-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I was recently at the Indianapolis NRA Show, there were several African outfitters at the show and some of them had prices of less than $5000 for a starting African hunt . That did not include airfare. Hunts in Africa are like a buffet that you paid for each different meal. Each animal has a price tag on it I’ve even seen where you can shoot a baboon for $150. Why anyone would shoot a baboon I do not know but to each his own. So yes this can be done for $5000 when some of outfitters are running specials. But when you go to Africa you are not allowed to bring the meat back. Usually what you shoot will be your meal that night or possibly the next day. One of the big expenses you will have coming back is the transportation of your heads or if you have the taxidermy work done in Africa having them sent back to you. I have done several elk hunts in New Mexico. The price he is asking is very fair if he is including the landowner permits. Airfare to Africa is usually going to run you over $1000. That’s if you get a direct flight. If you have to have a layover and you stop in England you will have to pay somebody to transport your guns to a holding place and also in the morning to transfer them from the holding place to your flight, that will cost you several hundred dollars. Flights to New Mexico Typically are around the five to $600 range during hunting season.typically . Many of the outfitters will not pick you up at the airport so you will have to have your own transportation to hunting camp typically you’re looking at around four to $500 for car or truck rental. For the week. Elk hunting is one of my favorite types of hunting Nothing more than exciting than having a big Bull screaming at you first thing in the morning. Africa is definitely on my bucket list I have not gone yet but would love to go. I’ve done quite a bit of research on it and my first African hunt would be definitely for plains game. One thing to consider if you go to Africa some of the Hunts are High fence Others are free range, Make sure you have that clear with your outfitter before you go.

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Bump for a great sounding elk hunt in a beautiful part of NM.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The type of African hunt this fellow talks about might appeal to some and that is fine, but these are not wild animals they are sheep in different clothing. When I did my Moose and then Brown bear I was able to tag them on the next to last of 12 days of hard hunting, the hunt is what makes it worth while. When I Deer hunt in the US yes a couple times I scored on respectable buck on the first couple of days but many went the full term and sometimes nothing worth shooting showed up but again its hunting not shooting. I dare someone claim to get 7 different species in Alaska in one week, unless they are domestically animals let out the day you show up. Good outfitters for the most part are worth their price since they know how to hunt them where they may hang out, if you had to go up weeks before the season the price would come out very similar plus they have the equipment and muscle to get the job done. Sure some charge high prices but just keep looking, like they say why do divorces cost so much?...because they are worth it

NRA Life Member. Illinois Rifle Assoc Life Member, USN,
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Serious manners are lacking when someone soils a respectable persons post. Then he goes on and compares it to an African hunt , apples and oranges.

The original poster has provided his full name and contact information and is very transparent.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A couple of interesting points $5K does not get much in the US and for the most part it would be for 1 animal and that is fine with me. When I did my drop hunt for moose in 2000 it cost me roughly 6K with no taxidermy, Caribou a few years latter roughly $4K, Brown Bear with a 1on1 guide with taxidermy full mount just shy 0f 30K. My shipping was cheap in my opinion, a couple years ago I hunted Musk ox, not cheap but what woke me up to get the cape horns and remainder hide was in the 3.5K range, everyone had their hands out the package went half way around the world for various reasons and the US imported and F&W US was about 30% of this amount and the crate only weighed 50 pounds. I did the hunt in March 2017 and received the crate a couple of weeks ago, a little over 2 years.
I have no interest with Africa but a few of my friend have and most will only take pictures now and leave everything there since the handling charges many times exceed the cost of the hunt, a couple of the hides where destroyed due to improper preparation.

NRA Life Member. Illinois Rifle Assoc Life Member, USN,
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by akgrabt
You are all hilarious. Thanks for the hours of laughs. Good luck with the hunts. As I stated I do hope you find hunters for them. Now back to more important things like work, lol.
Another dip chit who has NO clue.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Different hunts, different continents, different logistics, different priorities, different prices...Seems likes reasonably priced hunt to me, wish I had the time and money.

GLWS and GLTP

Charlie

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have not been to NM for elk in several years but the last time I was there landowner tags were going for 4K. So the outfitter has 4K out of pocket before you get there. If the price of the hunt is 7500 and the outfitter has 4K in the tag he is actually charging you for 3500 for a 5 day hunt. $700 a day less whatever he is paying the guide, cook, wrangler and his costs for food, gas and other supplies, etc., etc.

