Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Now that the majority of posters in this section has condemned Leupold scopes and their progeny, what will you use in the future?

Should scopes even have black tubes or gold markings anymore? I'm thinking that people might mistake them for Leupolds. Perhaps they should be camoflaged, made a dull brown, flat blue, or painted vibrant reds, yellows and pinks...for the benchrest crowd, and gay people...but I'm not saying that BR shooters are gay, ok? Just trying to be all inclusive. Although I suppose some of the BR crowd probably are, but again, that's ok. Just trying to be all inclusive. frown

Apart from properly fixing the erectors, the knobs, reticles, and other stuff I probably missed, is there something that Leupold should do to make amends to the shooting public? blush

Years ago, they would have taken the owners or senior people into the public square and had them flogged. Would that be a possibility? I was just thinking that they might do things properly if they knew that it was not going to go well for them personally. You know, if they put profits above quality. eek

Should there be a sheriff's sale of the factory and property to another scope company? eek

Should Leupold users be shunned by Zeiss or NF owners? Or shamed into divesting themselves of all their Leupold scopes in favour of something of higher quality? mad

I'm confused. See, I only have one Leupold, so I don't feel angry or ashamed. Should I be ashamed though? I did get it repaired up here (for free), but what other 4 power scopes would do?

So many questions. So confusing...

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
They should all be forced to use nothing but Fram filters in their vehicles.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most here get flogged if they dont use the campfire "favorite" and accused of not being real "shooters" by the self-proclaimed experts. I'd take any Leupold anybody wants to get rid of cause they're such POS. I'll even take them "broken". They've worked for me for years, but again, I'm not a real shooter according to some here. Between mine and many of my family's and friends Leupolds, not one has gone bad. Yes a few are set and forget and only shoot a handful of times a year, but they never have to re-zero every year either and they're on 300wm and 7mm mags.

Ill take any Leupold on any hunt anywhere and be confident in the scope. So if you want to get rid on one....send it my way. I'll take the bullying from the "experts" here.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Okay, but what scope, other than Leupold, would you use? Just pretend Trump closed Leupold down.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I think I could live with a Burris...but I'm not a real shooter either.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Most here want a 3 pound rifle and a 4 pound scope, for a combined weight of about 7 pounds. A minimum 56mm objective is required and rings with 6 screws on each side, because that's tacticool and everything. I'd recommend spending at least $2K US or you will be ridiculed and ostracized by those who know more than you do, and that's everybody here.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by LEADMINER
I think I could live with a Burris...but I'm not a real shooter either.

^^^This^^^

It damn sure wouldn’t be a Vortex.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I forgot, it must be at least 40 power top end, 12 or 15 bottom. That way you can shoot the ubiquitous 0.09 inch groups, "if you do your part"

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have more Leupolds than any other brand but decided to move on after experiencing several broken reticles (3), all of which succumbed to the vicious recoil of a 22 rimfire rifle. I also got tired of the inaccurate tracking on a few Leupolds. My last three scope purchases have been Meopta's.

Last edited by Labman95; 06/28/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted by Borchardt
I forgot, it must be at least 40 power top end, 12 or 15 bottom. That way you can shoot the ubiquitous 0.09 inch groups, "if you do your part"

What?! Don't you know all you need is a fixed 6x power to shoot those types of groups at 1000+ yards!

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
So, which 40x scope would you buy then? Or more to the point, which manufacturer would you put your trust in?

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Anybody that needs a scope is just a sissy and aught to learn to hunt instead of relying on optics, rangefinders and long range shooting to succeed. Any hunter worthy of the name can get close enough to game to use iron sights effectively.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Sorry, it's not 1850 anymore. Next competitor.

What manufacturer do you trust?

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I only now own one Leupold. I have had issues with some other Leupolds. Mostly tracking and not holding zero. Not a 40X, but a 8X32 Mueller for a target 22LR. No issues at all, and it was a "cheap" scope. For other rifles, Kahles, Zeiss, Sightron, and Burris have severed me well. Of course I can't shoot very well either. I don't hate Leopold's, I have just found that there are many other options that are perhaps better than some of the current offerings.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had very good results from Bushnell/Bausch & Lomb Elite scopes in 2.5 -10 x 42, and 6-24 x 40 and my son uses the Bushnell UHD Elite binos for hunting and has been very happy with them. Looking at the new line of Bushnell in the Forge or maybe step up to the LRTS line when or if I need a new scope anytime soon...

The glass in the Bausch & Lombs and Bushnell has been very good IMO. I do have a couple Weavers on my rimfires that are okay for rimfire ranges, but the glass doesn't hold a candle to the Leupy's and Bushnells I own.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by smithrjd
I only now own one Leupold. I have had issues with some other Leupolds. Mostly tracking and not holding zero. Not a 40X, but a 8X32 Mueller for a target 22LR. No issues at all, and it was a "cheap" scope. For other rifles, Kahles, Zeiss, Sightron, and Burris have severed me well. Of course I can't shoot very well either. I don't hate Leopold's, I have just found that there are many other options that are perhaps better than some of the current offerings.

Don't feel bad. Testify! I have two Mueller 8-32s. One is on a 22. The other is on a 6x45mm. They work just fine. If one were to fail, I'd get another. Both get cranked around, but probably not as aggressively as the LR folks. Mind you, 100 yd is a LR shot for a 22LR.

Ever since I was a kid, I thought that Leupold, Zeiss and others were overpriced. But that's me. It's what you or me, or someone else is happy with, and works for them.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yep, 1/8" at 100 yards, going from 50 to 100 yards does involve some "clicking" My issue is the right left for the windage.... Up/down I can dope.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've come to like the Nightforce SHV 3-10X42 with a Forceplex as an all-around hunting scope.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Must be that dead time between Matlock and Murder She Wrote..... cause the Golden Ring Girls are getting all worked up....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Then you should probably just sit back and watch TV until the bedtime bell rings. crazy

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1234, 16gage, 60 invisible), 2,718 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,611
Posts18,473,887
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.