you see it quit a bit in our better units. Saw the first camera on a dirt tank that is pretty remote last year, hiked in with a buddy to look around this weekend and there are 7 on the tank.

Hope I’m wrong, but I don’t think this new age of easy information is going to be good for our sport in the long game

It’s hard to believe it sometimes.... especially when you hump your ass 4 miles into the schitt... only to see a half dozen orange vests scattered around a particular basin.... but we really do need more hunters.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I guess one problem with " on your own adventures " is, it's never "randy" on his own..... Hint

Ain’t easy havin pals.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
So the only thing it hurts.... is YOUR ability to draw a tag... that’s it.

Doesn’t hurt revenue.... in fact it bolsters it.

Doesn’t hurt the animals... the same number of tags get given out....

Doesn’t hurt the “new” or “casual” hunter... it gives them ideas and areas to attempt to draw, Hunt, harvest....

This whole argument seems pretty selfish and shortsighted to me. I get it... but there’s a lot more to it than how it effects the guys who called dibs on particular areas or tags.

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 80 invisible), 2,698 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,478
Posts18,471,669
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.