Not as much left in it for the outfitter as you might think.

Seems like a reasonably priced hunt to me. Unless you draw a tag, this is what you can expect to pay to hunt a trophy bull elk in NM,

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Jim runs a fabulous operation and is honest as they come. Is he says it, take it to the bank. $7500 is very fair for a quality elk hunt, those that think otherwise are out of touch.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
the elk hunt would be a safer hunt for a white guy for now ? if i had the money i think this N.M. elk hunt would be a great deal if you see and get a chance at a nice bull within 300 yards for a kill shot.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Well I've been on a couple Elk hunts in NM and I've even been out there coyote hunting about 6 times to be exact because that's my favorite thing to do is predator hunt. I've called in things that, well that's a different thread. I know the state of NM as well or better than the state I live in now as far as knowing where to go and for what to hunt. I've got a couple nice Elk through the years but nothing like what this guy is offering by a long shot because I guided myself. I met a rancher in Roswell at Walmart one time and I have full rein of his ranch. I've seen pronghorn there that would make B&C blush but I don't care nothing about killing a goat. I have no need or any interest to go to Africa with a bunch of spear chucking guides or wonder if I'm going to end up in a pot of soup the next night. Hell I've been all over the world and I've even seen kids fight over a Snickers bar, almost to the death in Honduras one time I was there. Anyway if I got a hankering to go hunt animals that are not indigenous to North America I'll go to Texas. There are guides and ranchers there that have high wire fencees in Texas that hold all that type of that same game and it is surely not the kind of hunt that I would go on as long as I breath. Any hooo, this seems like a wonderful hunt and a hunt of a lifetime. I surely can't afford it but you guys that can, I would not hesitate for a moment. Good luck to hoomever goes and have a great time. If anyone wants to go on predator hunt out west and need a partner, I'll pay half and we will definitely have a good time. This is all my opinion and not the gospel.

Mike
RLTW

89-92 7th INF. DIV.
92-93 RASP-Ranger Tab
93-97 1ST BN

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm sure it will be a great hunt, but this is why I hunt Africa. 9 days, 9 animals including a 700lb 50" Kudu bull, all in including flights $5k. I realize everyone has to make money but American hunts are just off the charts expensive.

why are running down a guy and a hunt that you know nothing about

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Wow tonight must be Internet tough guy night

More like internet retard night... Good news, you're winning.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Back to the top for some great Elk hunts.... Jim is good to go...

Originally Posted by JFWRC
Hello:

Hope all the Campfire folks are doing well.

Jim Welles here. As many of you know, I own and operate JFW Ranch Consulting, LLC, with my wife Kelly at 10600 Eagle Rock Ave, Albuquerque, NM 87122. My office phone number is 505.294.7861. My cell number is 505-967-6562. Our e-mail address is JFWRCcomcast.net. Kelly and I have been guiding and outfitting in NM over 30 years now.

We currently have TWO awesome opportunities for elk hunting on our Block Ranch located 20 miles NE of Capitan, NM. The link to the Block on our website is as follows:

https://www.newmexicobiggamehunting.com/hunt/private-deer-elk-antelope-hunts/

You should see a slider bar with bulls harvested on this ranch over the years. I have many more pictures to display and will do so in new posts......

Some of you may know that NM has made major changes to the way elk are hunted. Rest assured that the owners of the Block Ranch WILL NOT be changing their management style and hunting mature bulls will remain the goal. This hunt will be guided 2x1. The earliest date available will be October 15 for 5 days. However, we can work with hunters on dates. Lodging and meals are provided. This hunt is priced at $7,500ea + 7% NM Tax. Non-resident license fees are $65 for a Game License + $555 License + $5 for stamps.

Please call or e-mail us with questions. 505-294-7861 or JFWRCcomcast.net.

Thank you Campfire Members!!

Jim
www.newmexicobiggamehunting.com

J
JFWRC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
[Linked Image]

New Mexico Elk Deer Antelope Sheep
J
JFWRC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
[Linked Image]

J
JFWRC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
[Linked Image]

J
JFWRC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
[Linked Image]

J
JFWRC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
[Linked Image]

J
JFWRC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

694 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 153, 10ring1, 73 invisible), 2,953 guests, and 1,390 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,975
Posts18,480,777
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.